Many have wondered what changes Walt Disney World has in store for its shopping and entertainment area, Downtown Disney. Yesterday, they announced their plans.
Over the next few years, the entire Downtown Disney area will become Disney Springs, with even more shopping, dining, and entertainment options.
Two new areas will be added: Town Center, with shopping and dining along a promenade; and The Landing, with dining and waterfront views.
The Landing will be located on what is now Pleasure Island. Town Center will take over the parking lot closest to Raglan Road.
The Marketplace and the West Side areas will get spruced up, and there will be new shops and such added. Rumors are that World of Disney will also be expanded, as will Earl of Sandwich.
One of the biggest changes will be the addition of parking garages. One is to sit next to the new Town Center area. The other will be next to Cirque du Soleil, where the front parking lot is now.
From the artists renderings, it looks like the parking lot in front of Planet Hollywood will be turned into a new bus stop area, with room for dozens of buses. I’m not sure if it will become the sole bus area or if Disney will keep the ones by the Marketplace and West Side.
Once complete, Disney Springs will expand from 75 to more than 150 shopping, dining and entertainment venues. I’ve heard some names bandied about, like a Marvel Store (about time!), a World of Coca Cola, and the NYC burger joint Shake Shack, but the blog Save Pleasure Island claims to have insider information on other brands that will added to the list, including something called “Food Truck Row” – sounds interesting, eh?
Disney Springs will open in phases, with completion set for 2016.
Here are some artist renderings, courtesy of Disney, of what the completed Disney Springs will look like:
- Swamp Sistas Hold 2022 Summer Hope For Kids Fundraiser .. @SwampSistas @FeedHopeNow #FightHunger - June 22, 2022
- Out and About: Experiencing ‘Electric Ocean’ at SeaWorld Orlando .. #SeaWorldOrlando #ElectricOcean - June 13, 2022
- Sonny’s BBQ Introduces New Limited-Time BBQ Bowls .. @SonnysBBQ #OrlandoBBQ - June 9, 2022
- Out and About: ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ at Dr. Phillips Center .. #JCSTheMusical #DrPhillipsCenter #OrlandoArts #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - June 8, 2022
- Sixth Annual CommUNITY Rainbow Run and Festival Benefiting onePULSE Foundation To Be Held June 4 .. #CommUNITYRainbowRun #OnePULSE #CharityEvents - June 2, 2022
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Guide To Celebrating National Donut Day June 3, 2022 .. #NationalDonutDay #OrlandoDonuts #OrlandoDoughnuts - June 2, 2022
- Orlando Weekly’s Bite30 Returns Starting June 1, 2022 .. #bite30 #OrlandoDining #Foodies - May 31, 2022
- FAIRWINDS Broadway in Orlando Presents ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ at the Dr. Phillips Center June 7-12, 2022 .. @JCSTheMusical @DrPhillipsCtr #OrlandoBroadwaySeries #OrlandoArts - May 30, 2022
- 2022 Special Olympics USA Games Come to Orlando June 5-12 .. #SpecialOlympics #OrlandoSports - May 26, 2022
- ‘Electric Ocean’ Returns To SeaWorld Orlando May 27, 2022 .. #SeaWorldOrlando #ElectricOcean - May 24, 2022