The Orlando Science Center (OSC) is already a pretty cool place to spend an afternoon. But next week, the place is going to get incredibly geeky cool when OSC hosts the annual Otronicon event January 14-17.
For those wondering, Otronicon is short for (O)rlando Elec(Tron)ic (I)nteractive Technology (Con)vention. The OSC describes the event as “a celebration of interactive technology using video games to demonstrate the future of how we live, learn, work and play.” But it’s really so much more.
Sure, there are video games to check out. Maitland video game creators Electronic Arts are sponsoring the EA Sports Arena and the Rock Band Experience. EA produces games ranging from The Sims to Rock Band to Medal of Honor to Madden NFL Football. Chances are, if you have a gaming system in your house, you own at least one EA game.
Friday night will be so much fun, it’ll bring out the dead. It’s Zombie Night and will feature costume contests, movies, and tournaments featuring games like Left for Dead and Call of Duty: Zombie Survival Mode.
The creators of the recently released TRON: Evolution – Battle Grids will be at Otronicon on Saturday. The original TRON film will also be screened on the Dr. Phillip’s CineDome.
But beyond playing video games, Otronicon will show how this technology is being used in simulators to train the medical and military communities.
Of course, if current video games aren’t your thing, there will also be a Classic Arcade Lounge featuring vintage games like Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Centipede, Gauntlet (I LOVED this game as a kid!) and, yes, the original TRON arcade game.
Saturday night is when the Cocktails and Cosmos party will be held. It features live performances, music, food and drink, and it’s included in that day’s admission.
So how much is all this fun going to cost you? Less than the price of one video game in the store. $17 for adults, $16 for students and seniors, and $12 for kids 3-11. It also costs $5 to park, so stuff as many gamers into the car as possible.
Whether you just want to check out some cool video games or want to learn more about how they’re being used in real life teaching, Otronicon is going to be a fun event for the whole family to check out.
The Orlando Science Center is located at 777 E Princeton St and you can reach them by phone at 888.OSC.4FUN or 407.514.2000.
- The Second City Returns to Dr. Phillips Center Oct 1-2, 2021 .. @DrPhillipsCtr #TheSecondCity #OrlandoComedy - July 29, 2021
- Downtown Arts District Will Host “Art After Dark” Young Professionals Art Event August 14, 2021 .. #DowntownArtsDistrict #ArtAfterDark #CityArtsOrlando #OrlandoArts - July 28, 2021
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex to Host Launch Viewing for ULA Atlas V Starliner Orbital Flight Test July 30 .. @ExploreSpaceKSC #ULAAtlasV #KSCLaunches - July 27, 2021
- Dr. Phillips Center in Orlando to Host ‘Lasting Impressions’ 3D/LED Art Installation Aug 13-Sept 26, 2021 .. @DrPhillipsCtr #LastingImpressions #OrlandoArts - July 27, 2021
- Out and About: Awakened Auras Co. in Downtown Kissimmee Stocks Crystals and More For Sale .. #AwakenedAurasCo #DowntownKissimmee #Kissimmee #MetaphysicalArts #ShopLocal - July 26, 2021
- Walt Disney World Adds 50th Anniversary Medallion to Cinderella’s Castle at Magic Kingdom .. @WaltDisneyWorld #WaltDisneyWorld #MagicKingdom #DisneyWorld50 - July 26, 2021
- Out and About: Limbhelados Serves Up Luscious Frozen Desserts in Downtown Kissimmee .. #Limbhelados #Limber #Kissimmee #EatLocal - July 23, 2021
- Walt Disney World To Bring Back More Entertainment to Parks Starting August 2021 .. @WaltDisneyWorld #WaltDisneyWorld #ThemeParks - July 22, 2021
- Universal Orlando to Start 2021 Holiday Celebrations on November 13 .. @UniversalOrlando #UniversalOrlando #OrlandoHolidays #VisitOrlando - July 20, 2021
- 2021 Florida Cup Comes to Orlando July 25 & 28 + Ticket Discount Code! .. #FloridaCup #RiseUpOrlando #OrlandoSoccer - July 19, 2021