Ms. Wheelchair USA is a national competition that focuses on the empowerment of women with disabilities by allowing them to demonstrate their personal glamour, achievements, and dedication to community service.
This summer, Sanford resident Sylvia Longmire was crowned Ms. Wheelchair USA 2016. She was chosen from among fourteen state and regional finalists who competed for the title on the basis of personal interviews, a platform statement, and formal wear presentation.
Ms. Longmire has lived with multiple sclerosis (MS) for over 11 years, and is the founder of the PreJax Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit that provides scholarships for students with lives affected by MS.
“I started a scholarship program because I was inspired by the sacrifices my own kids have had to make, and I want to see others like them have their burdens lifted if only for a short while. Ms. Wheelchair USA can help me accomplish this.”
She is also a service-disabled veteran, consultant, author, and subject matter expert on Mexico’s drug war and border security issues.
About her win, Ms. Longmire says she is thrilled to represent Latina women, veterans, and entrepreneurs, in addition to Central Florida and the South.
More information about the pageant can be found at mswheelchairusa.org.
- Science of Wine Returns to Orlando Science Center on April 28, 2018 @orlandoscience - April 25, 2018
- Theatre UCF Announces New Pegasus Lab Summer 2018 Productions - April 25, 2018
- Beth McKee and Her Swamp Sistas Launch The La La Summer Hope Virtual Food Drive for 2018 #lalasummer - April 24, 2018
- Thomas D. Jones, PhD and Captain Scott D. Altman Inducted into U. S. Astronaut Hall of Fame® at Kennedy Space Center @ExploreSpaceKSC - April 23, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup April 22, 2018: Krispy Kreme, Susuru, Little Blue Donut Co, and More - April 22, 2018
- Walt Disney World To Live Stream Disney’s Animal Kingdom Anniversary Celebration April 22 - April 21, 2018
- Something New is Coming to Pandora – The World of Avatar at Disney’s Animal Kingdom April 22 - April 21, 2018
- Mamas of The NICU to Host Brunch for NICU Moms at Ace Cafe Orlando May 6, 2018 - April 20, 2018
- SeaWorld Orlando Extends Seven Seas Food Festival Through April 29 - April 20, 2018
- Sunset Music Festival Returns to Tampa May 26-27, 2018 For 7th Year With Huge EDM Line-Up #SMF2018 - April 19, 2018