When it does, it will take a new approach to its staged opera productions by adding virtual sets. Instead of creating real scenery and backdrops, they will use projected images to help tell the story.
“Projected images help us expand beyond the limitations of hard scenery,” said Robert Swedberg, stage director for this production. “They allow the inclusion of visual themes and visions that would otherwise not be possible.”
The cast includes Shu-Ying Li as Cio-Cio-San, Brian Jagde as Lieutenant Pinkerton, Thomas Potter as Sharpless, and Mika Shigematsu as Suzuki. The graphic projections and sets will be designed by scenic designer Lisa Buck, and the chorus will be directed by Robin Stamper of Florida Opera Theatre.
Written by Giacomo Puccini and premiered in 1904, the story of Madama Butterfly follows Cio-Cio-San, a beautiful young geisha who sacrifices her family, her religion, and ultimately her life for an American naval officer, Lieutenant Pinkerton, who takes her as his bride for convenience, with no intention of bringing her home to America. The original opera later inspired the Broadway musical, Miss Saigon.
Conducted by Christopher Wilkins, performances will take place on Friday, April 5 at 8pm and Sunday, April 7 at 2pm.
Tickets are $22-$82, and available at 407-770-0071 or OrlandoPhil.org/Opera. The Orlando Philharmonic’s 2012-2013 opera series is sponsored by United Arts of Central Florida, Darden Restaurants and The Bryce L. West Foundation.
- SeaWorld Orlando Announces New Annual Pass Program - October 15, 2018
- Wild Florida Hosts Sloth Week with Free Admission Oct 15-20 @WildFlorida - October 14, 2018
- Out and About: Sonny’s BBQ Celebrates National Pulled Pork Day 2018 with New Limited Menu Items - October 12, 2018
- Orlando International Airport Has Raised Parking Prices - October 11, 2018
- Annual Pink Off Park Celebration Returns October 19 in Winter Park - October 8, 2018
- Come Out With Pride 2018 Celebrates Orlando’s LGBTQ+ Community Oct 8-14 #KeepDancingOrlando @OrlandoPride - October 7, 2018
- Celebrate #NationalTacoDay 2018 on October 4 With These Orlando-Area Restaurants - October 4, 2018
- Infinity Falls to Open at SeaWorld Orlando October 4, 2018 - October 3, 2018
- Central Florida Foodie Events For October 2018 - October 1, 2018
- David S. Pumpkins Returns to Madame Tussauds Orlando in October - September 30, 2018