This weekend my family and I checked out the AIMExpo 2014 at the Orange County Convention Center. The convention is a showcase and playground for fans of motorcycles and other outdoor recreational vehicles.
My husband, Kirk, has a motorcycle, and I like to ride with him. I love being on a motorcycle. It’s just fun! But with the kids, it has become a family affair that is pushing me to learn to drive the bike, not just ride on the back. That’s ok, but it’s a big step for me. I do ok on a bicycle, but that is very different from a two-wheeler with a 750cc motor. So maybe a scooter for me? Something that will still be able to keep up with my hubby’s bike? No Problem!! Come check this one out! Or try this bike! This Expo is the perfect place to get a feel of what you like, what scares-you-to-death-but-you-get-on-it-anyway, and what is comfortable for you. And it gives you a chance to see some cool stuff.
We began with the outdoor demo area where you can actually drive the bikes, atv’s, and other fun outdoor vehicles. They had areas set up for adults, and areas set up for kids to try driving the small size atv’s. They also had the gear needed to ride safely – long sleeves, long pants and helmets and boots. Proper attire is a good thing. I however, was not dressed to drive anything this day. Poor planning on my part, I know. Maybe next time. Kirk and the kids were able to drive atv’s on a course. These are the real thing, not the 12 volt toy version we have in the garage for the kids. There is a learning curve, but the kids did get it eventually. If we only lived out where it would make sense to have them…
At Expos like this there are always lots of people looking. It is not necessarily a place to make sales. So I must commend the Suzuki team for their attention to me. Their rep spent the time to talk with me, and made recommendations that were specific to me and my needs. It was really great of them to do that and extremely helpful to me! And I really like the bike and scooter I was looking at.
On the other hand, I must say that it’s disappointing to be completely ignored by a company at events like this. We walked through the demo tent areas and I saw something I liked and wanted to get more information on their product. I was ignored even as I stood at their table with two of their reps sitting there, I was looking for something to take with me for later. Not even a hello from them. Shame on you KymcoUSA! I will not even be considering your product as a result.
Generally, this was a family friendly event. There are still some very scantily clad “booth bunnies” around, and it’s a bit frustrating to see as a parent of a very smart, beautiful girl. But I do understand the draw as there are still mostly guys that ride motorcycles. I bring this up as something to note and it may trigger some interesting questions later at home.
We had a good time today. There was lots to see both outside and inside at the exhibits. Our son is now asking for lights on the rims of his bicycle. My hubby can now keep his phone attached to his bike securely, and our daughter now can keep her hair back under the helmet while riding the bike with daddy. We also obtained info on other items that we are looking for.
This is a great event to attend if you ride or if you’re just thinking of riding and want to put your toes in the water by testing the machines in the demo area. Thanks to AIMExpo for inviting us to check it out!
For more information on AIMExpo, visit AIMExpoUSA.com.
[Photos by Kirk Garreans and Carol Garreans]
- Out and About: Monster Jam is Coming to Orlando Jan 20 and We Previewed It In Tampa - January 16, 2018
- Out and About: Marvel Universe LIVE! Age of Heroes at the Amway Center is Fun For the Whole Family - January 13, 2018
- New #Wawa Opens on Central Florida Parkway in Orlando - December 14, 2017
- Out and About: Christmas Bricktacular Returns to LEGOland Florida! - December 8, 2017
- Out and About: Zarrella’s Italian & Wood Fired Pizza in Cape Canaveral - June 11, 2017
- Out and About: 139th Silver Spurs Rodeo is Fun for the Whole Family - June 8, 2017
- Out and About: Universal Orlando Celebrates Holidays with Macy’s Parade and Grinchmas - December 27, 2016
- Out and About: Disney on Ice Follow Your Heart is Fun for the Whole Family! - September 5, 2016
- Out and About: House of Pho Opens in Orlando - August 14, 2016
- Out and About: A Dining Review of Pincho Factory in Dr Phillips - April 18, 2016