When it opens to the public today at SeaWorld Orlando, Mako, a 200-foot-tall coaster reaching speeds up to 73mph, will become the tallest, fastest and longest roller coaster among Orlando’s theme parks.
Mako is one of the world’s few true hypercoasters, a group of roller coasters known for high speeds and steep drops and hills that create a feeling of weightlessness or “air time.” As the sleek coaster cars crest each hill, riders — secured only at their laps — float out of their seats, nearly weightless.
Heightening the sensory experience, a 48,000-watt, intelligent surround-sound system plays an original soundtrack which can be heard by riders as they come out of the station and climb all the way up the lift hill.
The coaster anchors a two-acre realm, called Shark Wreck Reef, that includes SeaWorld’s existing Shark Encounter attraction, and dining and shopping options. There are also plenty of opportunities to learn more about sharks.
Through several interactive stations, guests discover how different species are classified, what sharks like to eat, dispel myths about sharks, and how human behaviors are threatening some sharks to the point of extinction.
“It’s really eye opening to learn how sharks are struggling in the wild,” said Mills. “We believe the more people exposed to this message means more people making informed decisions, and sharks’ odds of survival improve.”
Mako joins Kraken, Manta, Journey to Atlantis, and the tamer Shamu Express in offering coaster thrills to guests at SeaWorld Orlando. For more information, or to purchase tickets and passes, visit seaworldorlando.com.
[Photos courtesy SeaWorld Orlando]
- Orange County and Visit Orlando Launch ‘#407Day’ Campaign April 7 to Support Local Restaurants .. #OrlandoFoodies #OrlandoToGo #VisitOrlando - April 6, 2020
- Enzian Theater Offering Four New Indie Movies to Stream .. @EnzianTheater @atwdfilm #CorpusChristiFilm @ExtraOrdFilm @SWMYfilm - April 5, 2020
- Southern Fried Sunday to Host Second Free Online #StayHome Music Fest April 5 With Optional Food Supplied by Winter Park’s #NewStandard .. #SFS - April 5, 2020
- SeaWorld Parks Provide Free Online Animal and Nature Classroom Resources .. @SeaWorld #ClassroomResources - April 4, 2020
- Creative City Project Presents “Stimulate the Arts” Online Fundraiser .. @Creative_Proj #OrlandoArts - April 3, 2020
- Orlando’s East End Market Launches Mobile Delivery Service .. @EastEndMkt - April 2, 2020
- Feed the Need Florida to Distribute Meals to Families Impacted by COVID-19 .. #FeedtheNeedFL - March 31, 2020
- Monster Jam World Finals 2020 in Orlando Has Been Cancelled .. @MonsterJam #MonsterJam - March 30, 2020
- Enzian Theater Now Offers On Demand Streaming of Indie Movies .. @EnzianTheater @bacuraufilme @TheBandFilm @TheWhistlers #saintfrances - March 29, 2020
- Southern Fried Sunday to Host Free Online #StayHome Music Fest March 29 With Optional Food Supplied by Winter Park’s #NewStandard .. #SFS - March 28, 2020