This month, the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra and the National Young Composers Challenge will launch their 9th annual nationwide composition challenge for students ages 13 to 18.
The challenge kicks off March 16, with the Young Composer’s Workshop. This free workshop will be held from 9am to 5:30pm at the UCF Center for Emerging Media (500 W. Livingston St in Orlando). During it, attendees will learn the priciples of composition, orchestration, music notation, scoring software and MIDI technology.
Orlando Philharmonic musicians will be on hand to provide demonstrations of each orchestral instrument, as well as provide tips for writing for these instruments.
During the event, the attendees may also write and enter a composition into the competition, but it is not necessary to do so just to attend.
The workshop is first-come, first-served, so students may register online at YoungComposersChallenge.org.
Then on March 17, the Orlando Philharmonic will perform the winners of the 2012 National Young Composers Challenge, the 9th annual Composium concert.
The six winning compositions (three orchestral and three ensemble), written by students ages 13 to 18, will be performed at the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center (401 W. Livingston in Orlando). Show starts at 2pm.
Admission to this Composium concert is also free.
This weekend is sponsored by the University of Central Florida, Rollins College, Full Sail University, The Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra, United Arts of Central Florida and the Goldman Charitable Foundation.
- Michael Bublé Returns to Central Florida Feb 2019 with Shows in Orlando and Tampa - November 18, 2018
- The Central Florida International Auto Show Rolls Into Orlando Thanksgiving Weekend + Ticket #Giveaway - November 14, 2018
- Backstreet Boys Return to Orlando with Amway Center Show Aug 24, 2019 @backstreetboys @amwaycenter - November 13, 2018
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces #HAMILTON Single Ticket On Sale Date For Orlando Shows @drphillipsctr - November 12, 2018
- Orlando Science Center to Host Thanksgiving Break Camps for Kids Nov 19-21, 2018 - November 12, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Round-Up – November 10: Urbain 40, Ford’s Garage, Taverna Opa, and More - November 10, 2018
- Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra Welcomes Conductor Laura Jackson for Tchaikovsky & Mozart - November 8, 2018
- Get Your DIY On at Maker Faire Orlando November 10-11 #OrlandoMakers - November 6, 2018
- KIDZ BOP Weekend Returns to LEGOLAND Florida Nov 10-12, 2018 #BuiltForKids - November 3, 2018
- Festival Of Trees Returns to Orlando Museum Of Art Nov 10-18, 2018 @omaorlando - November 2, 2018