This last week we were invited to check out a new restaurant opening in Dr. Phillip’s “Restaurant Row” called American Gymkhana, which offers what they call “Modern Indian” cuisine. Over an evening of drinks and passed samples, we were able to try quite a few things off the menu.
We started the evening in the lounge area, dubbed Hunter’s Cocktail Lounge. A short menu of signature mixed drinks were listed, along with a few wine and beer choices. Based on the bartender’s recommendation, I opted to try the Adraki Punch, a citrusy punch featuring fig-infused vodka, homemade honey-ginger syrup, and a mix of lemon and grapefruit juices. It was tangy, with a hint of sweetness, and I felt it paired well with the food samples. We were also offered champagne while we ate.
Moving to the dining room, we began sampling several of the vegetarian starter offerings from the menu such as samosas, dosas, and Adraki Gobhi (cauliflower fritters in a spicy ginger sauce). Then the passed offerings started including meat dishes like Banjara Fried Chicken, Malpe Shrimp, minced lamb kebobs, and Gymkhana Chicken (marinated chicken cooked in a tandoori).
I tried just about everything, and thought it was all very flavorful. My favorite dish was Assiette of Pakora (paneer cheese stuffed into a fresno chili, breaded and fried), which was similar to an Indian version of jalapeno poppers. I also liked the minced lamb, and I’m not normally a fan of lamb.
The dining area is an intimate size, with a side room available for private dinners. Lighting is low, consisting of mostly recessed ceiling lights, antler chandeliers, and stratigically placed candles. This would be a nice date night dinner location, I think.
American Gymkhana is now open at 7559 W Sand Lake Rd in Dr. Phillips, on the second floor (elevator or stairs). It is open for dinner at 5pm. For more information, including menus, visit americangymkhana.com.
- Walt Disney World Lays Off Over 700 Entertainers and How You Can Help - October 29, 2020
- Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights Offers 2021 Sneak Peek with Greg Nicotero .. #HalloweenHorrorNights #HHN2021 - October 28, 2020
- Dr Phillips Center to Host Six-Month Outdoor ‘Front Yard Festival’ in Downtown Orlando .. @DrPhillipsCtr #OrlandoArts #FrontYardFestival - October 27, 2020
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating Halloween 2020 In Central Florida .. #OrlandoHalloween #LoveOrlando - October 23, 2020
- Plaza Live Launches Outdoor ‘Front Porch Concerts’ Series .. #OrlandoArts #PlazaLiveOrlando - October 22, 2020
- Out and About: Burger World Tour Dining at Teak Neighborhood Grill .. #OrlandoRestaurants #DiningReview @TeakOrlando - October 21, 2020
- Tame Impala Announces Rescheduled Orlando Tour Date at Amway Center for 2021 .. @AmwayCenter @TameImpala - October 19, 2020
- LEGOLAND Florida Celebrates 9th Birthday with Special Pass Pricing and Peek at 2021 .. @LEGOLANDFlorida #ThemeParkNews - October 16, 2020
- Central Florida Zoo wins AZA award for the Urban Wildlife Information Network .. @CentralFLZoo @CitySanfordFL #CFLAttractions - October 15, 2020
- Out and About: Bottomless Brunching at Cafe Tu Tu Tango in Orlando .. @CafeTuTuTangoFL #OrlandoBrunch #OrlandoRestaurants - October 14, 2020