We’ve just passed Halloween, so it’s time for Walt Disney World to start bringing out their Christmas-themed events. One of my favorites is The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and I got a sneak peek at this year’s version on Wednesday night.
For those not familiar with the history of the event, it all started in 1986 when Jennings Osborne decorated his Arkansas home to make his daughter happy. It started with 1000 lights, and grew to the point that he had to buy two neighboring homes to hold the light displays. By 1993, there were over 3 million lights, and neighbors filed a lawsuit claiming the traffic driving by to see the lights was too much. Disney caught wind of this and offered to move the display to Walt Disney World.
In 1995, the first Osborne Lights were put up on what was then “Residential Street” on the backlot of the park (which no longer exists). It now occupies the Streets of America area, all the way down to the entrance of Lights! Motors! Action! (which is located where the old Residential Street used to be).
This year’s display is just as grand and impressive as always, with a few minor changes. The area with Santa Goofy’s meet-and-greet is now near the back-end of the Streets, by the Studio Catering entrance. The Nativity scene has also been moved to this back area, from the side where it previously was, giving it more exposure to guests.
For those who love holiday decorations and light shows, this is a fun event. Once it gets dark, they throw the light switch and guest faces light up with the displays. Holiday music plays continuously, hot chocolate is available for purchase, and every now and then faux snow falls from the sky (it’s really soap bubbles, so try not to eat it).
Every 2 or 3 songs the entire display of lights perform a choreographed dance to the music, and it’s really well done.
The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights is officially open to the public starting tonight (November 7) and it will occur every night through January 4, 2015. It is included with regular admission to Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
- Fairwinds Broadway In Orlando Hosts ‘The Prom’ At Dr. Phillips Center Dec 7-12, 2021 .. @DrPhillipsCtr #FAIRWINDSBway @ThePromMusical #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - November 28, 2021
- 4th Annual FusionFest Returns To Downtown Orlando Nov 27-28, 2021 .. #FusionFest #OrlandoArts - November 23, 2021
- Holidays At LEGOLAND Return To LEGOLAND Florida Starting Nov. 26, 2021 .. @LEGOLANDFlorida #OrlandoHolidays #HolidaysatLEGOLAND - November 22, 2021
- Iron Chef Morimoto Returns to Morimoto Asia to Host Events in Dec 2021 .. #MorimotoAsia #DisneySprings #OrlandoFoodies - November 21, 2021
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating Thanksgiving 2021 In Orlando .. #ThanksgivingDay #ThanksgivingDinners #ThanksgivingBrunch - November 20, 2021
- 2021 Orlando Walk for Apraxia Takes Place Nov. 20 in Casselberry .. #WalkForApraxia @apraxia_kids - November 16, 2021
- The New Walt Disney World Swan Reserve Hotel Officially Opens in Orlando .. #WaltDisneyWorldSwanReserve #SwanReserve #OrlandoHotels #DisneyHotels - November 15, 2021
- ‘Dazzling Nights’ Returns To Light Up Leu Gardens For The 2021 Holidays Starting Nov. 19 .. #DazzlingNights @Creative_Proj @LeuGardens - November 12, 2021
- Immersive Van Gogh Exhibition Debuts in Orlando November 26, 2021 .. #ImmersiveVanGogh #OrlandoArt - November 11, 2021
- 2021 Veterans Day Events and Deals in Central Florida .. #VeteransDay #VeteransDayDeals #VisitOrlando - November 10, 2021