Join the Orange County Library System in May 2013 as they celebrate The Big Read featuring The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan and Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month.
May 04 – The Big Read Kick Off Celebration
This celebration begins with a presentation by Li Wei, Chinese Studies Coordinator at the China Center and faculty member of the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures at Rollins College. As a first-generation Chinese American, Li Wei will talk about some of the common issues confronted by Chinese newcomers, such as identity, ethnic stereotypes, and cultural compatibility. He will also share his research experience about a folk music tradition of the Dong in Guizhou, an area that has attracted Amy Tan in recent years for its unique folk choral music. The event ends with an exciting performance featuring the Chinese Lion Dancers from the Hung Fut Hung Man Fei Martial Arts Dragon and Lion Dance Association. This event begins at 11am.
May 25 – The Book, the Movie and the Author of The Joy Luck Club: A Discussion
This Big Read Keynote event features Guiyou Huang, Ph.D., Professor of English & Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs at Norwich University, Vermont and author of over ten books, including The Columbia Guide to Asian American Literature since 1945 and Asian American Literary Studies, as he presents a highly informative presentation on The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. He will delve into this highly acclaimed title whose story was also expertly told on film. Immerse yourself in the world of Amy Tan as he takes the audience through her multilayered novel. This event begins at 11am.
Read, eat, enjoy art, watch movies, go on an online scavenger hunt and most importantly learn with the library this month. For further details, please visit www.ocls.info/bigread.
The Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest.
- Jeremiah’s Italian Ice Offering Leap Year Deal for J-List Members - February 26, 2024
- Pointe Orlando Celebrates Pardi Gras on March 1st - February 26, 2024
- Meet Monster Jam’s Grave Digger at Free Event on February 29, 2024 - February 25, 2024
- Dr. Phillips Center to Host More than 300 Local Heroes at ‘Moulin Rouge! The Musical’ This Week - February 24, 2024
- Museum of Illusions Orlando Offering Free Admission to Leap Year Birthdays Feb. 29 - February 23, 2024
- The Brevard Aquarium and Conservation Center Gets Closer to Breaking Ground - February 23, 2024
- Netflix’s “Somebody Feed Phil” Comes to Orlando Plus Find Out Where You Can Meet Phil & Lilly Rosenthal - February 22, 2024
- Leap Year Birthdays Can Celebrate with Free Chicken from Cowboy Chicken - February 21, 2024
- SeaWorld Orlando Adds to 2024 Seven Seas Food Festival Concert Line-Up - February 20, 2024
- Krak Boba Opens First Central Florida Location in Longwood This Weekend - February 17, 2024