On Wednesday morning, April 29, CitySurfing Orlando was among a group of journalists and local media who were in attendance to watch Nik Wallenda attempt to walk on top of the Orlando Eye.
The sky was grey and overcast, but the rain held back, and a little after 8am, Wallenda began his ascent towards the top of the wheel within the safety of a passenger capsule.
When it reached the top, the wheel stopped. Wallenda then climbed out of the top of that capsule, taking in the view and waving to the crowd below. Crawling down, he stepped onto the rim, and slowly began his walk.
The rim was about six inches wide, with a small one inch lip on one side. There wasn’t anything to stop him from sliding as he walked. As we mentioned in a previous story, he also was not harnessed to anything for safety.
He walked past the second capsule, then climbed up onto the wire rigging of the wheel to wave at us once again. He did it! He walked on top of the Orlando Eye, marking the successful completion of his tenth world record.
Following his walk, Wallenda took to the stage in front of the Orlando Eye and spoke to the crowd about his walk. He mentioned there was a bit of moisture on the rim, but his footwear absorbed it. He said he wasn’t nervous at all, until the end. He was climbing back into a capsule when the ladder folded up on his hand, causing a small scrape.
Congratulations to Nik Wallenda for once again doing what seems impossible and for accomplishing his goal!
I recommend if you want to ride the Orlando Eye, you do so from the comfort and safety of the passenger capsule.
The Orlando Eye officially opens to the public on Monday, May 4, at 10am. Get your advance tickets at officialorlandoeye.com, and pay as little as $18 to ride.
- The Weeknd Brings After Hours Tour to Amway Center in Orlando July 2020 .. @AmwayCenter @TheWeeknd - February 24, 2020
- The 13th Annual UCF-Orlando Jazz Festival Comes to UCF Feb 28-29 .. @UCF #OrlandoArts - February 23, 2020
- The TODAY Show to Broadcast Live from Universal Orlando on Feb 28, 2020 .. @UniversalOrlando @TODAYshow - February 22, 2020
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating National Margarita Day Feb 22, 2020 .. #NationalMargaritaDay - February 21, 2020
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces the FAIRWINDS Broadway in Orlando 2020/2021 Season .. @DrPhillipsCtr #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - February 20, 2020
- The Masked Singer National Tour Comes to Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center This Summer .. #TheMaskedSinger @DrPhillipsCtr - February 17, 2020
- Orlando’s Exploria Stadium Enters Into New Partnership with PepsiCo Beverages North America .. #Pepsi @OrlandoCitySC @ORLPride - February 16, 2020
- Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to Debut at Walt Disney World in 2021 .. @WaltDisneyWorld #StarWars - February 15, 2020
- Fresh Kitchen to Open Lake Mary Location February 24, 2020 .. @EatFreshKitchen - February 14, 2020
- City Works Eatery & Pour House Opens at Disney Springs .. @DisneySprings #CityWorks @CityWorksUS - February 13, 2020