In the realm of sci-fi and comic conventions, Orlando’s MegaCon is one of the biggest in the country. We braved all three days to bring back photos and this recap is of our adventures on Day Three.
We weren’t sure if the crowds would be at the crazy level they were on Saturday, so we headed in extra early on Sunday. Parking was still a beast to deal with, but once inside, we were happy to find crowds were more manageable.
Because of the problems they had the day before, MegaCon decided to try a new system of lining up for panels. I can’t say people were pleased, especially for my first panel for Wil Wheaton. They made everyone fill in all the way to the ends as they entered the room, which resulted in people at the front of the line sitting way off the the sides with bad views. A lot of upset people during that panel, but they seemed to get it worked out before the day was over.
Wil Wheaton was as charming as ever, and talked at length about acting on shows like Star Trek: The Next Generation, and The Big Bang Theory (which he is returning to). He also talked about his online show TableTop, and hinted at a new project that would be airing on TV later this year. Running out of time, he set up a rapid fire round of questions, to which he would he would only answer yes or no, and it was hilarious.
Following Wheaton’s panel, I attended the panel for actor Karl Urban, who has made a name for himself in projects like Lord of the Rings, Dredd, the rebooted Star Trek movies, and his new series, Almost Human. Urban talked about most of his higher profile roles, expressing an interest in possibly doing a Dredd sequel. He also told a very funny story about the Neuron Cream prank played on the set of Star Trek: Into Darkness that had him thinking he was getting radiation poison, courtesy of co-star Simon Pegg.
My last panel of the day was actor Manu Bennett, whom I loved on Spartacus as Crixus. He told a wickedly funny story of his audition for his gig on the TV show Arrow, which involved a military chokehold and a bottle of 5-hour energy drink after being jet lagged in between two 10+ hour flights.
I finished out my weekend at MegaCon 2014 back out on the main floor taking more photos of all the cosplayers. I was again amazed at the hard work and talent that went into creating some of the costumes.
There was a Maleficent on stilts! She was walking around in stilts, people. A couple of Daenerys from Game of Thrones, with a hand made baby dragon! Several Warhammer fighters, with huge body armor! Even a Nazgul and Thranduil from Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit were spotted not more than 15 feet from each other.
I spotted several Doctor Whos – #4 and #10 were especially well done. I saw a Wicked Witch and her Flying Monkey. I saw tons of Disney princesses.
Over the weekend, I spotted a lot of gender switch characters – women dressed as male characters and men dressed as female characters – and that was cool to see people think outside of the box with that. I also loved seeing people of all sizes and races dressing up as the characters they love, regardless of what those characters look like.
People expressing their geek love and creativity…it’s a beautiful thing.
Did you go to MegaCon 2014? What were your favorite parts? Let us know in the comments.
- SeaWorld Parks and Busch Gardens Offer Free Admission To U.S. Veterans And Families - May 22, 2019
- Madonna Brings Madame X Tour to Miami for 5 Dates in December 2019 #Madonna - May 21, 2019
- Tickets Now Available for #NBA Experience Opening this Summer at #DisneySprings - May 20, 2019
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Partners with Rocket Mortgage to Honor Apollo 11 Crew @ExploreSpaceKSC - May 19, 2019
- Universal Orlando Offers First Look at Hagrid from Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Ride #HarryPotter #WizardingWorldOrlando - May 18, 2019
- Reggaeton Icon J Balvin to Play @AmwayCenter September 2019 - May 17, 2019
- Eat To The Beat Bands Revealed For 2019 #Epcot Food & Wine Festival at #WaltDisneyWorld - May 16, 2019
- INCUBUS Brings 20th Anniversary Tour to Dr. Phillips Center Nov 2019 - May 15, 2019
- TODAY Show to Live Broadcast the Grand Opening of #TODAYCafe at #UniversalOrlando @TODAYshow - May 14, 2019
- M•A•C Cosmetics to Host World Premiere Event for Disney’s Aladdin Collection at #DisneySprings @MACCosmetics - May 14, 2019