One of the biggest events I cover in Orlando every year is the IAAPA convention at the Orange County Convention Center, and this year was no exception.
The first two days are heavy with press events, touting the latest rides and attractions. Then the last two days are just walking the floor finding things of interest, and trying all the great food offerings – think carnival food and quick eats.
Of note to you Central Florida readers was the Tuesday reveal of the mock up of Cobra’s Curse, the new coaster opening at Busch Gardens Tampa in 2016. The highlights of the presentation were that after the first climb, riders will come face to face with a giant cobra head, and the fact that the rider vehicles spin as they traverse the winding track. Here are some photos of the mock-up:
LEGOLAND also announced a cool new Ninjago The Ride attraction, but it won’t be coming to Florida anytime soon. It will open in California in spring 2016, to be followed by Legoland Billund in Denmark and Legoland Malaysia next November.
Manufactured by Canadian-based company Triotech, Ninjago will feature Maestro hand gesture technology, which enables guests to control the game with hand gestures without using a hand-held device.
Florida will be getting “The Lego Movie 4D A New Adventure” next year, however. That film attraction is scheduled to open Jan. 29.
Also coming to LEGOLAND Florida is a a more interactive photo experience, courtesy of PicSolve. Not only will you be able to pre-purchase photo packages prior to arrival, but it features an app that will allow you to share photos to your social media with one-click.
Sally Corp had a booth showcasing a new interactive dark ride based on The Walking Dead. The attraction, The Walking Dead: Battle For Survival, wasn’t picked up by anyone as of Wednesday, when I last checked, but it had a lot of interest from different park buyers at IAAPA. Unfortunately, it definitely won’t be going into an Orlando park, since Universal has a contract licensing The Walking Dead for Halloween Horror Nights.
One of the most popular rides set up to demo was the RoboCoaster by KUKA Robotics. It flipped its two-seat open capsule all over, as the arm spun around, and riders were lined up to give it a try. I opted to keep my lunch inside my body.
I also ran in to the Give Kids the World mascots Rugby and Reme, along with Mayor Clayton. They were taking donations for the charity from IAAPA attendees.
The food was what you would expect coming from a theme park & amusement convention. My favorites were the Beaver Tails, and Funnel Cake on a Stick with flavored syrups.
IAAPA is a great chance to see what’s hot and what’s about to be hot, and I can’t wait to see what 2016 brings us…and you know I’ll be right there reporting on it.
Disclaimer: I attended IAAPA 2015 as a media guest. As always my opinions are honest, and my own.
- The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art Offering Free Admission Sept 17-22, 2019 .. @MorseMuseum - September 16, 2019
- SeaWorld Orlando Announces Details of New Coaster for 2020 .. @SeaWorld #SeaWorldOrlando #IceBreaker - September 15, 2019
- Central Florida Auto Show Returns to Orlando Sept 20-22 + Win Tickets! .. @OrlandoAutoShow - September 14, 2019
- SeaWorld Orlando and Firehouse Subs Partner Together to Honor Florida First Responders with Free Admission .. #SeaWorldOrlando - September 10, 2019
- Central Florida Foodies Events For September 2019 .. #OrlandoFoodies - September 9, 2019
- Walt Disney World to Close Early on Sept 3 Due to Hurricane Dorian ::UPDATED:: .. @WaltDisneyWorld @VisitOrlando #HurricaneDorian - September 2, 2019
- Walt Disney World To Live Stream Dedication Ceremony of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Aug 28 .. #StarWars #StarWarsGalaxysEdge - August 27, 2019
- All-New Lagoon Show to Debut at Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights 2019 .. #HHN29 @UniversalOrl @HorrorNightsORL - August 22, 2019
- Orlando’s Downtown Arts District Hosts Art After Dark Aug 24 .. @OrlandoSlice - August 21, 2019
- The Wheel at ICON Park Orlando to Light Up in UF & UM Team Colors Aug 23-24 .. @ICONParkOrlando @UF @UnivMiami - August 21, 2019