After a day at a local water park, my family and I decided to eat supper at Mellow Mushroom‘s newest Orlando location on I-Drive.
The décor is modern and comfortable. We were at a booth that faced outside as the sun was setting. Our one complaint is that they did not have blinds or coverings on the door to block the sun for the 2 that were facing that way. They do have a very cool guitar chandelier, but I failed to get pictures of it or any of the décor. I was focused on the pizza.
I haven’t eaten at this chain before, however my husband has eaten at them other places around the country. We started with a spinach artichoke dip that was very good and gone before I could get a picture. Yep, we were hungry.
We ordered 4 different pizzas for us to try: a small plain cheese for our son; a small Funky Q. Chicken; a medium that was half Thai Dye and half Philosopher’s Pie; and a small House Special.
The Philosopher’s Pie has an olive oil & garlic base, grilled steak, Portobello mushrooms, artichoke hearts, Kalamata olives, Provolone, feta & mozzarella cheeses. We liked it.
The Thai Dye also has an olive oil and garlic base, but is a very different flavor all it’s own. It has grilled grilled curry chicken, mozzarella cheese, Roma tomatoes, onions. It is then topped with fresh basil, cucumbers and a sweet swirl of Thai chili sauce. It has more of an Indian flavor to it, I think, instead of Thai. No matter what, it was really good.
The Funky Q Chicken pizza has bbq chicken, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, caramelized onions, Applewood smoked bacon (real big pieces too, not just chopped bits from a bag) and is finished with a bbq sauce swirl. It was good. I am not a fan of BBQ pizza, so I am not a good judge. I ordered it without the onions as I don’t like onions all that much.
The House Special pizza looked amazing, but I have yet to try it. It has a red sauce base with mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, sausage, ground beef, ham, Applewood smoked bacon, mushrooms, black olives, Roma tomatoes, green peppers, and onions, topped with more mozzarella cheese. I will have to wait until lunch tomorrow to try it as I was too full! I can’t wait… maybe a midnight snack…..
Yes, that is a lot of pizza for our family of four. We made a good dent, but brought home enough for another meal. The crust is a whole wheat crust and is a hearty crust. Even the kids, who don’t normally eat the crust, ate all the crust! It holds up well to all the toppings of the specialty pizzas.
They also offer calzones, salads, build your own salad, build your own pizzas, hoagies, and other munchies. Our meal was not inexpensive, plus the ingredients are fresh, and the service was good. I am looking forward to coming back and trying something completely different. Or not…the pizzas we had were good.
The I-Drive Mellow Mushroom location is at 10725 International Drive, near SeaWorld Orlando. Their phone is 407-351-9670. They do dine in and carry out only.
There are two other Orlando area locations: 11680 E. Colonial Drive, and at 2015 Aloma Ave in Winter Park. For more information, including a menu, visit mellowmushroom.com.
[Photos by Kirk Garreans]
- Out and About: Nona Adventure Park Opens in Orlando @Nona_Adventure - March 30, 2019
- Out and About: Monster Jam in 2019 is Better Than Ever! - January 15, 2019
- Out and About: Maker Faire Orlando 2018 Was a Fun Family Weekend - November 15, 2018
- Out and About: LEGOLAND Florida’s Brick or Treat Offers Family-Friendly Spooky Fun - October 13, 2018
- Out and About: Catching the Premiere of Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Search Party - September 10, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam Triple Threat at the Amway Center was Fun for the Whole Family - August 20, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam is Coming to Orlando Jan 20 and We Previewed It In Tampa - January 16, 2018
- Out and About: Marvel Universe LIVE! Age of Heroes at the Amway Center is Fun For the Whole Family - January 13, 2018
- New #Wawa Opens on Central Florida Parkway in Orlando - December 14, 2017
- Out and About: Christmas Bricktacular Returns to LEGOland Florida! - December 8, 2017