The much anticipated Rivers of Light will finally debut at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World on February 17, 2017.
Rivers of Light is a 15-minute show combining live performance, floating set pieces, a soaring musical score, fountains and more in a celebration of animals and nature on the Discovery River inside the park.
The ceremony begins with a musical overture signaling the arrival of a pair of mystical Storytellers, two complementary forces who come to the river bearing gifts of light. They set out from the shore aboard elaborate lantern vessels.
Adorned in intricately designed costumes, the hosts engage in a dramatic dance of water and light to summon the animal spirits – an Asian Tiger, Tropical Turtle, African Elephant and Great Horned Owl – and take guests on a wondrous journey across Asian jungles and African savannahs.
Disney challenged renowned Broadway production designer Michael Curry to create vessels that were artistic and stimulating, yet innovative. The commanding lanterns stand 15 feet tall and are 30 feet long, illuminated from within by innovative LED technology.
Rivers of Light also includes a powerful musical score created by songwriter and composer Don L. Harper and recorded at the renowned Abbey Road Studio in London. The signature song “We Are One” was written by Mark Mancina, who created the score and was a key collaborator on the music for Disney’s hit animated feature film Moana.
Seating is located in the park’s Discovery River lagoon near Expedition Everest. The show will seat only 5,000 guests – by comparison Fantasmic’s theater holds 6,900. Seating is first-come, first-served, but FastPass+ availability and optional dining packages (with Tusker House or TIffins), get priority entrance.
Rivers of Light is included with admission to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. For more information or to reserve advance FastPass+ spots, visit disneyworld.com. For dining package reservations, visit DisneyWorld.com/dining or call 407 WDW-DINE.
[Images courtesy Walt Disney World]
- The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art Offering Free Admission Sept 17-22, 2019 .. @MorseMuseum - September 16, 2019
- SeaWorld Orlando Announces Details of New Coaster for 2020 .. @SeaWorld #SeaWorldOrlando #IceBreaker - September 15, 2019
- Central Florida Auto Show Returns to Orlando Sept 20-22 + Win Tickets! .. @OrlandoAutoShow - September 14, 2019
- SeaWorld Orlando and Firehouse Subs Partner Together to Honor Florida First Responders with Free Admission .. #SeaWorldOrlando - September 10, 2019
- Central Florida Foodies Events For September 2019 .. #OrlandoFoodies - September 9, 2019
- Walt Disney World to Close Early on Sept 3 Due to Hurricane Dorian ::UPDATED:: .. @WaltDisneyWorld @VisitOrlando #HurricaneDorian - September 2, 2019
- Walt Disney World To Live Stream Dedication Ceremony of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Aug 28 .. #StarWars #StarWarsGalaxysEdge - August 27, 2019
- All-New Lagoon Show to Debut at Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights 2019 .. #HHN29 @UniversalOrl @HorrorNightsORL - August 22, 2019
- Orlando’s Downtown Arts District Hosts Art After Dark Aug 24 .. @OrlandoSlice - August 21, 2019
- The Wheel at ICON Park Orlando to Light Up in UF & UM Team Colors Aug 23-24 .. @ICONParkOrlando @UF @UnivMiami - August 21, 2019