This summer, Discovery Cove will celebrate 15 years of operation in Orlando, and it still continues to thrill guests.
When the park first opened on July 1, 2000, it was an anomaly in the world of Orlando theme parks: a reservation-only experience limited to approximately 1,000 guests per day.
At 15 acres, Discovery Cove opened with three signature experiences: guests could swim with dolphins, snorkel with rays and tropical fish, and hand feed exotic birds. Since then, it has expanded to more than 22 acres, and added signature experiences like The Grand Reef.
Here is a list of milestone moments for Discovery Cove:
- In 2013 and 2014, rated the “#1 Amusement Park in the World” in the TripAdvisor® Travelers’ Choice™ awards
- Opened The Grand Reef®, which contains more than 10,000 tropical fish and dozens of rays
- Added SeaVenture®, where guests can experience an underwater guided walking tour
- Opened Freshwater Oasis® with playful Asian otters and curious marmoset monkeys
- Witnessed hundreds of significant animal births and hatchings, from dolphins to birds to sharks
- Pioneered the first C-section on a shark
- Hosted thousands of marriage proposals, birthdays, military homecomings, bucket-list wishes, and more
- Participated in conservation initiatives such as Rising Tide, which helps protect reef ecosystems
“Throughout the parks 15-year history, the Discovery Cove team has provided millions of guests the opportunity to connect with and be inspired by amazing animals in an environment like no other in the world,” said Stewart Clark, Discovery Cove vice president.
Park fans are encouraged to share photos of their favorite memories using #15YearsofDiscovery on Facebook and Instagram. To be a part of the celebration and to book a reservation, visit DiscoveryCove.com.
- Tango Cares Needs Your Help to Feed Orlando’s Unemployed Hospitality Workers .. #TangoCares #MiasItalianKitchen #CafeTuTuTango - July 6, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For July 5, 2020: The Old Jailhouse, Kelly’s Homemade Ice Cream, Chef Bruno Fonseca, Shake Shack, And More .. #OrlandoFoodies #OrlandoRestaurants - July 5, 2020
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating The 4th Of July 2020 .. #4thofJuly #Fireworks #Grilling - July 1, 2020
- The Bourne Stuntacular to Grand Open at Universal Orlando June 30, 2020 with Sneak Peek Online June 29 .. #UniversalOrlando #BourneStuntacular #ThemeParkNews - June 29, 2020
- Florida Suspends Alcohol Consumption at Bars Again Due to COVID-19 .. #FloridaBars #DoYourPart - June 28, 2020
- Orange County Florida Launches New “Safer, Stronger, Together” Campaign for Businesses & Residents to Combat COVID-19 Spread .. #DoYourPartORL #VisitOrlando @OrangeCoFL - June 27, 2020
- Walt Disney World to Give Magic Kingdom’s Splash Mountain New ‘The Princess and the Frog’ Theme .. #WaltDisneyWorld #SplashMountain #ThePrincessandtheFrog #Tiana - June 26, 2020
- ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex to Host ‘MLS is Back’ Tournament This Summer .. #WaltDisneyWorld #ESPN #WWoS #MLSisBack #Soccer - June 21, 2020
- Walt Disney World Cancels Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party for 2020 .. #Disney #MNSSHP #Halloween - June 20, 2020
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Father’s Day 2020 .. #FathersDay #VisitOrlando #OrlandoRestaurants - June 18, 2020