Monster Jam hit Tampa this weekend and we were invited to check it out. This time, however, my husband was able to come along for the first time. He has never been to an event. And our daughter always says that she doesn’t want to go, but she does and she always has a good time.
We were a bit concerned about rain, but thankfully it waited until after the show to rain. This was the first time I have had to deal with the disabled access processes at Raymond James. Everyone was helpful and accommodating when there is no way around the building inside the gates for a person in a wheelchair.
We also got to enjoy the Party in the Pits, which is a pre-show event where you get to meet some of the drivers, and see the trucks closer up. It’s a fun time, but gets very crowded as the day goes on.
The actual show itself is always very loud. If you are seated in the lower levels, make sure you take ear protection for the kids…and for yourself. I appreciate how this event always begins with the National Anthem. Then there are small fireworks to start and the Monster trucks are introduced. This makes us say “Wow!” every time we see it. It’s nearly impossible to get any pictures of this as it’s fast, loud, and smoky. It’s not long before everyone is parked and the competitions begin. Lots of dust, and dirt are thrown into the air as the trucks race around the course. Some don’t make it all the way through before they crash. The crowd hopes that it will be spectacular when it happens. Because it will happen!
It was really fun to see the driver’s point of view from the trucks that have a camera in the cockpit with the driver. Not every truck has it, but for the ones that do, it’s interesting to see. My daughter was also very happy to see that there are female drivers and crews. It’s important to her to see women do anything and everything they want to. In the Tampa show, the El Toro Loco truck currently has Becky McDonough as their driver this year. Good Job Becky and your entire team!
Grave Digger was there and is always a favorite. Soldier Fortune, Monster Energy, Junkyard Dog, Hooked, and so many more. Our son has his favorites as well. He always has fun seeing this event. In fact, it is fun for our entire family. My husband had a good time, even while concentrating on getting the pictures used in this write up.
In this year’s show, they also have “Mega Trucks”. They are smaller than monster trucks, but definitely bigger than a normal pick-up truck. And way louder!! It did help break up the monster madness.
The show comes to the Orlando Citrus Bowl this week on Saturday, January 23, 2016. This is a family fun event. There are likely to be seats still available, so visit orlandocitrusbowl.com to grab yours.
[Photos by Kirk Garreans]
- Out and About: The Big Bounce America Tour is Fun for All Ages .. @TheBigBounceUSA - October 24, 2019
- Out and About: The Holy Land Experience Debuts New Show ‘David: King of Jerusalem’ .. #HolyLandExp #WhereTheTrueHeroesLive - September 30, 2019
- Out and About: ‘Tuck Everlasting: The Musical’ at The Orlando REP .. @OrlandoREP - September 28, 2019
- Out and About: Disney On Ice Brings Road Trip Adventures to Orlando - September 8, 2019
- Out and About: Nona Adventure Park Opens in Orlando @Nona_Adventure - March 30, 2019
- Out and About: Monster Jam in 2019 is Better Than Ever! - January 15, 2019
- Out and About: Maker Faire Orlando 2018 Was a Fun Family Weekend - November 15, 2018
- Out and About: LEGOLAND Florida’s Brick or Treat Offers Family-Friendly Spooky Fun - October 13, 2018
- Out and About: Catching the Premiere of Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Search Party - September 10, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam Triple Threat at the Amway Center was Fun for the Whole Family - August 20, 2018