In the realm of sci-fi and comic conventions, Orlando’s MegaCon is one of the biggest in the country. We braved all three days to bring back photos and this recap is of our adventures on Day Three.
We weren’t sure if the crowds would be at the crazy level they were on Saturday, so we headed in extra early on Sunday. Parking was still a beast to deal with, but once inside, we were happy to find crowds were more manageable.
Because of the problems they had the day before, MegaCon decided to try a new system of lining up for panels. I can’t say people were pleased, especially for my first panel for Wil Wheaton. They made everyone fill in all the way to the ends as they entered the room, which resulted in people at the front of the line sitting way off the the sides with bad views. A lot of upset people during that panel, but they seemed to get it worked out before the day was over.
Wil Wheaton was as charming as ever, and talked at length about acting on shows like Star Trek: The Next Generation, and The Big Bang Theory (which he is returning to). He also talked about his online show TableTop, and hinted at a new project that would be airing on TV later this year. Running out of time, he set up a rapid fire round of questions, to which he would he would only answer yes or no, and it was hilarious.
Following Wheaton’s panel, I attended the panel for actor Karl Urban, who has made a name for himself in projects like Lord of the Rings, Dredd, the rebooted Star Trek movies, and his new series, Almost Human. Urban talked about most of his higher profile roles, expressing an interest in possibly doing a Dredd sequel. He also told a very funny story about the Neuron Cream prank played on the set of Star Trek: Into Darkness that had him thinking he was getting radiation poison, courtesy of co-star Simon Pegg.
My last panel of the day was actor Manu Bennett, whom I loved on Spartacus as Crixus. He told a wickedly funny story of his audition for his gig on the TV show Arrow, which involved a military chokehold and a bottle of 5-hour energy drink after being jet lagged in between two 10+ hour flights.
I finished out my weekend at MegaCon 2014 back out on the main floor taking more photos of all the cosplayers. I was again amazed at the hard work and talent that went into creating some of the costumes.
There was a Maleficent on stilts! She was walking around in stilts, people. A couple of Daenerys from Game of Thrones, with a hand made baby dragon! Several Warhammer fighters, with huge body armor! Even a Nazgul and Thranduil from Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit were spotted not more than 15 feet from each other.
I spotted several Doctor Whos – #4 and #10 were especially well done. I saw a Wicked Witch and her Flying Monkey. I saw tons of Disney princesses.
Over the weekend, I spotted a lot of gender switch characters – women dressed as male characters and men dressed as female characters – and that was cool to see people think outside of the box with that. I also loved seeing people of all sizes and races dressing up as the characters they love, regardless of what those characters look like.
People expressing their geek love and creativity…it’s a beautiful thing.
Did you go to MegaCon 2014? What were your favorite parts? Let us know in the comments.
- Orlando’s Downtown Arts District Hosts Art After Dark Aug 24 .. @OrlandoSlice - August 21, 2019
- The Wheel at ICON Park Orlando to Light Up in UF & UM Team Colors Aug 23-24 .. @ICONParkOrlando @UF @UnivMiami - August 21, 2019
- Mad Cow Theatre presents ‘Fade’ Aug 23 – Sept 15, 2019 .. @MadCowTheatre - August 20, 2019
- Joe Bonamassa Announces Two Central Florida Dates in February 2020 .. @KingCenterPA @RuthEckerdHall @JBONAMASSA - August 19, 2019
- The Roth Family Jewish Community Center to Host Author Jenna Blum Aug 27 .. @Jenna_Blum @orlandoJCC - August 16, 2019
- Disney On Ice Presents Road Trip Adventures at Amway Center Sept 6-8 + Ticket Giveaway! .. @DisneyOnIce #RoadTripAdventures - August 14, 2019
- Walt Disney World Hosts Grand Opening of NBA Experience at Disney Springs .. #Disney #NBAExperience - August 13, 2019
- Dr. Phillips Center Hosts Free Open House for Fall Arts Classes Aug 17 .. @DrPhillipsCtr - August 12, 2019
- The Orlando Boat Show Returns August 16-18, 2019 + Win Tickets! #Giveaway #TheOrlandoBoatShow - August 8, 2019
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces Fall 2019 Classes Now on Sale … @DrPhillipsCtr - August 6, 2019