This month, the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra and the National Young Composers Challenge will launch their 9th annual nationwide composition challenge for students ages 13 to 18.
The challenge kicks off March 16, with the Young Composer’s Workshop. This free workshop will be held from 9am to 5:30pm at the UCF Center for Emerging Media (500 W. Livingston St in Orlando). During it, attendees will learn the priciples of composition, orchestration, music notation, scoring software and MIDI technology.
Orlando Philharmonic musicians will be on hand to provide demonstrations of each orchestral instrument, as well as provide tips for writing for these instruments.
During the event, the attendees may also write and enter a composition into the competition, but it is not necessary to do so just to attend.
The workshop is first-come, first-served, so students may register online at YoungComposersChallenge.org.
Then on March 17, the Orlando Philharmonic will perform the winners of the 2012 National Young Composers Challenge, the 9th annual Composium concert.
The six winning compositions (three orchestral and three ensemble), written by students ages 13 to 18, will be performed at the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center (401 W. Livingston in Orlando). Show starts at 2pm.
Admission to this Composium concert is also free.
This weekend is sponsored by the University of Central Florida, Rollins College, Full Sail University, The Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra, United Arts of Central Florida and the Goldman Charitable Foundation.
- Electric Ocean Returns to SeaWorld Orlando Memorial Day Weekend - May 23, 2018
- Orlando Officially Named Host City For 2022 Special Olympics USA Games - May 21, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup May 19, 2018: Taste Central Florida, Habit Burger, Hopdoddy Burger Bar, and More - May 19, 2018
- IAAPA Breaks Ground on New International Headquarters in Orlando - May 18, 2018
- MEGACON Orlando to give First Look at New Madame Tussauds’ Justice League Exhibit - May 16, 2018
- Headliners Announced for Rock the Universe 2018 at Universal Orlando - May 14, 2018
- Out and About: Orlando Welcomes 72 Million Visitors in 2017 #VisitOrlando - May 11, 2018
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks for Celebrating Mother’s Day 2018 - May 10, 2018
- Schedule Announced for Sunset Music Festival in Tampa May 26-27, 2018 #SMF2018 - May 9, 2018
- Reading is Magical with Disney on Ice and the Orlando Public Library on May 10, 2018 - May 8, 2018