When it does, it will take a new approach to its staged opera productions by adding virtual sets. Instead of creating real scenery and backdrops, they will use projected images to help tell the story.
“Projected images help us expand beyond the limitations of hard scenery,” said Robert Swedberg, stage director for this production. “They allow the inclusion of visual themes and visions that would otherwise not be possible.”
The cast includes Shu-Ying Li as Cio-Cio-San, Brian Jagde as Lieutenant Pinkerton, Thomas Potter as Sharpless, and Mika Shigematsu as Suzuki. The graphic projections and sets will be designed by scenic designer Lisa Buck, and the chorus will be directed by Robin Stamper of Florida Opera Theatre.
Written by Giacomo Puccini and premiered in 1904, the story of Madama Butterfly follows Cio-Cio-San, a beautiful young geisha who sacrifices her family, her religion, and ultimately her life for an American naval officer, Lieutenant Pinkerton, who takes her as his bride for convenience, with no intention of bringing her home to America. The original opera later inspired the Broadway musical, Miss Saigon.
Conducted by Christopher Wilkins, performances will take place on Friday, April 5 at 8pm and Sunday, April 7 at 2pm.
Tickets are $22-$82, and available at 407-770-0071 or OrlandoPhil.org/Opera. The Orlando Philharmonic’s 2012-2013 opera series is sponsored by United Arts of Central Florida, Darden Restaurants and The Bryce L. West Foundation.
- Walt Disney World Resort to Offer Special 4-Park Magic Tickets in 2019 - January 17, 2019
- LEGOLAND® Florida Offers New Free Florida Resident Preschool Pass - January 15, 2019
- Don’t Miss Your Shot! Hamilton Comes to the Dr. Phillips Center Jan 22-Feb 10, 2019! @DrPhillipsCtr - January 14, 2019
- Meet Monster Jam Drivers And Their Monster Trucks For Free On January 17, 2019 - January 14, 2019
- 2019 Preschool Card Returns for Free Admission to SeaWorld Orlando and Aquatica for Florida Kids - January 13, 2019
- The 2019 Florida State Fair Comes to Tampa Feb 7-18 + Win Tickets! #MyFloridaStateFair @FLStateFair - January 12, 2019
- Go Behind-The-Scenes at SeaWorld Orlando During Inside Look Weekends in January - January 11, 2019
- Orlando Science Center Hosts #Otronicon Edition of Science Night Live Jan 19, 2019 - January 10, 2019
- Aquatica® Orlando Becomes First Water Park In The World To Be A Certified Autism Center - January 9, 2019
- Go Back 20 Years with The Pauses 1998 Tribute Show Weekend at Will’s Pub Jan 11-12 - January 8, 2019