In the realm of sci-fi and comic conventions, Orlando’s MegaCon is one of the biggest in the country. We braved all three days to bring back photos and this recap of our adventures.
The event started Friday, March 21, and even though we got there around noon, the parking lot was already nearly full and creating a backlog of traffic trying to get in. I checked in, got my pass, and barely made it to my first panel of the day for the TV show Smallville. I followed that with panels for the original Battlestar Galactica TV show, and for actor John Barrowman.
As a fan of sci-fi TV and movies, I love attending the panels and hearing recollections of things that happened on the show and behind the scenes. Barrowman was particularly sassy in today’s panel, where he fielded questions on his work on shows like Torchwood and Arrow.
Following the panels, I took a quick look through the vendor room, and was excited to meet Ian Leino and his wife at their booth, cosplaying the TV show Archer. I own several of his designed t-shirts – I was even wearing one today. I also got to meet artist Jasmine Becket-Griffith, who is currently working on some very cool Disney-themed designs.
I then hit the main floor to take photos of all the great cosplay costumes. I saw a whole family of Deadpools, along with numerous other superheroes. One thing I really like about conventions like this is seeing people express themselves and their love for their fandoms. Since today was the start of the weekend, there weren’t as many cosplayers as I had expected, but I still got quite a few shots of some good outfits.
Then it was time to head home and get some rest. Saturday looked like it was going to be crazy…and it was.
Did you go on Friday? What panels did you catch? Were you dressed up? If I got a photo of you, let me know in comments.
- Where to Find Restaurants Offering Take-Out and Delivery in the Orlando Area .. #SupportLocalRestaurants #GoodToGoOrlando #OrlandoToGo #VisitOrlando - March 28, 2020
- Crayola Experience Orlando Launches Search for “Kid CEO for the Day” .. @VisitCrayolaORL @VisitCrayola - March 27, 2020
- MEGACON™ Orlando Has Been Postponed to June 4-7, 2020 .. @MegaConOrlando #MegaConOrlando - March 24, 2020
- FAIRWINDS Broadway In Orlando Shows ‘Miss Saigon’ and ‘A Bronx Tale’ at Dr. Phillips Center Have Been Cancelled .. @DrPhillipsCtr @MissSaigonUS @ABronxTaleTour #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - March 23, 2020
- ‘Drawn to Life’ by Cirque du Soleil Postpones March Previews at Disney Springs .. @Cirque @WaltDisneyWorld #DrawnToLife - March 18, 2020
- CitySurfing Orlando’s List of Orlando and Central Florida Closures, Postponements, and Cancellations Due to Coronavirus (Continuously Updated) || #LastUpdated March 27 @ 3pm || - March 14, 2020
- Out and About: Trying the Limited Time “Bone In, Bold Flavors” Menu at LongHorn Steakhouse .. @LongHornSteaks #BoneInBoldFlavor - March 13, 2020
- What Coronavirus Means for Orlando’s Economy and How You Can Help .. #Coronavirus #VisitOrlando #LiveLocal - March 12, 2020
- Out and About: Lunch at Huey Magoo’s in Dr. Phillips .. @HueyMagoos #OrlandoEats #DiningReview - March 12, 2020
- Enrique Iglesias And Ricky Martin Co-Headlining Tour Comes to Amway Center in Orlando October 2020 .. #EnriqueIglesias #RickyMartin @AmwayCenter - March 11, 2020