When it opens to the public today at SeaWorld Orlando, Mako, a 200-foot-tall coaster reaching speeds up to 73mph, will become the tallest, fastest and longest roller coaster among Orlando’s theme parks.
Mako is one of the world’s few true hypercoasters, a group of roller coasters known for high speeds and steep drops and hills that create a feeling of weightlessness or “air time.” As the sleek coaster cars crest each hill, riders — secured only at their laps — float out of their seats, nearly weightless.
Heightening the sensory experience, a 48,000-watt, intelligent surround-sound system plays an original soundtrack which can be heard by riders as they come out of the station and climb all the way up the lift hill.
The coaster anchors a two-acre realm, called Shark Wreck Reef, that includes SeaWorld’s existing Shark Encounter attraction, and dining and shopping options. There are also plenty of opportunities to learn more about sharks.
Through several interactive stations, guests discover how different species are classified, what sharks like to eat, dispel myths about sharks, and how human behaviors are threatening some sharks to the point of extinction.
“It’s really eye opening to learn how sharks are struggling in the wild,” said Mills. “We believe the more people exposed to this message means more people making informed decisions, and sharks’ odds of survival improve.”
Mako joins Kraken, Manta, Journey to Atlantis, and the tamer Shamu Express in offering coaster thrills to guests at SeaWorld Orlando. For more information, or to purchase tickets and passes, visit seaworldorlando.com.
[Photos courtesy SeaWorld Orlando]
- Annie Russell Theatre at Rollins College Presents ‘Private Lies: Improvised Film Noir’ Nov 15-23 .. @rollinscollege #OrlandoArts - November 12, 2019
- Orlando SeaWolves Host 2nd Annual Free Soccer Fan Fest at Osceola Heritage Park Nov 17 .. @MCOSeaWolves - November 11, 2019
- Jonas Brothers Bring Happiness Begins Tour to Orlando’s Amway Center November 16 .. @AmwayCenter @JonasBrothers - November 10, 2019
- 8th Annual Barktoberfest Returns to Lake Eola Park Nov 17 .. @ocas_Orlando #Barktoberfest - November 10, 2019
- Lockheed Martin Space and Air Show Tickets On Sale Nov 10 for 2020 Show .. @SpaceandAirShow - November 9, 2019
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Announces Special Veterans Day 2019 Offer .. @ExploreSpaceKSC #VeteransDay - November 8, 2019
- Country Thunder Returns to Kissimmee in 2020 with All-Star Line-Up .. @CountryThunder - November 7, 2019
- College Park JazzFest Returns with Great Sounds, Food, and More November 9, 2019 .. #CollegeParkJazzed - November 6, 2019
- Out and About: Dr. Phillips Center Fall Arts Classes – The Beginning .. @DrPhillipsCtr #OrlandoArts - November 5, 2019
- Time to Get Your DIY On At Maker Faire Orlando November 9-10, 2019 .. #OrlandoMakers - November 2, 2019