This last week we were invited to check out a new restaurant opening in Dr. Phillip’s “Restaurant Row” called American Gymkhana, which offers what they call “Modern Indian” cuisine. Over an evening of drinks and passed samples, we were able to try quite a few things off the menu.
We started the evening in the lounge area, dubbed Hunter’s Cocktail Lounge. A short menu of signature mixed drinks were listed, along with a few wine and beer choices. Based on the bartender’s recommendation, I opted to try the Adraki Punch, a citrusy punch featuring fig-infused vodka, homemade honey-ginger syrup, and a mix of lemon and grapefruit juices. It was tangy, with a hint of sweetness, and I felt it paired well with the food samples. We were also offered champagne while we ate.
Moving to the dining room, we began sampling several of the vegetarian starter offerings from the menu such as samosas, dosas, and Adraki Gobhi (cauliflower fritters in a spicy ginger sauce). Then the passed offerings started including meat dishes like Banjara Fried Chicken, Malpe Shrimp, minced lamb kebobs, and Gymkhana Chicken (marinated chicken cooked in a tandoori).
I tried just about everything, and thought it was all very flavorful. My favorite dish was Assiette of Pakora (paneer cheese stuffed into a fresno chili, breaded and fried), which was similar to an Indian version of jalapeno poppers. I also liked the minced lamb, and I’m not normally a fan of lamb.
The dining area is an intimate size, with a side room available for private dinners. Lighting is low, consisting of mostly recessed ceiling lights, antler chandeliers, and stratigically placed candles. This would be a nice date night dinner location, I think.
American Gymkhana is now open at 7559 W Sand Lake Rd in Dr. Phillips, on the second floor (elevator or stairs). It is open for dinner at 5pm. For more information, including menus, visit americangymkhana.com.
- Museum of Illusions Has Opened at ICON Park Orlando .. #MuseumOfIllusionsOrlando @ICONParkOrlando #OrlandoAttractions #TicketDeals - January 19, 2021
- Dinosaur Invasion Returns to Orlando’s Leu Gardens Jan 18-April 18 .. #LeuGardens #Dinosaurs - January 18, 2021
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up For January 15, 2021: Gideon’s Bakehouse, Portillo’s, Major’s Project Pop, And More .. #OrlandoRestaurants #OrlandoFoodies - January 15, 2021
- Grande Lakes Orlando to Host Inaugural “Curated Experiences” Event Jan 29-31, 2021 .. #GrandeLakesOrlando #JWMarriottOrlando #Staycation #RitzCarltonOrlando #LuxuryTravel - January 10, 2021
- Gatorland Offers $9.99 Florida Resident Deal For January .. #Gatorland #FLResident - January 8, 2021
- 2021 Taste of EPCOT International Festival of the Arts Kicks Off Jan 8 .. #WaltDisneyWorld #EPCOT #Disney - January 6, 2021
- Orlando Fringe Partners With Subly For Increased Accessibility Online .. #OrlandoFringe #Subly #OrlandoArts - January 6, 2021
- New Local Haitian TV Station Debuts in Central Florida .. #AyitiTV #OrlandoTV - January 5, 2021
- Visit Orlando Hires New President & CEO .. #VisitOrlando #OrlandoTourism - January 5, 2021
- Park Hopper Option Returns to Walt Disney World for 2021 .. #WaltDisneyWorld #ParkHopping - January 4, 2021