Join the Orange County Library System in May 2013 as they celebrate The Big Read featuring The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan and Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month.
This special celebration highlights themes from the novel and Asian culture throughout the month of May, but of special note are these events at the main branch downtown:
May 04 – The Big Read Kick Off Celebration
This celebration begins with a presentation by Li Wei, Chinese Studies Coordinator at the China Center and faculty member of the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures at Rollins College. As a first-generation Chinese American, Li Wei will talk about some of the common issues confronted by Chinese newcomers, such as identity, ethnic stereotypes, and cultural compatibility. He will also share his research experience about a folk music tradition of the Dong in Guizhou, an area that has attracted Amy Tan in recent years for its unique folk choral music. The event ends with an exciting performance featuring the Chinese Lion Dancers from the Hung Fut Hung Man Fei Martial Arts Dragon and Lion Dance Association. This event begins at 11am.
May 25 – The Book, the Movie and the Author of The Joy Luck Club: A Discussion
This Big Read Keynote event features Guiyou Huang, Ph.D., Professor of English & Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs at Norwich University, Vermont and author of over ten books, including The Columbia Guide to Asian American Literature since 1945 and Asian American Literary Studies, as he presents a highly informative presentation on The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. He will delve into this highly acclaimed title whose story was also expertly told on film. Immerse yourself in the world of Amy Tan as he takes the audience through her multilayered novel. This event begins at 11am.
Read, eat, enjoy art, watch movies, go on an online scavenger hunt and most importantly learn with the library this month. For further details, please visit www.ocls.info/bigread.
The Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest.
- ‘Art in Bloom’ returns to Orlando Museum of Art March 24-26, 2023 - March 21, 2023
- Out and About: JoJo’s ShakeBAR Opens at Pointe Orlando - March 20, 2023
- ‘TRON Lightcycle / Run’ at Magic Kingdom Enters Soft Opening Phase - March 19, 2023
- Little Radical Theatrics Presents ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ March 24-April 2, 2023 - March 15, 2023
- SeaWorld Orlando Adds St. Patrick’s Day Celebration and More Concerts to Seven Seas Food Festival - March 14, 2023
- Broadway In Orlando Presents ‘Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird’ at Orlando’s Dr. Phillips Center March 21-26, 2023 - March 13, 2023
- JoJo’s ShakeBAR Opens at Pointe Orlando March 18, 2023 - March 10, 2023
- Sloppy Joe’s Sponsors The Wheel at ICON Park With Special Offer for Guests in March - March 7, 2023
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces Broadway in Orlando 23/24 Season Titles - March 6, 2023
- Universal Orlando Invites Foodies to Enjoy Mardi Gras 2023 at Its Resorts - March 3, 2023