Orlando Shakespeare Theater in partnership with UCF invites audiences to take a risk on new plays at PlayFest presented by Harriett’s Charitable Trust from November 3 – 6, 2016.
This year’s event, titled PlayFest: After Pulse, will feature six new plays that explore issues surrounding the Pulse tragedy.
“The plays we’ve chosen for PlayFest this year focus on issues that have directly affected our community,” said Cynthia White, Director of New Play Development at Orlando Shakespeare Theater. “In the wake of Pulse, it is more important than ever for us to come together to learn and heal.”
The Day Before Yesterday
By Israel Horovitz
Thursday, November 3 at 7:30 p.m.
Based around the terrorist attack on the Bataclan concert hall in Paris, The Day Before Yesterday chronicles the lives of three couples over the course of 72 hours, from before the attack when they were strangers living in Paris, Miami, and Brooklyn, to the next morning when they collectively take refuge at a nearby apartment.
By Karen Zacarías
Friday, November 4 at 7:30 p.m.
A young Latino couple moves into a Washington, DC neighborhood next door to a middle-aged Caucasian couple and both battle for control of the property line in their backyard, all the while attempting to balance the expectations and requirements of their own “American dream.”
By Allison Gregory
Saturday, November 5 at 4:30 p.m.
Standing at the intersection of what’s strictly legal and what can turn a profit, Mother seeks to carve out a life for herself and her children. When the law, love, and opportunity show up all at once, her courage is put to the test.
Saturday, November 5 at 8:00 p.m.
A selection of three-minute plays from the After Orlando project, featuring playwrights from NYC, Orlando, and around the country.
By Lee Blessing
Sunday, November 6 at 1:00 p.m.
A celebrated crime novelist leads two different lives, one as Randall, the middle-aged husband and father, and the other as Mandy, the newly-wedded wife and stepmother. In a play that is both poignant and bitingly funny, Mandy/Randall struggles with the complexities and repercussions of an identity too vast to fit within binaries.
By John Biguenet
Sunday, November 6 at 3:15 p.m.
Various characters represented by four actors share the process and feelings that individuals and families go through as they attempt to make sense of everything following a tragedy.
The Laramie Project
By Moisés Kaufman and the Members of the Tectonic Theater Project
Saturday, November 12 at 7:00 p.m.
Keynote will follow reading
Compiling the results of hundreds of interviews, The Laramie Project explores the causes and aftermath of the tragic and brutal murder of Matthew Shepard. By exploring the actual words of the people of Laramie, we are able to see how close both heartbreak and hope are to our own lives.
Tickets to individual PlayFest readings are $10 each. PlayFest Passes ($49) and PlayFest VIP Passes ($100) are also available.
Tickets and passes may be purchased online at orlandoshakes.org, by phone at (407) 447-1700 ext. 1, or in person at the John and Rita Lowndes Shakespeare Center (812 East Rollins Street).
- LEGOLAND Florida Unveils New Florida Prepaid Schoolhouse With College Scholarship Giveaway .. @LEGOLANDFlorida - November 19, 2019
- 4th Annual Florida Tiny House Festival Comes to Orlando November 22-24 .. @UnitedTinyHouse - November 18, 2019
- Out and About: Mia’s Italian Kitchen on I-Drive Adds Bottomless Dining Option to Menu .. @MiasItalian_Orl - November 17, 2019
- Aquatica Orlando Announces Florida’s First Dueling Water Slide to Debut in 2020 .. @AquaticaOrlando #RiptideRace - November 15, 2019
- Festival of Trees Turns Orlando Museum of Art Into Winter Wonderland Nov 16-24, 2019 .. @OMAOrlando #FestivalofTrees - November 14, 2019
- Annie Russell Theatre at Rollins College Presents ‘Private Lies: Improvised Film Noir’ Nov 15-23 .. @rollinscollege #OrlandoArts - November 12, 2019
- Orlando SeaWolves Host 2nd Annual Free Soccer Fan Fest at Osceola Heritage Park Nov 17 .. @MCOSeaWolves - November 11, 2019
- Jonas Brothers Bring Happiness Begins Tour to Orlando’s Amway Center November 16 .. @AmwayCenter @JonasBrothers - November 10, 2019
- 8th Annual Barktoberfest Returns to Lake Eola Park Nov 17 .. @ocas_Orlando #Barktoberfest - November 10, 2019
- Lockheed Martin Space and Air Show Tickets On Sale Nov 10 for 2020 Show .. @SpaceandAirShow - November 9, 2019