In the realm of sci-fi and comic conventions, Orlando’s MegaCon is one of the biggest in the country. We braved all three days to bring back photos and this recap of our adventures.
The event started Friday, March 21, and even though we got there around noon, the parking lot was already nearly full and creating a backlog of traffic trying to get in. I checked in, got my pass, and barely made it to my first panel of the day for the TV show Smallville. I followed that with panels for the original Battlestar Galactica TV show, and for actor John Barrowman.
As a fan of sci-fi TV and movies, I love attending the panels and hearing recollections of things that happened on the show and behind the scenes. Barrowman was particularly sassy in today’s panel, where he fielded questions on his work on shows like Torchwood and Arrow.
Following the panels, I took a quick look through the vendor room, and was excited to meet Ian Leino and his wife at their booth, cosplaying the TV show Archer. I own several of his designed t-shirts – I was even wearing one today. I also got to meet artist Jasmine Becket-Griffith, who is currently working on some very cool Disney-themed designs.
I then hit the main floor to take photos of all the great cosplay costumes. I saw a whole family of Deadpools, along with numerous other superheroes. One thing I really like about conventions like this is seeing people express themselves and their love for their fandoms. Since today was the start of the weekend, there weren’t as many cosplayers as I had expected, but I still got quite a few shots of some good outfits.
Then it was time to head home and get some rest. Saturday looked like it was going to be crazy…and it was.
Did you go on Friday? What panels did you catch? Were you dressed up? If I got a photo of you, let me know in comments.
- Orlando’s Downtown Arts District Hosts Art After Dark Aug 24 .. @OrlandoSlice - August 21, 2019
- The Wheel at ICON Park Orlando to Light Up in UF & UM Team Colors Aug 23-24 .. @ICONParkOrlando @UF @UnivMiami - August 21, 2019
- Mad Cow Theatre presents ‘Fade’ Aug 23 – Sept 15, 2019 .. @MadCowTheatre - August 20, 2019
- Joe Bonamassa Announces Two Central Florida Dates in February 2020 .. @KingCenterPA @RuthEckerdHall @JBONAMASSA - August 19, 2019
- The Roth Family Jewish Community Center to Host Author Jenna Blum Aug 27 .. @Jenna_Blum @orlandoJCC - August 16, 2019
- Disney On Ice Presents Road Trip Adventures at Amway Center Sept 6-8 + Ticket Giveaway! .. @DisneyOnIce #RoadTripAdventures - August 14, 2019
- Walt Disney World Hosts Grand Opening of NBA Experience at Disney Springs .. #Disney #NBAExperience - August 13, 2019
- Dr. Phillips Center Hosts Free Open House for Fall Arts Classes Aug 17 .. @DrPhillipsCtr - August 12, 2019
- The Orlando Boat Show Returns August 16-18, 2019 + Win Tickets! #Giveaway #TheOrlandoBoatShow - August 8, 2019
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces Fall 2019 Classes Now on Sale … @DrPhillipsCtr - August 6, 2019