I am a big fan of Tijuana Flats, but most of my visits center around their great Taco Tuesday promotion (2 huge tacos of your choice of ground beef or chicken, plus chips and a drink for $5.49). But recently I attended a Central Florida Lady Bloggers event where I got to try some of their other yummy menu items.
First a little history on the brand. It was formed in 1995 by a UCF student named Brian Wheeler, with the first location in Winter Park. So this is a local brand. In the course of the twenty years since that first store, Tijuana Flats has grown to 100 restaurants in six states. Each location is also decorated differently with local artist drawn murals and ceiling decor.
In the process, Tijuana Flats has also created its own line of hot sauces, the Smack My Ass & Call Me Sally brand, which includes some of the hottest sauces in the world. I love their Sweet sauce and the Habanero sauce mixed together.
Tijuana Flats operates on two principles. One, the food is always fresh and made to order. Nothing is frozen or microwaved, beans are lard-free, meats are hormone-free, and there is zero trans-fats used. Second, give back to the community. Tijuana Flats also operates the Just in Queso Foundation, which helps those in need within the communities the brand operates in.
“Yes, Yes,” you say, “but how was the food?”
We first started with chips with salsa, queso, and guacamole. All delish, as usual. Next was their flautas, which I’d never had. The dish consists of two tortillas (flour or wheat – we had flour), filled with cheese, choice of ground beef or chicken, then lightly fried, cut into thirds, and served with queso and guacamole. We received both versions, and I think I liked both beef and chicken equally. I really enjoyed these, and this would be a good dish to share, or make a meal of by itself.
Next was their Bangin’ Chicken Burrito, another new-to-me dish. Biting into it, I was surprised to find the chicken was actually breaded and fried chicken tenders cut into pieces, not the normal grilled chicken I have in my tacos. Different, but good. The chicken was complemented by Tijuana Flats’ Smack My Ass Bangin’ Chicken Sauce (a wing-type sauce), grilled onions and peppers, tomatoes, cheese and ranch dressing, all wrapped in a flour tortilla.
More chicken was to come, in the form of their blackened chicken taco. One I’d had before, but I still enjoyed it. The blackened aspect added a little extra flavor to the taco, which also included lettuce, tomato, cheese, and sour cream in a flour tortilla.
The evening was capped with more flautas – the Cookie Dough Flautas. This dessert version of the dish envelops chocolate chip cookie dough with a flour tortilla, then lightly fries it for a bit of a crunch, and tops with powdered sugar dusting. Oh, and it’s served with a side of chocolate sauce for dipping, for a little more decadence. Very sweet and gooey. Chocoholics will love this.
It was a delicious tour of new to me menu items, and I thank the management and staff at Tijuana Flats E. Colonial location for a great evening.
All of these menu items are located at your local Tijuana Flats location. To find yours, or for more information, visit tijuanaflats.com.
Disclaimer: I was hosted by Tijuana Flats for this Central Florida Lady Bloggers tasting. As always, all opinions are honest, and my own.
- LEGOLAND Florida Unveils New Florida Prepaid Schoolhouse With College Scholarship Giveaway .. @LEGOLANDFlorida - November 19, 2019
- 4th Annual Florida Tiny House Festival Comes to Orlando November 22-24 .. @UnitedTinyHouse - November 18, 2019
- Out and About: Mia’s Italian Kitchen on I-Drive Adds Bottomless Dining Option to Menu .. @MiasItalian_Orl - November 17, 2019
- Aquatica Orlando Announces Florida’s First Dueling Water Slide to Debut in 2020 .. @AquaticaOrlando #RiptideRace - November 15, 2019
- Festival of Trees Turns Orlando Museum of Art Into Winter Wonderland Nov 16-24, 2019 .. @OMAOrlando #FestivalofTrees - November 14, 2019
- Annie Russell Theatre at Rollins College Presents ‘Private Lies: Improvised Film Noir’ Nov 15-23 .. @rollinscollege #OrlandoArts - November 12, 2019
- Orlando SeaWolves Host 2nd Annual Free Soccer Fan Fest at Osceola Heritage Park Nov 17 .. @MCOSeaWolves - November 11, 2019
- Jonas Brothers Bring Happiness Begins Tour to Orlando’s Amway Center November 16 .. @AmwayCenter @JonasBrothers - November 10, 2019
- 8th Annual Barktoberfest Returns to Lake Eola Park Nov 17 .. @ocas_Orlando #Barktoberfest - November 10, 2019
- Lockheed Martin Space and Air Show Tickets On Sale Nov 10 for 2020 Show .. @SpaceandAirShow - November 9, 2019