My husband and I were recently invited to American Gymkhana for dinner, and we were eager to try this new restaurant out. We discovered this is an upscale place, perfect for a date night. Our children eat Indian food all the time, but I would think twice before taking them here, as the atmosphere is better for adults. The faire is modern Indian from the colonial India era. For this evening, my husband, Kirk, and I went as a date – no kids. Yay us!
We ordered two appetizers: the Tandoori Portobello, Broccoli & Onion skewer, and the Malpe Shrimp (seasoned with fennel butter-pepper and garlic-cilantro-curry leaf pesto). Both were very good. The skewer was more spicy than I normally order (yes, I’m a wimp), but my hubby thought it was great.
Next we had the Zaffroni Lobster with the Adraki Gobhi which was actually an appetizer, but I wanted it as my side dish; Nashile Lamb Chops (spiced with whiskey/ginger/black cardamom/garlic) and Daal Mahkni. We also had to have an order of garlic Naan. We shared everything and it was all flavorful, but not overpowering. The lobster was perfectly baked in the tandoori oven then dipped in saffron butter. The taste was wonderful; delicate yet full bodied. The Gobhi (cauliflower) was nicely breaded so it was crispy on the outside, then covered in a ginger sauce. It was wonderful! I do not generally eat lamb, so I’m not a good judge, but although the chops were small, they were tender. My husband says that they were good. The Daal was good and not too spicy as I have had in other restaurants. It’s Daal, and I have not experienced a great diversity in the preparation of this dish.
For dessert Kirk had the Gajarela Bread Pudding, a carrot-flavored dessert served with green chili ice cream. I did have a small bite even though I do not like carrot cake or spicy ice cream. It was an interesting combination. Kirk liked it. I had the Royal Kulfi which was basically an ice cream with sweet basil seeds and a spiced crumble. It was very rich and creamy and took care of the heat in my mouth from earlier dishes.
They do have a sommelier to assist with wine choices, but we did not order any wine tonight. Their wine list does have a good variety, by the quick read I gave it. We instead tried their cocktails. I really enjoyed the Adraki Punch, a citrusy punch featuring fig-infused vodka, homemade honey-ginger syrup, and a mix of lemon and grapefruit juices. I felt it paired well with the dishes.
They have a veranda, in addition to the main room, and it is expected to open in the next couple of days. It will serve appetizers and small plates as well as drinks. It’s a much more relaxed atmosphere and the windows will be able to be opened to our cooler seasonal air. They also have a private dining room that can seat around 30 people.
Everything we had at American Gymkhana was enjoyable and full of flavor. Each bite had its own flavor and seemed to work with the next bite of a different dish to bring out all of the tastes possible. We enjoyed our evening and were very satisfied. We would return in the future.
American Gymkhana is located at is now open at 7559 W Sand Lake Rd in Dr. Phillips, on the second floor (elevator or stairs). It is open for dinner at 5pm. For more information, including menus, visit americangymkhana.com.
[Photos by Kirk Garreans and Carol Garreans]
- Out and About: The Big Bounce America Tour is Fun for All Ages .. @TheBigBounceUSA - October 24, 2019
- Out and About: The Holy Land Experience Debuts New Show ‘David: King of Jerusalem’ .. #HolyLandExp #WhereTheTrueHeroesLive - September 30, 2019
- Out and About: ‘Tuck Everlasting: The Musical’ at The Orlando REP .. @OrlandoREP - September 28, 2019
- Out and About: Disney On Ice Brings Road Trip Adventures to Orlando - September 8, 2019
- Out and About: Nona Adventure Park Opens in Orlando @Nona_Adventure - March 30, 2019
- Out and About: Monster Jam in 2019 is Better Than Ever! - January 15, 2019
- Out and About: Maker Faire Orlando 2018 Was a Fun Family Weekend - November 15, 2018
- Out and About: LEGOLAND Florida’s Brick or Treat Offers Family-Friendly Spooky Fun - October 13, 2018
- Out and About: Catching the Premiere of Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Search Party - September 10, 2018
- Out and About: Monster Jam Triple Threat at the Amway Center was Fun for the Whole Family - August 20, 2018