I’m a voracious reader, and even with the advent of electronic books, I still enjoy picking up and reading from an actual physical book.
So it saddens me to hear today that Borders has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Having worked for them years ago, the writing was on the wall that it would eventually happen. But it still is sad that it has happened.
According to the list of closing stores, Borders Sand Lake, Ocoee, Oviedo and Altamonte Springs will be closing their doors by the end of April. Only the Borders in Winter Park and at the Orlando International Airport will remain open, for now.
The company, which also owns Waldenbooks, closed all of that chain’s Central Florida locations, with the Florida Mall Waldenbooks being the last to go at the end of last month (January 2011).
The closure of these four stores will result in the loss of over 100 jobs. Managers may be offered other jobs within the company, but hourly workers will just be let go.
The only good side to this is that Borders plans to hold going-out-of-business sales at the closing stores. No word on when, but most likely discounting will start by the end of this month.
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces The Residency Festival with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and Special Guests Oct 3-8, 2023 - September 11, 2023
- CitySurfing Orlando Turns 13 Today! - September 2, 2023
- Out and About: Magical Dining at AVA MediterrAegean in Winter Park - September 1, 2023
- ‘Every Brilliant Thing’ Starring John O’Hurley Coming to The Garden Theatre in Winter Garden Sept. 8-24 - August 31, 2023
- SeaWorld Orlando Opens Registration for the 2024 Free Teacher Card - August 30, 2023
- A List of Hurricane Idalia Closings in Central Florida - August 29, 2023
- LEGOLAND Florida Offers Florida Resident Rates For Hurricane Idalia Sheltering - August 29, 2023
- Rosen Hotels & Resorts in Orlando Reduces Pricing for Florida Residents Ahead of Idalia - August 28, 2023
- SeaWorld and Busch Garden Florida Parks to Go Cashless Aug 30, 2023 - August 25, 2023
- The Edison at Disney Springs Will Team Up With Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando for Cocktails and a Special Event - August 24, 2023