Yesterday (August 15) at the D23 EXPO 2015, The Walt Disney Company Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced that a Star Wars-themed land will be coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
The expansion will cover 14 acres, and will add two signature attractions. One of those will put guests behind the controls of the Millenium Falcon itself. Oh yeah, I can’t wait for that one.
“I am thrilled to announce the next chapter in the long and exciting history between Disney Parks and Star Wars,” said Iger. “We are creating a jaw-dropping new world that represents our largest single themed land expansion ever. These new lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will transport guests to a whole new Star Wars planet, including an epic Star Wars adventure that puts you in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.”
Disneyland will also be undergoing a similar expansion for their own Star Wars Land.
No start date has been given for the transformation, nor has a completion date been announced. Looking at the Google map of the park, it’s hard to figure out where they will get the needed space surrounding Star Tours unless they close the Muppets and Lights! Motors! Action! and/or they close the S. Studio Dr entrance into the park and expand past that to the southeast into the undeveloped land sitting there.
What do you think? Let us know in comments.
Other Star Wars news for Disney’s Hollywood Studios include:
Star Tours getting a video upgrade that will feature locations and characters from the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. This is roughly scheduled to happen by the end of 2015.
The Jedi Training Academy will be updated to include new characters and a new villain from the popular Disney XD series “Star Wars Rebels.”
Season of the Force is a new seasonal event that will begin early 2016 and will feature a weekend fireworks spectacular set to the iconic score of the Star Wars movies at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
So…who else is excited about the Star Wars expansion finally being officially announced??
[All photos courtesy Disney Parks. Photos of Bob Iger – Richard Harbaugh photographer]
- Win Easter Lunch at First-Ever Unlimited Izakaya Lunch at Dragonfly Robata Grill and Sushi @DflyOrlando - March 23, 2018
- House of Blues Orlando Presents AWOLNATION May 24, 2018 - March 22, 2018
- LEGOLAND Florida to Open Funnel Cake Factory Spring 2018 - March 21, 2018
- Orlando Science Center Hosts Top Secret Weekend March 24-25, 2018 #orlandosciencecenter - March 20, 2018
- Meet the Local Actresses appearing in Waitress at Dr. Phillips Center March 20-25, 2018 - March 19, 2018
- The Great LEGO Race Opens March 23 at LEGOLAND Florida - March 18, 2018
- Winn-Dixie Announces Plans to Close Some Central Florida Stores Following Bankruptcy Filing - March 17, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup March 16, 2018: Urbain 40, Hunger Street Tacos, Morthan Cheese, and More - March 16, 2018
- Walt Disney World to Start Charging Resort Guests Overnight Parking Fees - March 15, 2018
- Yelp Restaurant Week Runs March 18-24 in Orlando #yelporlando - March 14, 2018