Orlando Shakespeare Theater in Partnership with UCF presents the World Premiere of Magic Tree House: A Ghost Tale for Mr. Dickens October 22 through November 20.
Based on the book A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time by New York Times bestselling author Mary Pope Osborne, the Children’s Series production is co-written by Jenny Laird and Will Osborne with lyrics by Will Osborne and music and lyrics by Randy Courts.
In this musical adaptation of book #44, Magic Tree House characters Jack and Annie are sent to Victorian England where Charles Dickens is suffering from a severe case of writer’s block. Posing as chimney sweeps, the time traveling siblings team up with light hearted, helpful versions of Christmas Past, Present, and Future to inspire Mr. Dickens to write A Christmas Carol.
Magic Tree House: A Ghost Tale for Mr. Dickens features Austin Ryan Hunt and Kimmi Johnson as Jack and Annie. Other casting includes James Putnam (Charles Dickens), Sarah Summerwell (Morgan), Topher Embrey (Merlin), Kathryn Miller (Black Ghost), Jacob Valleroy (Green Ghost), Corynne Wagener (White Ghost), and child actors Aidan Corrie and Jackson Holloway in the shared role of Tiny Tim/Young Dickens.
“We’ve teamed up with the Magic Tree House team to adapt the junior script into one that can be played by a small cast of professional actors,” said Director of Education Anne Hering. “Our audiences will be the first to see this version!”
Preview dates are October 22 and 23 at 10:15am and noon. Opening day is Saturday, October 24, and in addition to the show, ticket holders are invited to arrive one hour early to take part in free crafts and activities provided by SE Macaroni Kid.
There will also be two special shows on October 31 that include a free Halloween party prior to showtime. Ticket holders can participate in Halloween-themed arts and crafts, as well as a costume contest and candy giveaway.
Performances during the run of the show are Monday/Tuesday//Thursday/Friday at 10:15am and noon, Wednesday at noon, and Saturday at 2pm and 4:30pm.
Ticket prices are $9 for all shows Monday through Friday, and $15 adults/$12 children for Saturday shows. The production will be held in the Margeson Theater at John and Rita Lowndes Shakespeare Center (812 E. Rollins St.). To purchase, or for more information, call 407-447-1700, ext 1, or visit orlandoshakes.org.
[Images courtesy of Orlando Shakespeare Theater]
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For September 28, 2020: Pie-Fection, Git-N-Messy BBQ, Papa Llama, Chicken Fire, And More .. #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoFoodies - September 28, 2020
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Hosts ‘Launch and a Movie’ Sept 29 .. #KSCVC #SpaceX @ExploreSpaceKSC - September 27, 2020
- Virginia Drive Live! Returns to Orlando September 26 .. #VirginaDriveLive #OrlandoEvents - September 23, 2020
- Orlando Weekly’s Taco Week Offers $5 Taco Deals Sept 23-Oct 7 .. #TacoWeek #Foodies @OrlandoWeekly - September 22, 2020
- 18th Annual Global Peace Film Festival Goes Virtual Sept 21-Oct 4 .. #GPFF2020 #PeaceFilmFest #OrlandoArts - September 21, 2020
- Melrose Film Festival 2020 is Free Online Sept 18 – 27 .. #MelroseCenter #OrlandoArts - September 18, 2020
- SeaWorld Orlando’s Halloween Spooktacular 2020 Kicks Off Sept 19 .. #SeaWorldOrlando #Spooktacular - September 17, 2020
- Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin’s Sip, Savor, & Stay Saturdays Kicks Off September 19 .. #SwanDolphin #Foodies - September 16, 2020
- Universal Orlando to Test Two Halloween Horror Nights Houses This Weekend .. @UniversalOrlando #HHN - September 15, 2020
- TENET is Playing Orlando Theaters + Win a Pair of Fandango Tickets .. #TENET #Giveaway - September 14, 2020