I’m a voracious reader, and even with the advent of electronic books, I still enjoy picking up and reading from an actual physical book.
So it saddens me to hear today that Borders has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Having worked for them years ago, the writing was on the wall that it would eventually happen. But it still is sad that it has happened.
According to the list of closing stores, Borders Sand Lake, Ocoee, Oviedo and Altamonte Springs will be closing their doors by the end of April. Only the Borders in Winter Park and at the Orlando International Airport will remain open, for now.
The company, which also owns Waldenbooks, closed all of that chain’s Central Florida locations, with the Florida Mall Waldenbooks being the last to go at the end of last month (January 2011).
The closure of these four stores will result in the loss of over 100 jobs. Managers may be offered other jobs within the company, but hourly workers will just be let go.
The only good side to this is that Borders plans to hold going-out-of-business sales at the closing stores. No word on when, but most likely discounting will start by the end of this month.
- ‘Dazzling Nights’ Returns To Light Up Leu Gardens For The Holidays - November 25, 2022
- Central Florida And Orlando Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals For 2022 - November 24, 2022
- Celebrate Orlando’s Diversity at the Free FusionFest This Weekend - November 23, 2022
- Out and About: Christmas Nights in Lights is a Fun Family Holiday Drive-Through Event - November 21, 2022
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating Thanksgiving 2022 In Orlando - November 18, 2022
- Out and About: 2022 Festival of Trees at Orlando Museum of Art Kicks off the Holidays - November 13, 2022
- 2022 Veterans Day Events And Deals In Central Florida - November 7, 2022
- Sesame Street Kids’ Weekend Returns to SeaWorld Orlando Nov 5-6 - November 4, 2022
- Maker Faire Orlando Returns for 10th Anniversary November 5-6, 2022 - November 3, 2022
- Universal Orlando to Close Five Attractions in January 2023 - November 2, 2022