This summer, Discovery Cove will celebrate 15 years of operation in Orlando, and it still continues to thrill guests.
When the park first opened on July 1, 2000, it was an anomaly in the world of Orlando theme parks: a reservation-only experience limited to approximately 1,000 guests per day.
At 15 acres, Discovery Cove opened with three signature experiences: guests could swim with dolphins, snorkel with rays and tropical fish, and hand feed exotic birds. Since then, it has expanded to more than 22 acres, and added signature experiences like The Grand Reef.
Here is a list of milestone moments for Discovery Cove:
- In 2013 and 2014, rated the “#1 Amusement Park in the World” in the TripAdvisor® Travelers’ Choice™ awards
- Opened The Grand Reef®, which contains more than 10,000 tropical fish and dozens of rays
- Added SeaVenture®, where guests can experience an underwater guided walking tour
- Opened Freshwater Oasis® with playful Asian otters and curious marmoset monkeys
- Witnessed hundreds of significant animal births and hatchings, from dolphins to birds to sharks
- Pioneered the first C-section on a shark
- Hosted thousands of marriage proposals, birthdays, military homecomings, bucket-list wishes, and more
- Participated in conservation initiatives such as Rising Tide, which helps protect reef ecosystems
“Throughout the parks 15-year history, the Discovery Cove team has provided millions of guests the opportunity to connect with and be inspired by amazing animals in an environment like no other in the world,” said Stewart Clark, Discovery Cove vice president.
Park fans are encouraged to share photos of their favorite memories using #15YearsofDiscovery on Facebook and Instagram. To be a part of the celebration and to book a reservation, visit DiscoveryCove.com.
- Visit Orlando and Frontier Airlines Offering Free Flight to People Named Orlando .. #LoveOrlando #VisitOrlando #Frontier @MCO #Travel - September 30, 2020
- Creative City Presents ‘Bright Young Things’ Starting October 2 .. #CreativeCity #OrlandoArts - September 29, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For September 28, 2020: Pie-Fection, Git-N-Messy BBQ, Papa Llama, Chicken Fire, And More .. #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoFoodies - September 28, 2020
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Hosts ‘Launch and a Movie’ Sept 29 .. #KSCVC #SpaceX @ExploreSpaceKSC - September 27, 2020
- Virginia Drive Live! Returns to Orlando September 26 .. #VirginaDriveLive #OrlandoEvents - September 23, 2020
- Orlando Weekly’s Taco Week Offers $5 Taco Deals Sept 23-Oct 7 .. #TacoWeek #Foodies @OrlandoWeekly - September 22, 2020
- 18th Annual Global Peace Film Festival Goes Virtual Sept 21-Oct 4 .. #GPFF2020 #PeaceFilmFest #OrlandoArts - September 21, 2020
- Melrose Film Festival 2020 is Free Online Sept 18 – 27 .. #MelroseCenter #OrlandoArts - September 18, 2020
- SeaWorld Orlando’s Halloween Spooktacular 2020 Kicks Off Sept 19 .. #SeaWorldOrlando #Spooktacular - September 17, 2020
- Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin’s Sip, Savor, & Stay Saturdays Kicks Off September 19 .. #SwanDolphin #Foodies - September 16, 2020