May 2012 is a busy month for musical artists bringing their tours through Orlando. Here’s our picks for shows to check out:
May 3 – The Fray – Hard Rock Live – $41.50-$76.50
This American band is often compared to England’s Coldplay due to the use of the piano as the lead instrument in their sound. They are currently touring for their third CD, Scars andStories.
May 3 – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – Amway Center – $35-$85
Hailing from nearby Gainesville, Florida, Petty and his band have spent the last several decades helping to shape the sound of American rock’n’roll. In 2002, they were inducted into the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame for doing so. They don’t tour very often anymore, so this is a rare chance to catch them live.
May 4 – All American Rejects – The Beacham – $25/$40
This pop punk band behind hits like “Gives You Hell” is back together and touring. Opening forthem is A Rocket To The Moon.
May 4 – Nickelback – Amway Center – $44-$88.50
Everyone claims to hate them, but their songs still dominate the charts and radio airplay, so they are laughing all the way to the bank. Also on this tour are Bush, Seether and My Darkest Days.
May 4 – Rusted Root – Plaza Live – $20 advance/$25 day of
One of the biggest jam bands to come out of the 90s, Rusted Root just celebrated their 20th anniversary together. They’re still going strong, with a new CD called Fortunate Freaks, due in stores this summer.
May 6 – Megadeth – Hard Rock Live – $30-$60
Forming Megadeth after a short stint with Metallica, frontman Dave Mustaine elevated his band to the top ranks of the metal genre. Don’t miss your chance to rock out to one of the original masters of the mosh pit. Lacuna Coil opens
May 7 – Slash featuring Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators – Hard Rock Live – $30-$45
He rose to fame as lead guitarist of bands like Guns ‘n’ Roses and Velvet Revolver, but even on hisown, Slash has command of the six-string that makes others weep in envy. He has a brand new CD due in stores later this month.
May 8 – Ziggy Marley – Hard Rock Live – $35-$45
With a family history that includes the legacy of the Marley name, Bob’s son Ziggy continues to produce some of the best reggae music around.
May 11 – JJ Grey & Mofro – House of Blues – $20 advance/$22 day of
Hailing from North Florida, this band continues to produce music that combines a blues rock soul with a heart of pure pop. Don’t miss this chance to see the band live.
May 12 – Collective Soul – House of Blues – $34 advance/$37 day of
Starting with “Shine” in the early 90s, Collective Soul helped shape the sound of the decade with their many hits. Still together and recording, the band will be in Orlando to perform an evening of chart toppers.
May 13 – Chris Cornell – Hard Rock Live – $35-$80
Frontman for both Soundgarden and Audioslave, Cornell goes it alone on this solo acoustic tour that hits Orlando mid-May. Above being one of the best songwriters ever, his voice is just pure magic.
May 15 – Jane’s Addiction – House of Blues – $59.50 advance/$62.50 day of
Bursting out of the grunge rock era with a funkier edge, this band is currently on tour performing hits like “Been Caught Stealing” and “Jane Says.”
May 18 – Lisa Lamapnelli – Hard Rock Live – $45
Her caustic comedy is not for the faint at heart or pure of ear, but Lampanelli can be pretty damn funny. She’s also popular on the Comedy Central Roast specials.
May 26 – John Prine – Plaza Live – $55 and up
Even after four decades of writing and recording, Prine continues to be lauded by fans and peers alike. Recently honored at the Library of Congress by US Poet Laureate Ted Kooser, Prine is continues to perform live and you have a chance to see this amazing singer/songwriter live in Orlando.
May 27 – k.d. lang – Hard Rock Live – $36-$75
A pure delight as both songwriter and singer, this chanteause continues to entrance fans and critics alike with her music. In 2010, she released both a hits retrospective and a brand new country CD, titled Sing It Loud. She also represented her home country of Canada during the opening ceremony of that year’s Winter Olympics.
- Universal Orlando Adds Jason Derulo and Jessie J to 2018 Mardi Gras Headliners - February 15, 2018
- MidiCi Kissimmee Hosts #IHeartMidiCi Charity Pizza Drive During Feb 2018 - February 14, 2018
- 140th Silver Spurs Rodeo Returns To Kissimmee Feb 16-18 #silverspursrodeo - February 12, 2018
- Breaking: Walt Disney World Raises Ticket, Pass, and Parking Prices Effective Feb 11, 2018 - February 11, 2018
- Monster Energy Supercross comes to Tampa Feb. 24 + Discount Ticket Code - February 11, 2018
- Cirque du Soleil Brings New Show VOLTA to Tampa Feb 14-Mar 18, 2018 - February 10, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup February 9, 2018: Pizza Ponte, Lucky’s Market, Fuzzy’s Taco Shop, and More - February 9, 2018
- Disney’s The Lion King Roars into Orlando at the Dr Phillips Center February 14 – March 11, 2018 - February 8, 2018
- Free Orlando Wetlands Festival Returns to Fort Christmas Historical Park Feb 17 2018 - February 6, 2018
- Dr Phillips Charities Present Free Outdoor Family Concert with Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra Feb 10, 2018 - February 5, 2018