On Sunday afternoon, we went to see the Orlando Shakespeare Theater production of James and the Giant Peach. It’s a well-known story, so I was curious about how this theatre company would make it come alive. They did not disappoint.
The pre-show is always entertaining, and it was this time as well. Mr. Grasshopper and our tour guide, were so much fun! The kids enjoyed this part of the show and it raised the excitement for the rest of the show.
This show is well designed, with minimal sets. The use of your imagination is encouraged and required to fully enjoy the show.
It begins in New York City and is told as if in flashback. We meet James and we are off on our adventure along with him. His time with his Aunts, the trip across the ocean – it’s all there. I don’t want to tell you too much, as you should really go see it!!
Technically, the show was good, and the actors have a good time interacting with the kids and adults alike. I like this small theatre they use. It makes for a more enjoyable experience, I think. The only issue is the lack of adequate parking when there are other events going on in the area.
There is no photography during the show so my pictures are limited. We also could not stay to meet the cast, but they did do a terrific job! If you can fit it in to your schedule, make time to go see this show before it closes! This week is the last chance to catch this show!
James and the Giant Peach has performances Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at 10:15am and noon; Wednesday at 10:30am; and Saturday and Sunday at 2pm.
Tickets are $9 for all Tuesday through Friday, and on Saturday and Sunday, they are $12 for children and $15 for adults. You can purchase tickets online at orlandoshakes.org, or or in person at the Lowndes Shakespeare Center (812 East Rollins Street).
[Photos by Carol Garreans]
- Out and About: The Big Bounce America Tour is Fun for All Ages .. @TheBigBounceUSA - October 24, 2019
- Out and About: The Holy Land Experience Debuts New Show ‘David: King of Jerusalem’ .. #HolyLandExp #WhereTheTrueHeroesLive - September 30, 2019
- Out and About: ‘Tuck Everlasting: The Musical’ at The Orlando REP .. @OrlandoREP - September 28, 2019
- Out and About: Disney On Ice Brings Road Trip Adventures to Orlando - September 8, 2019
- Out and About: Nona Adventure Park Opens in Orlando @Nona_Adventure - March 30, 2019
- Out and About: Monster Jam in 2019 is Better Than Ever! - January 15, 2019
- Out and About: Maker Faire Orlando 2018 Was a Fun Family Weekend - November 15, 2018
- Out and About: LEGOLAND Florida’s Brick or Treat Offers Family-Friendly Spooky Fun - October 13, 2018
- Out and About: Catching the Premiere of Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Search Party - September 10, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam Triple Threat at the Amway Center was Fun for the Whole Family - August 20, 2018