Friday afternoon, we got a sneak peek of The Art of Warner Bros Cartoons, a new exhibit that starts this weekend at the Orange County Regional History Center.
First thing we noticed was the trail of bunny footprints leading into the exhibit. The walls throughout the journey are lined with stills, and pencil drawings, showing the process of creating the cartoons.
Interspersed with the artwork are signs with information ranging from the history of Warner Bros. cartoons to how the animation is brought to life on screen. For instance, did you know that Porky Pig made his cartoon debut in 1935? Looney Tunes icon Bugs Bunny didn’t make his debut until 5 years later, with Elmer Fudd. Also, the man behind Bug’s voice, Mel Blanc, created distinctive voices for more than 90% of the Warner Bros. characters. What’s up Doc, indeed.
The artwork itself is very cool, as many of the displays still feature handwritten notes on coloring and such. Walking through the exhibit, I was brought back to my childhood by cells and art from favorite cartoons like “What’s Opera Doc?” (I even started singing, “Kill the Wabbit…”), and characters like Marvin the Martian and Speedy Gonzales.
There are interactive areas of the exhibit that allow you to play with cartoon sounds and play with a zoetrope, one of the first devices built to show a moving picture. You can even create your own zoetrope strip.
Make sure you look up in the last room, as there is a special surprise nod to the Wile E. Coyote & Road Runner cartoons.
If you are a fan of classic cartoons, you’ll want to check out this exhibit while it’s in Orlando. It will be at the Orange County Regional History Center through March 23, 2014.
Admission is $15 for adults; seniors, students, and military are $13; and children ages 5-12 are $12. History Center members and children ages 4 and under are free.
There are also special event days throughout the exhibit, both for families and for adults only, such as Saturday Morning Cartoons and Valentine’s Day Date Night. Call (407) 836-7010 for more information, or to register for any of these events.
We had a lot of fun checking out The Art of Warner Bros Cartoons. Thanks to the Orange County Regional History Center for letting us preview it!
Here are some more photos:
- Holidays In Space Returns To Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Dec 17 – 31, 2021 .. @ExploreSpaceKSC #HolidaysInSpace - November 29, 2021
- Fairwinds Broadway In Orlando Hosts ‘The Prom’ At Dr. Phillips Center Dec 7-12, 2021 .. @DrPhillipsCtr #FAIRWINDSBway @ThePromMusical #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - November 28, 2021
- 4th Annual FusionFest Returns To Downtown Orlando Nov 27-28, 2021 .. #FusionFest #OrlandoArts - November 23, 2021
- Holidays At LEGOLAND Return To LEGOLAND Florida Starting Nov. 26, 2021 .. @LEGOLANDFlorida #OrlandoHolidays #HolidaysatLEGOLAND - November 22, 2021
- Iron Chef Morimoto Returns to Morimoto Asia to Host Events in Dec 2021 .. #MorimotoAsia #DisneySprings #OrlandoFoodies - November 21, 2021
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating Thanksgiving 2021 In Orlando .. #ThanksgivingDay #ThanksgivingDinners #ThanksgivingBrunch - November 20, 2021
- 2021 Orlando Walk for Apraxia Takes Place Nov. 20 in Casselberry .. #WalkForApraxia @apraxia_kids - November 16, 2021
- The New Walt Disney World Swan Reserve Hotel Officially Opens in Orlando .. #WaltDisneyWorldSwanReserve #SwanReserve #OrlandoHotels #DisneyHotels - November 15, 2021
- ‘Dazzling Nights’ Returns To Light Up Leu Gardens For The 2021 Holidays Starting Nov. 19 .. #DazzlingNights @Creative_Proj @LeuGardens - November 12, 2021
- Immersive Van Gogh Exhibition Debuts in Orlando November 26, 2021 .. #ImmersiveVanGogh #OrlandoArt - November 11, 2021