In the realm of sci-fi and comic conventions, Orlando’s MegaCon is one of the biggest in the country. We braved all three days to bring back photos and this recap is of our adventures on Day Three.
We weren’t sure if the crowds would be at the crazy level they were on Saturday, so we headed in extra early on Sunday. Parking was still a beast to deal with, but once inside, we were happy to find crowds were more manageable.
Because of the problems they had the day before, MegaCon decided to try a new system of lining up for panels. I can’t say people were pleased, especially for my first panel for Wil Wheaton. They made everyone fill in all the way to the ends as they entered the room, which resulted in people at the front of the line sitting way off the the sides with bad views. A lot of upset people during that panel, but they seemed to get it worked out before the day was over.
Wil Wheaton was as charming as ever, and talked at length about acting on shows like Star Trek: The Next Generation, and The Big Bang Theory (which he is returning to). He also talked about his online show TableTop, and hinted at a new project that would be airing on TV later this year. Running out of time, he set up a rapid fire round of questions, to which he would he would only answer yes or no, and it was hilarious.
Following Wheaton’s panel, I attended the panel for actor Karl Urban, who has made a name for himself in projects like Lord of the Rings, Dredd, the rebooted Star Trek movies, and his new series, Almost Human. Urban talked about most of his higher profile roles, expressing an interest in possibly doing a Dredd sequel. He also told a very funny story about the Neuron Cream prank played on the set of Star Trek: Into Darkness that had him thinking he was getting radiation poison, courtesy of co-star Simon Pegg.
My last panel of the day was actor Manu Bennett, whom I loved on Spartacus as Crixus. He told a wickedly funny story of his audition for his gig on the TV show Arrow, which involved a military chokehold and a bottle of 5-hour energy drink after being jet lagged in between two 10+ hour flights.
I finished out my weekend at MegaCon 2014 back out on the main floor taking more photos of all the cosplayers. I was again amazed at the hard work and talent that went into creating some of the costumes.
There was a Maleficent on stilts! She was walking around in stilts, people. A couple of Daenerys from Game of Thrones, with a hand made baby dragon! Several Warhammer fighters, with huge body armor! Even a Nazgul and Thranduil from Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit were spotted not more than 15 feet from each other.
I spotted several Doctor Whos – #4 and #10 were especially well done. I saw a Wicked Witch and her Flying Monkey. I saw tons of Disney princesses.
Over the weekend, I spotted a lot of gender switch characters – women dressed as male characters and men dressed as female characters – and that was cool to see people think outside of the box with that. I also loved seeing people of all sizes and races dressing up as the characters they love, regardless of what those characters look like.
People expressing their geek love and creativity…it’s a beautiful thing.
Did you go to MegaCon 2014? What were your favorite parts? Let us know in the comments.
- Aquatica Orlando Announces Florida’s First Dueling Water Slide to Debut in 2020 .. @AquaticaOrlando #RiptideRace - November 15, 2019
- Festival of Trees Turns Orlando Museum of Art Into Winter Wonderland Nov 16-24, 2019 .. @OMAOrlando #FestivalofTrees - November 14, 2019
- Annie Russell Theatre at Rollins College Presents ‘Private Lies: Improvised Film Noir’ Nov 15-23 .. @rollinscollege #OrlandoArts - November 12, 2019
- Orlando SeaWolves Host 2nd Annual Free Soccer Fan Fest at Osceola Heritage Park Nov 17 .. @MCOSeaWolves - November 11, 2019
- Jonas Brothers Bring Happiness Begins Tour to Orlando’s Amway Center November 16 .. @AmwayCenter @JonasBrothers - November 10, 2019
- 8th Annual Barktoberfest Returns to Lake Eola Park Nov 17 .. @ocas_Orlando #Barktoberfest - November 10, 2019
- Lockheed Martin Space and Air Show Tickets On Sale Nov 10 for 2020 Show .. @SpaceandAirShow - November 9, 2019
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Announces Special Veterans Day 2019 Offer .. @ExploreSpaceKSC #VeteransDay - November 8, 2019
- Country Thunder Returns to Kissimmee in 2020 with All-Star Line-Up .. @CountryThunder - November 7, 2019
- College Park JazzFest Returns with Great Sounds, Food, and More November 9, 2019 .. #CollegeParkJazzed - November 6, 2019