When it opens to the public today at SeaWorld Orlando, Mako, a 200-foot-tall coaster reaching speeds up to 73mph, will become the tallest, fastest and longest roller coaster among Orlando’s theme parks.
Mako is one of the world’s few true hypercoasters, a group of roller coasters known for high speeds and steep drops and hills that create a feeling of weightlessness or “air time.” As the sleek coaster cars crest each hill, riders — secured only at their laps — float out of their seats, nearly weightless.
Heightening the sensory experience, a 48,000-watt, intelligent surround-sound system plays an original soundtrack which can be heard by riders as they come out of the station and climb all the way up the lift hill.
The coaster anchors a two-acre realm, called Shark Wreck Reef, that includes SeaWorld’s existing Shark Encounter attraction, and dining and shopping options. There are also plenty of opportunities to learn more about sharks.
Through several interactive stations, guests discover how different species are classified, what sharks like to eat, dispel myths about sharks, and how human behaviors are threatening some sharks to the point of extinction.
“It’s really eye opening to learn how sharks are struggling in the wild,” said Mills. “We believe the more people exposed to this message means more people making informed decisions, and sharks’ odds of survival improve.”
Mako joins Kraken, Manta, Journey to Atlantis, and the tamer Shamu Express in offering coaster thrills to guests at SeaWorld Orlando. For more information, or to purchase tickets and passes, visit seaworldorlando.com.
[Photos courtesy SeaWorld Orlando]
- Brightline to Construct Walt Disney World Station at Disney Springs .. @GoBrightline #WaltDisneyWorld - November 24, 2020
- FusionFest Returns to Downtown Orlando Nov 28-29, 2020 .. #FusionFest #FusionFestOrlando - November 23, 2020
- Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Dockside Inn and Suites Opens at Universal Orlando December 2020 .. #EndlessSummerDockside @UniversalOrlando - November 22, 2020
- Dr. Phillips Center’s Frontyard Festival Kicks Off Dec 5: What You Need to Know .. #FrontyardFestival #OrlandoArts #SaveOurStages @DrPhillipsCtr - November 21, 2020
- Holidays at LEGOLAND® Return to LEGOLAND Florida Starting Nov. 27, 2020 .. @LEGOLANDFlorida #Holidays - November 20, 2020
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating #Thanksgiving 2020 In Orlando - November 18, 2020
- Walt Disney World Reopens Petting Zoo at Affection Section in Disney’s Animal Kingdom .. #WaltDisneyWorld #DisneysAnimalKingdom - November 16, 2020
- Walt Disney World First Look at Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Ride Vehicles .. @WaltDisneyWorld #Epcot #GOTG - November 15, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For November 13, 2020: Hawkers, Firehouse Subs, Pig Floyd’s, Tapa Toro, Gideons Bakehouse, White Castle, First Watch, And More .. #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoFoodies - November 13, 2020
- SeaWorld Orlando’s Christmas Celebration 2020 Kicks Off Nov. 14 .. #SeaWorldOrlando #ChristmasCelebration - November 10, 2020