With a modern day take on traditional folk, Carolina Chocolate Drops have won themselves a dedicated fan base.
The group takes the banjo-driven string-band music of North Carolina’s Piedmont region and infuses it a slight touches of the blues and bluegrass to create a fusion that is both new and old – a new take on the familiar.
Their album, “Genuine Negro Jig,” won the 2010 Grammy Award for Best Traditional Folk Album. Their newest self-titled four-song EP, a collaboration with Romanian gypsy punk band Luminescent Orchestrii, was released in January of this year to much critical acclaim.
The band will be bringing their high-energy sound, dubbed “dirt-floor dance electricity” by Rolling Stone magazine, to the Plaza Live on May 12, this week.
Tickets are $18 and are available at the Plaza Live website, box office or by phone at 407-228-220. Plaza Live is located at 425 N. Bumby Ave.
As a taste of what to expect if you go, here is an acoustic version of Blu Cantrell’s “Hit Em’ Up Style” on video.
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces The Residency Festival with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and Special Guests Oct 3-8, 2023 - September 11, 2023
- CitySurfing Orlando Turns 13 Today! - September 2, 2023
- Out and About: Magical Dining at AVA MediterrAegean in Winter Park - September 1, 2023
- ‘Every Brilliant Thing’ Starring John O’Hurley Coming to The Garden Theatre in Winter Garden Sept. 8-24 - August 31, 2023
- SeaWorld Orlando Opens Registration for the 2024 Free Teacher Card - August 30, 2023
- A List of Hurricane Idalia Closings in Central Florida - August 29, 2023
- LEGOLAND Florida Offers Florida Resident Rates For Hurricane Idalia Sheltering - August 29, 2023
- Rosen Hotels & Resorts in Orlando Reduces Pricing for Florida Residents Ahead of Idalia - August 28, 2023
- SeaWorld and Busch Garden Florida Parks to Go Cashless Aug 30, 2023 - August 25, 2023
- The Edison at Disney Springs Will Team Up With Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando for Cocktails and a Special Event - August 24, 2023