While we were running errands in Hunter’s Creek, we decided to try Jimmy Hula’s Restaurant for a late lunch. The brand has several Central Florida locations, and the atmosphere is very casual. They have tables with reclaimed car bench seats as well as chairs, and the overall vibe is that of a surf shack on the beach. This is kind of cool, in a kitschy way.
The menu has several burger options and sides, as well as a variety of tacos, sandwiches and appetizers. When you walk in the front door, you order at the counter, and they give you a number in order to bring the food to you.
Many places do this now and it’s all fine if the order comes out at the same time. Our order did not. My fish taco came out first, well before the burger and fries in our order. This puts patrons in an awkward spot of eating and being rude, or waiting. I chose to wait. I think the policy of bringing the food out as it’s done is a copout for the kitchen and shows disrespect for the customer. And I do plan on saying this to the corporate people, as the manager just said that it’s their policy.
My Malibu fish taco was okay. There was one taco in a basket with chips. Not a lot to it, so be prepared to order two, if you are hungry. I ordered the fish crispy. It was not, but at least the lettuce was. It also was not hot or even warm by the time I ate it. It was served in a grilled flour tortilla, with a side of chips that were fresh and not over cooked. That was a nice change from other taco joints. Over all, it did have good flavor, it just wasn’t as crispy or hot as it should have been.
Michelle’s Diablo burger was huge! The sauce that makes this burger from the devil is what contains the heat. It tasted like it had horseradish in addition to the hot sauce. It was very hot! The burgers do not come with a side, so we had to order that separately. She ordered the Cajun Fries, and they came with season salt on them, and a slightly spicy/creamy sauce for dipping. Today, the cook was a bit heavy handed with the salt, but at least they were hot and fresh.
They do have several beers on top as well as a large selection of beers offered in bottles. I did not see a full bar or margarita machine, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have one. I just didn’t see it today. So probably not.
They staff was friendly and helpful. They were genuinely interested in serving us. All in all, it was a good experience, but not a great one. They are a very laid back place. Their menu is diverse enough that everyone in a family could find something they like. There are other things on the menu I would like to try, so I can see us going back, though it will have to wait for the next time I’m nearby. I didn’t like them enough to make a special trip just to eat there.
You can find more information on Jimmy Hula’s online at jimmyhulas.com, including a location that may be more convenient for you.
- Out and About: The Big Bounce America Tour is Fun for All Ages .. @TheBigBounceUSA - October 24, 2019
- Out and About: The Holy Land Experience Debuts New Show ‘David: King of Jerusalem’ .. #HolyLandExp #WhereTheTrueHeroesLive - September 30, 2019
- Out and About: ‘Tuck Everlasting: The Musical’ at The Orlando REP .. @OrlandoREP - September 28, 2019
- Out and About: Disney On Ice Brings Road Trip Adventures to Orlando - September 8, 2019
- Out and About: Nona Adventure Park Opens in Orlando @Nona_Adventure - March 30, 2019
- Out and About: Monster Jam in 2019 is Better Than Ever! - January 15, 2019
- Out and About: Maker Faire Orlando 2018 Was a Fun Family Weekend - November 15, 2018
- Out and About: LEGOLAND Florida’s Brick or Treat Offers Family-Friendly Spooky Fun - October 13, 2018
- Out and About: Catching the Premiere of Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Search Party - September 10, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam Triple Threat at the Amway Center was Fun for the Whole Family - August 20, 2018