Last Sunday the family and I attended a Father’s Day matinee performance of The Frog and the Princess by the Orlando Shakespeare Theater company. Not just a play, it required audience participation, which made it all the more fun.
You know the Brothers Grimm story: Prince likes Princess but is turned into a frog, frog must win Princesses heart and be kissed to become human again… blah, blah bah. But this production of the classic fable has a twist. Since I am not into giving away spoilers, you must go see this show to see what happens, but it updates the tale nicely.
The show is only about an hour long, so it’s easy to sit through, even for our seven-year-old. It’s in a smaller more intimate theatre, which adds to the fun.
The cast has so much fun with this show, and it shows. The fates of previous Princes are well explained. Prince Frederick, Prince Douglas, Prince Reginald…all met varied disastrous ends, which is a good thing, as I’m sure their families wanted them back.
It is a fun family time. I know our family had fun and enjoyed the play, especially with the interactive participation parts. My husband, Kirk, was chosen to be a Prince, which the kids and I enjoyed. With only 4 cast members, getting autographs after the performance was fun, too.
The Frog and the Princess is currently running through July 26 at the Lowdnes Shakespeare Center. Tickets are $9 for all for Tuesday and Thursday shows at 10:30am; and $15 adults/$12 children for shows Wednesday and Friday at 10:30am and 2pm, as well as Saturdays and Sundays at 2pm and 4:30pm. There will be an ASL-Interpreted performance on Sunday, July 12.
For tickets or more information, visit OrlandoShakes.org, call (407) 447-1700 ext. 1, or in person at the Lowndes Shakespeare Center (812 East Rollins Street).
Thanks to the Orlando Shakespeare Theater for inviting us to come review the show!
Disclaimer: I received tickets for review purposes. As always, my opinions are my own.
- Out and About: The Big Bounce America Tour is Fun for All Ages .. @TheBigBounceUSA - October 24, 2019
- Out and About: The Holy Land Experience Debuts New Show ‘David: King of Jerusalem’ .. #HolyLandExp #WhereTheTrueHeroesLive - September 30, 2019
- Out and About: ‘Tuck Everlasting: The Musical’ at The Orlando REP .. @OrlandoREP - September 28, 2019
- Out and About: Disney On Ice Brings Road Trip Adventures to Orlando - September 8, 2019
- Out and About: Nona Adventure Park Opens in Orlando @Nona_Adventure - March 30, 2019
- Out and About: Monster Jam in 2019 is Better Than Ever! - January 15, 2019
- Out and About: Maker Faire Orlando 2018 Was a Fun Family Weekend - November 15, 2018
- Out and About: LEGOLAND Florida’s Brick or Treat Offers Family-Friendly Spooky Fun - October 13, 2018
- Out and About: Catching the Premiere of Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Search Party - September 10, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam Triple Threat at the Amway Center was Fun for the Whole Family - August 20, 2018