The much anticipated Rivers of Light will finally debut at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World on February 17, 2017.
Rivers of Light is a 15-minute show combining live performance, floating set pieces, a soaring musical score, fountains and more in a celebration of animals and nature on the Discovery River inside the park.
The ceremony begins with a musical overture signaling the arrival of a pair of mystical Storytellers, two complementary forces who come to the river bearing gifts of light. They set out from the shore aboard elaborate lantern vessels.
Adorned in intricately designed costumes, the hosts engage in a dramatic dance of water and light to summon the animal spirits – an Asian Tiger, Tropical Turtle, African Elephant and Great Horned Owl – and take guests on a wondrous journey across Asian jungles and African savannahs.
Disney challenged renowned Broadway production designer Michael Curry to create vessels that were artistic and stimulating, yet innovative. The commanding lanterns stand 15 feet tall and are 30 feet long, illuminated from within by innovative LED technology.
Rivers of Light also includes a powerful musical score created by songwriter and composer Don L. Harper and recorded at the renowned Abbey Road Studio in London. The signature song “We Are One” was written by Mark Mancina, who created the score and was a key collaborator on the music for Disney’s hit animated feature film Moana.
Seating is located in the park’s Discovery River lagoon near Expedition Everest. The show will seat only 5,000 guests – by comparison Fantasmic’s theater holds 6,900. Seating is first-come, first-served, but FastPass+ availability and optional dining packages (with Tusker House or TIffins), get priority entrance.
Rivers of Light is included with admission to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. For more information or to reserve advance FastPass+ spots, visit disneyworld.com. For dining package reservations, visit DisneyWorld.com/dining or call 407 WDW-DINE.
[Images courtesy Walt Disney World]
- Orlando Museum of Art Plans Downtown Orlando Expansion and More for Centennial Celebration .. @OMAOrlando #OrlandoMuseumOfArt #DowntownOrlando #OrlandoArts - May 13, 2021
- LEGOLAND Florida To Open New LEGO MYTHICA 4D and AR Experience May 27, 2021 .. @LEGOLANDFlorida #LEGOMythica #BuiltForKids - May 13, 2021
- Viva La Música Returns to SeaWorld Orlando Weekends May 15-23, 2021 .. #SeaWorldOrlando #VivaLaMusica - May 12, 2021
- Gatorland Hosts Gatorpalooza Fun Fest 2021 on May 15-16 .. @Gatorland #Gatorland #OrlandoAttractions #Gatorpalooza - May 12, 2021
- 62nd Annual Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival Returns to Central Park May 14-16, 2021 .. @WPSAF #WinterParkArts #CentralFlorida #ArtFestivals - May 11, 2021
- OneBlood Announces Critical Appeal for Blood Donors of All Blood Types .. @My1Blood #BloodDonations - May 11, 2021
- Local Restaurants Band Together for BBQ Around Orlando May 12 In Memory of Chef Chuck Cobb .. #ChefCobb #OrlandoFoodies #OrlandoRestaurants - May 10, 2021
- ‘Disney After Hours BOO BASH’ Coming to Magic Kingdom this Fall .. @WaltDisneyWorld #WaltDisneyWorld #DisneyHalloween #BooBash - May 8, 2021
- Daytona Lagoon Presents the 2021 Kraken’s Revenge Slide Challenge May 15, 2021 .. #DaytonaLagoon #KrakensRevenge #DaytonaBeach #WaterParks - May 7, 2021
- Vote for Frontier Airlines Next Orlando Wing Animal! .. @VisitOrlando @FlyFrontier #VoteOrlandoFrontierTail @CentralFLZoo @WildFlorida @SEALIFEOrlando @Gatorland - May 7, 2021