After a week-long battle, a wife and husband barbecue competition team from Kansas beat more than 1,100 competitive chefs, home cooks and food sport enthusiasts for the World Food Championships title in Central Florida on November 10.
Cheryl and Loren Hill, three-time qualifiers for the World Food Championships, not only won the $100,000 grand prize, but also took home an additional $10,000 for winning the Barbeque qualifying category, as did the eight other finalists who won their qualifying category:
- World Barbecue Champion and overall World Food Champion – Loren Hill, Overland Park, Kansas
- World Bacon Champion – Stephen Coe, Plymouth, Massachusetts
- World Burger Champion – Rusty Johnson, Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada
- World Dessert Champion – Lynn Smith, Acworth, Georgia
- World Recipe Champion – Alethia Shih, San Jose, California
- World Pasta Champion – Suzanne Clark, Phoenix, Arizona
- World Seafood Champion – Cindy Taffel, Pompano Beach, Florida
- World Sandwich Champion – Lori Rukstales, Roberts, Wisconsin
- World Chili Champion – Wayne Shymko, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Judges for the Final Table included: Chef Justin Timineri (C.E.C.), Florida’s executive chef and Culinary Ambassador; Chef Kevin Fonzo of K Restaurant and Wine Bar in Orlando, Emily Ellyn of Food Network fame; Diva Q, Danielle Bennett, the most decorated female in the competitive BBQ world; and Kari Karch, World Food Championships’ co-host and Kenmore brand spokesperson
The World Food Championships competition drew thousands of foodies and Food Sport enthusiasts to Central Florida, elevating hotel bookings, restaurant spending and other community revenue metrics that come with such signature events.
They also hosted the first ever Food, Fight, Write competition among food bloggers, which was recapped by our guest author Anna-Marie Walsh.
No word if the World Food Championships will return to Central Florida next year, but we hope they will. For more information on the event, visit worldfoodchampionships.com.
[Image courtesy World Food Championships]
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup April 26, 2018: Fresh Kitchen, Teak Neighborhood Grill, K Restaurant, and More - April 26, 2018
- Will’s Pub Hosts Poca’s Hottest 7th Annual Sauce Cook-Off & Food Drive April 29, 2018 - April 26, 2018
- Science of Wine Returns to Orlando Science Center on April 28, 2018 @orlandoscience - April 25, 2018
- Theatre UCF Announces New Pegasus Lab Summer 2018 Productions - April 25, 2018
- Beth McKee and Her Swamp Sistas Launch The La La Summer Hope Virtual Food Drive for 2018 #lalasummer - April 24, 2018
- Thomas D. Jones, PhD and Captain Scott D. Altman Inducted into U. S. Astronaut Hall of Fame® at Kennedy Space Center @ExploreSpaceKSC - April 23, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup April 22, 2018: Krispy Kreme, Susuru, Little Blue Donut Co, and More - April 22, 2018
- Walt Disney World To Live Stream Disney’s Animal Kingdom Anniversary Celebration April 22 - April 21, 2018
- Something New is Coming to Pandora – The World of Avatar at Disney’s Animal Kingdom April 22 - April 21, 2018
- Mamas of The NICU to Host Brunch for NICU Moms at Ace Cafe Orlando May 6, 2018 - April 20, 2018