Everybody knows the story of The Wizard of Oz as told from Dorothy’s point of view. But the hit musical Wicked tells the story from the witches Glinda and Elphaba (aka “The Wicked Witch of the West”) point of view.
This show has been a bucket-list item for years, and last night, I finally got to experience it at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. It was everything I thought it would be and more.
The story begins when Elphaba is born, then jumps to when she and Glinda meet for the first time at school. We get to see their friendship grow, then get tested as life events create hatred from the people towards Elphaba. Towards the end of the show, we see interactions with Dorothy but still from the witches’ point of view, and there is a surprise ending, as well.
Wicked is highly entertaining, with catchy songs, great acting, and imaginative sets. The touring cast, especially Jessica Vosk as Elphaba and Amanda Jane Cooper as Glinda, inject a lot of humor – especially physical humor – into the story, and they seem to be having a lot of fun with it.
But Wicked is also an important story about how preconceived notions, and hatred and fear of people who are different, can have devastating results. It’s also a good reminder not to judge people until you hear both sides of the story.
If you want to check out Wicked for yourself (and I suggest you do), it will be at the Dr. Phillips Center through January 29, 2017. Show run Tuesday through Sunday evenings, with matinees on Saturdays and Sundays.
Tickets start at $42.75. They may be purchased online at drphillipscenter.org, by calling 844.513.2014 or by visiting the Dr. Phillips Center Box Office.
There is also a Ticket Lottery for each show. A limited number of $25 orchestra seats will be available. 2 1/2 hours before each performance, names will be collected for 1/2 hour, then names will be drawn to purchase up to 2 tickets, cash only. Winners must be present (with valid ID) or they forfeit the right to purchase the lottery tickets.
[Disclaimer: CitySurfing Orlando was invited to a media night performance. My opinions are always honest, and completely my own.]
- Florida Back To School Sales Tax Holiday Returns July 31-Aug 9, 2021 .. #SchoolTaxHoliday #BacktoSchool #FloridaSchools - July 30, 2021
- The Second City Returns to Dr. Phillips Center Oct 1-2, 2021 .. @DrPhillipsCtr #TheSecondCity #OrlandoComedy - July 29, 2021
- Downtown Arts District Will Host “Art After Dark” Young Professionals Art Event August 14, 2021 .. #DowntownArtsDistrict #ArtAfterDark #CityArtsOrlando #OrlandoArts - July 28, 2021
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex to Host Launch Viewing for ULA Atlas V Starliner Orbital Flight Test July 30 .. @ExploreSpaceKSC #ULAAtlasV #KSCLaunches - July 27, 2021
- Dr. Phillips Center in Orlando to Host ‘Lasting Impressions’ 3D/LED Art Installation Aug 13-Sept 26, 2021 .. @DrPhillipsCtr #LastingImpressions #OrlandoArts - July 27, 2021
- Out and About: Awakened Auras Co. in Downtown Kissimmee Stocks Crystals and More For Sale .. #AwakenedAurasCo #DowntownKissimmee #Kissimmee #MetaphysicalArts #ShopLocal - July 26, 2021
- Walt Disney World Adds 50th Anniversary Medallion to Cinderella’s Castle at Magic Kingdom .. @WaltDisneyWorld #WaltDisneyWorld #MagicKingdom #DisneyWorld50 - July 26, 2021
- Out and About: Limbhelados Serves Up Luscious Frozen Desserts in Downtown Kissimmee .. #Limbhelados #Limber #Kissimmee #EatLocal - July 23, 2021
- Walt Disney World To Bring Back More Entertainment to Parks Starting August 2021 .. @WaltDisneyWorld #WaltDisneyWorld #ThemeParks - July 22, 2021
- Universal Orlando to Start 2021 Holiday Celebrations on November 13 .. @UniversalOrlando #UniversalOrlando #OrlandoHolidays #VisitOrlando - July 20, 2021