Florida’s own James Beard Award-winning Chef Norman Van Aken is launching his long anticipated 1921 by Norman Van Aken restaurant in Mount Dora this month, with reservations available beginning today, Tuesday, August 16, 2016.
Situated in a converted home built in 1921 (hence the name), the restaurant serves up Chef Van Aken’s take on modern Florida cuisine.
“With close access to some of the best local produce, meat, and seafood Florida has to offer, Mount Dora is a fitting location for us in terms of sourcing ingredients for our menu and connecting the restaurant with the local community that shapes our philosophy,” said Chef Van Aken. “I will be working directly with Chef de Cuisine, Camilo Velasco, to celebrate modern cooking while also incorporating time honored traditions of Florida.”
Menu offerings at 1921 will change regularly, providing guests the opportunity to experience a wide selection of fresh Florida flavors. Menu items range from snacks and starters such as the Grilled Okeechobee Mushroom Tostadas ($9), to flatbreads and salads like the Smoky Maduro Plantain Flatbread ($14) and Florida Avocado and Summer Squash Salad ($11).
Main plates include the Wood Grilled Eye of Ribeye with red chimichurri marinated sweetbreads, ember roasted carrots & tomatillo ($36), and the Sour Orange Mojo Roasted Cornish Hen ($24), cooked in 1921’s wood oven.
The restaurant will work closely with local farms and purveyors within Mount Dora and the surrounding area, maintaining an allegiance to the local growers, producers, and food artisans of Florida.
The restaurant will also feature a variety of unique spirits, as well as cocktails, including barrel-aged, carbonated on tap, and seasonal creations. Draft beers from multiple Central Florida craft breweries will be highlighted, as well as a variety of bottled and canned beers from around the world.
1921’s Wine Director, Scott Geisler, will work closely with Chef Velasco to complement the menu’s offerings, selecting from the restaurant’s list of global wines.
Located in the elegant Mount Dora Modernism Museum complex, the restaurant features an extensive collection of artwork, with select pieces on loan from the museum.
The launch of 1921 kicks off a series of new projects in 2016 for Chef Van Aken including the opening of his cooking school – In the Kitchen with Norman Van Aken – in Miami (fall 2016), and the release of his sixth cookbook, Norman Van Aken’s Florida Kitchen, with his wife Janet (late 2016).
1921 by Norman Van Aken is located at 142 East 4th Avenue, Mount Dora, FL 32751. For reservations, please call 352.385.1921, or for more information visit 1921nva.com.
- SeaWorld Orlando Salutes First Responders with Half Off Admission Through July 31 #SeaWorldOrlando - July 16, 2019
- Apollo 11 Moon landing 50th Anniversary Events This Week in Central Florida #Apollo11 - July 15, 2019
- Dates Unveiled for the 2019 Epcot International Festival of the Holidays #WaltDisneyWorld - July 14, 2019
- Win a Family 4-Pack of Tickets to Disney’s Newsies at Osceola Arts! @Osceola_Arts #Giveaway - July 10, 2019
- LEGOLAND Florida Hosts THE LEGO MOVIE DAYS Weekends in July and August 2019 #BuiltForKids - July 9, 2019
- Osceola Arts Presents Disney’s ‘Newsies’ Starting July 12 @Osceola_Arts - July 8, 2019
- July 4th Fireworks To Live Stream From Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Tonight - July 4, 2019
- Fourth of July Street Closures and Parking Info in Downtown Orlando - July 3, 2019
- Central Florida Foodies Events for July 2019 #OrlandoFoodies ::UPDATED:: - July 2, 2019
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating The 4th Of July 2019 In Central Florida #4thofJuly - June 30, 2019