With a modern day take on traditional folk, Carolina Chocolate Drops have won themselves a dedicated fan base.
The group takes the banjo-driven string-band music of North Carolina’s Piedmont region and infuses it a slight touches of the blues and bluegrass to create a fusion that is both new and old – a new take on the familiar.
Their album, “Genuine Negro Jig,” won the 2010 Grammy Award for Best Traditional Folk Album. Their newest self-titled four-song EP, a collaboration with Romanian gypsy punk band Luminescent Orchestrii, was released in January of this year to much critical acclaim.
The band will be bringing their high-energy sound, dubbed “dirt-floor dance electricity” by Rolling Stone magazine, to the Plaza Live on May 12, this week.
Tickets are $18 and are available at the Plaza Live website, box office or by phone at 407-228-220. Plaza Live is located at 425 N. Bumby Ave.
As a taste of what to expect if you go, here is an acoustic version of Blu Cantrell’s “Hit Em’ Up Style” on video.
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Guide to 2022 Holiday Events in Central Florida - November 30, 2022
- Places to Donate on Giving Tuesday 2022 in Central Florida - November 29, 2022
- ‘Dazzling Nights’ Returns To Light Up Leu Gardens For The Holidays - November 25, 2022
- Central Florida And Orlando Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals For 2022 - November 24, 2022
- Celebrate Orlando’s Diversity at the Free FusionFest This Weekend - November 23, 2022
- Out and About: Christmas Nights in Lights is a Fun Family Holiday Drive-Through Event - November 21, 2022
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating Thanksgiving 2022 In Orlando - November 18, 2022
- Out and About: SeaWorld Orlando Gives First Look at Ride Vehicle for New ‘Pipeline’ Coaster at IAAPA - November 16, 2022
- Out and About: 2022 Festival of Trees at Orlando Museum of Art Kicks off the Holidays - November 13, 2022
- 2022 Veterans Day Events And Deals In Central Florida - November 7, 2022