Everybody knows the story of The Wizard of Oz as told from Dorothy’s point of view. But the hit musical Wicked tells the story from the witches Glinda and Elphaba (aka “The Wicked Witch of the West”) point of view.
This show has been a bucket-list item for years, and last night, I finally got to experience it at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. It was everything I thought it would be and more.
The story begins when Elphaba is born, then jumps to when she and Glinda meet for the first time at school. We get to see their friendship grow, then get tested as life events create hatred from the people towards Elphaba. Towards the end of the show, we see interactions with Dorothy but still from the witches’ point of view, and there is a surprise ending, as well.
Wicked is highly entertaining, with catchy songs, great acting, and imaginative sets. The touring cast, especially Jessica Vosk as Elphaba and Amanda Jane Cooper as Glinda, inject a lot of humor – especially physical humor – into the story, and they seem to be having a lot of fun with it.
But Wicked is also an important story about how preconceived notions, and hatred and fear of people who are different, can have devastating results. It’s also a good reminder not to judge people until you hear both sides of the story.
If you want to check out Wicked for yourself (and I suggest you do), it will be at the Dr. Phillips Center through January 29, 2017. Show run Tuesday through Sunday evenings, with matinees on Saturdays and Sundays.
Tickets start at $42.75. They may be purchased online at drphillipscenter.org, by calling 844.513.2014 or by visiting the Dr. Phillips Center Box Office.
There is also a Ticket Lottery for each show. A limited number of $25 orchestra seats will be available. 2 1/2 hours before each performance, names will be collected for 1/2 hour, then names will be drawn to purchase up to 2 tickets, cash only. Winners must be present (with valid ID) or they forfeit the right to purchase the lottery tickets.
[Disclaimer: CitySurfing Orlando was invited to a media night performance. My opinions are always honest, and completely my own.]
- Busch Gardens Tampa Announces Concert Line-Up For 2018 Food & Wine Fest Starting March 3 - February 21, 2018
- Sonny’s BBQ Smokin’ Showdown Comes to Orlando March 3 + Win Tickets! #sonnysbbq - February 19, 2018
- Out and About: Selena Comes to Madame Tussauds Orlando - February 18, 2018
- Walt Disney World Announces Toy Story Land to Open June 30, 2018 - February 17, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup February 16, 2018: The Glass Knife, MidiCi, Pammie’s Sammies, and More - February 16, 2018
- Universal Orlando Adds Jason Derulo and Jessie J to 2018 Mardi Gras Headliners - February 15, 2018
- MidiCi Kissimmee Hosts #IHeartMidiCi Charity Pizza Drive During Feb 2018 - February 14, 2018
- 140th Silver Spurs Rodeo Returns To Kissimmee Feb 16-18 #silverspursrodeo - February 12, 2018
- Breaking: Walt Disney World Raises Ticket, Pass, and Parking Prices Effective Feb 11, 2018 - February 11, 2018
- Monster Energy Supercross comes to Tampa Feb. 24 + Discount Ticket Code - February 11, 2018