Everybody knows the story of The Wizard of Oz as told from Dorothy’s point of view. But the hit musical Wicked tells the story from the witches Glinda and Elphaba (aka “The Wicked Witch of the West”) point of view.
This show has been a bucket-list item for years, and last night, I finally got to experience it at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. It was everything I thought it would be and more.
The story begins when Elphaba is born, then jumps to when she and Glinda meet for the first time at school. We get to see their friendship grow, then get tested as life events create hatred from the people towards Elphaba. Towards the end of the show, we see interactions with Dorothy but still from the witches’ point of view, and there is a surprise ending, as well.
Wicked is highly entertaining, with catchy songs, great acting, and imaginative sets. The touring cast, especially Jessica Vosk as Elphaba and Amanda Jane Cooper as Glinda, inject a lot of humor – especially physical humor – into the story, and they seem to be having a lot of fun with it.
But Wicked is also an important story about how preconceived notions, and hatred and fear of people who are different, can have devastating results. It’s also a good reminder not to judge people until you hear both sides of the story.
If you want to check out Wicked for yourself (and I suggest you do), it will be at the Dr. Phillips Center through January 29, 2017. Show run Tuesday through Sunday evenings, with matinees on Saturdays and Sundays.
Tickets start at $42.75. They may be purchased online at drphillipscenter.org, by calling 844.513.2014 or by visiting the Dr. Phillips Center Box Office.
There is also a Ticket Lottery for each show. A limited number of $25 orchestra seats will be available. 2 1/2 hours before each performance, names will be collected for 1/2 hour, then names will be drawn to purchase up to 2 tickets, cash only. Winners must be present (with valid ID) or they forfeit the right to purchase the lottery tickets.
[Disclaimer: CitySurfing Orlando was invited to a media night performance. My opinions are always honest, and completely my own.]
- SunRail to Offer Free Tickets to Kick Off Southern Expansion Stops - July 22, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup July 21, 2018: MidiCi, Taste! Central Florida, Royal Tea, Duck Donuts, and More - July 21, 2018
- Out and About: Sampling the Summer Menu at Marlow’s Tavern at Pointe Orlando #MarlowsSummer #MarlowsOrlando - July 20, 2018
- Christmas at Gaylord Palms 2018 ICE! Theme Will Be ‘A Christmas Story’ @GaylordPalms #CAGP - July 19, 2018
- Visit Orlando’s Magical Dining Month Returns Aug 24-Sept 30, 2018 - July 18, 2018
- Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy To Open at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Early 2019 - July 17, 2018
- Orlando Shakes Hosts 30th Anniversary Season Gala Sept 16, 2018 @OrlandoShakes - July 16, 2018
- Frightened Rabbit Tribute Show at Will’s Pub July 19 to Benefit TWLOHA - July 15, 2018
- Universal Orlando Announces Chucky and Killer Klowns Scare Zones for Halloween Horror Nights 28 #HHN28 - July 13, 2018
- Ellipsis Brewing Marks Six-Month Anniversary with 5 Special Release Brews - July 12, 2018