This last week we were invited to check out a new restaurant opening in Dr. Phillip’s “Restaurant Row” called American Gymkhana, which offers what they call “Modern Indian” cuisine. Over an evening of drinks and passed samples, we were able to try quite a few things off the menu.
We started the evening in the lounge area, dubbed Hunter’s Cocktail Lounge. A short menu of signature mixed drinks were listed, along with a few wine and beer choices. Based on the bartender’s recommendation, I opted to try the Adraki Punch, a citrusy punch featuring fig-infused vodka, homemade honey-ginger syrup, and a mix of lemon and grapefruit juices. It was tangy, with a hint of sweetness, and I felt it paired well with the food samples. We were also offered champagne while we ate.
Moving to the dining room, we began sampling several of the vegetarian starter offerings from the menu such as samosas, dosas, and Adraki Gobhi (cauliflower fritters in a spicy ginger sauce). Then the passed offerings started including meat dishes like Banjara Fried Chicken, Malpe Shrimp, minced lamb kebobs, and Gymkhana Chicken (marinated chicken cooked in a tandoori).
I tried just about everything, and thought it was all very flavorful. My favorite dish was Assiette of Pakora (paneer cheese stuffed into a fresno chili, breaded and fried), which was similar to an Indian version of jalapeno poppers. I also liked the minced lamb, and I’m not normally a fan of lamb.
The dining area is an intimate size, with a side room available for private dinners. Lighting is low, consisting of mostly recessed ceiling lights, antler chandeliers, and stratigically placed candles. This would be a nice date night dinner location, I think.
American Gymkhana is now open at 7559 W Sand Lake Rd in Dr. Phillips, on the second floor (elevator or stairs). It is open for dinner at 5pm. For more information, including menus, visit americangymkhana.com.
- Walt Disney World To Cut Theme Park Hours Starting in September .. #WaltDisneyWorld - August 11, 2020
- Enchanted Fairy Doors Returns to Harry P. Leu Gardens … #LeuGardens #FairyDoors - August 10, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For August 7, 2020: Pig Floyd’s, Framework Craft Coffee Bar, The New Standard, Paddlefish, Eola General, And More .. #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoFoodies - August 7, 2020
- The 2020 Florida Film Festival Goes Virtual August 8-20 .. #FFF2020 - August 6, 2020
- Country Thunder Florida Cancels 2020 Festival and Announces 2021 Dates .. #CountryThunder #musicfestivals #Kissimmee - August 5, 2020
- Walt Disney World Replaces Beauty and the Beast Show at Disney’s Hollywood Studios .. #WaltDisneyWorld #BeautyandtheBeast - August 4, 2020
- Walt Disney World Swan Resort Reopens With Deal for Florida Resident and WDW Passholders .. #SwanandDolphin #FloridaResidentDeals - August 4, 2020
- Universal Orlando Offers Special ‘Buy a Day’ Deal to Florida Residents for Limited Time .. #UniversalOrlando #FloridaResidentDeals - August 3, 2020
- Florida Back To School Sales Tax Holiday Returns August 2020 .. #SchoolTaxHoliday #BacktoSchool - July 31, 2020
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For July 30, 2020: Sister Honey’s, The Capital Grille, Seasons 52, Finca, And More .. #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoFoodies - July 30, 2020