This month, the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra and the National Young Composers Challenge will launch their 9th annual nationwide composition challenge for students ages 13 to 18.
The challenge kicks off March 16, with the Young Composer’s Workshop. This free workshop will be held from 9am to 5:30pm at the UCF Center for Emerging Media (500 W. Livingston St in Orlando). During it, attendees will learn the priciples of composition, orchestration, music notation, scoring software and MIDI technology.
Orlando Philharmonic musicians will be on hand to provide demonstrations of each orchestral instrument, as well as provide tips for writing for these instruments.
During the event, the attendees may also write and enter a composition into the competition, but it is not necessary to do so just to attend.
The workshop is first-come, first-served, so students may register online at YoungComposersChallenge.org.
Then on March 17, the Orlando Philharmonic will perform the winners of the 2012 National Young Composers Challenge, the 9th annual Composium concert.
The six winning compositions (three orchestral and three ensemble), written by students ages 13 to 18, will be performed at the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center (401 W. Livingston in Orlando). Show starts at 2pm.
Admission to this Composium concert is also free.
This weekend is sponsored by the University of Central Florida, Rollins College, Full Sail University, The Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra, United Arts of Central Florida and the Goldman Charitable Foundation.
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks for Celebrating National Margarita Day - February 21, 2019
- Florida Strawberry Festival Brings The Yum To Plant City Feb 28-Mar 10, 2019 #BerryFest19 - February 20, 2019
- MegaCon Orlando Brings Star-Studded Fandom Fun May 16-19, 2019 #MegaConOrlando19 - February 19, 2019
- Chef José Andrés to open Jaleo and Pepe Restaurants at #Disney Springs Winter 2019 @ChefJoseAndres - February 18, 2019
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces 2019-2020 FAIRWINDS Broadway in Orlando Season @drphillipsctr #OrlandoBroadwaySeries - February 15, 2019
- Out and About: Cheddar’s Adds New Comfort Food Dishes to the Menu #CheddarsScratchKitchen #csktvtheloop - February 14, 2019
- Pentatonix and Rachel Platten Bring World Tour to Orlando’s Amway Center June 1 #PTXTheWorldTour - February 13, 2019
- Walt #Disney World Offering New Dining Package for Final Months of IllumiNations at Epcot - February 13, 2019
- 142nd Silver Spurs Rodeo Returns To Kissimmee Feb 15-17, 2019 #SilverSpursRodeo - February 12, 2019
- Free Indie-Folkfest 2019 Returns to the Mennello Museum of American Art Feb 16 @MennelloMuseum - February 11, 2019