The thing I like most about genre fan conventions is seeing all the cosplay, and there was plenty to admire at MegaCon 2016 in Orlando this Memorial Weekend.
What is Cosplay?
For those who aren’t familiar with it, Cosplay is a contraction of the words costume and roleplay. It refers to the use of costumes and accessories to transform into a character from a favorite fandom.
Most cosplay inspiration is derived from anime, comic books and cartoons, video games, and sci-fi/fantasy/horror movies, TV, and books. And at MegaCon 2016, there was a lot of inspired cosplay.
Cosplay for All
I’m a firm believer cosplay is for all, and I was pleasantly surpised to see cosplayers of all ages, sizes, genders, and more. I even came across some cosplayers in wheelchairs who were totally rocking their outfits.
On Saturday, there was a parade of everyone cosplaying as Deadpool, and on Sunday, there was a Spiderman conga line.
I was also happy to see MegaCon had posted several “Cosplay is not Consent” signs throughout the venue. You can read it in the top image, and it helps to make cosplay safe and fun for all.
But enough of my rambling…you want to see the cosplay, right? Here are some of the best cosplay I spotted at MegaCon 2016:
A collection of DC Comic-inspired cosplay
A collection of Disney-inspired cosplay
A collection of Marvel Comics-inspired cosplay
A collection of Star Wars-inspired cosplay
A collection of horror-inspired cosplay
And finally all the other cosplay I was able to capture during the weekend
Visit instagram.com/zengrrl for more photos from MegaCon 2016. I will also be posting more about MegaCon 2016 in the coming week, including a recap of all the celebrity talks I attended.
[Disclaimer: I attended MegaCon 2016 as press. As always, my opinions are honest, and my own.]
- Disney’s ALADDIN Tour Members To Host ‘SONGS FROM A WHOLE NEW WORLD’ Benefit on Jan 27, 2020 .. @aladdin - January 18, 2020
- Christian Music Fest ‘Rock The Universe’ Returns to Universal Orlando Jan 24-25, 2020 .. #RocktheUniverse @UniversalOrlando - January 17, 2020
- Central Florida Fair to Add New Livestock and Event Pavilion .. @CentralFLFair - January 17, 2020
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces the Orlando Returns of ‘Hamilton’ and ‘Wicked’ .. #OrlandoBroadwaySeries @DrPhillipsCtr @HamiltonMusical @WICKED_Musical #FAIRWINDSBway - January 16, 2020
- Frontier Airlines Announces Plans for OIA Maintenance Hangar and Opens Training Facility in Orlando .. @FlyFrontier @MCO - January 16, 2020
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day 2020 Events in Central Florida .. #MLK2020 #MLKDay - January 15, 2020
- Blake Shelton’s Ole Red Orlando Restaurant to Open at ICON Park in April 2020 .. @OleRedOrlando @BlakeShelton - January 15, 2020
- Three New Film Experiences Coming to Epcot January 17, 2020 .. #Epcot @WaltDisneyWorld - January 14, 2020
- Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra Announces New Executive Director .. @OrlandoPhilOrch - January 14, 2020
- Jesse Cook Returns to Orlando with Show at Plaza Live on Jan 19, 2020 .. @JesseCookHQ @LivePlaza - January 13, 2020