The Orlando Science Center (OSC) is already a pretty cool place to spend an afternoon. But next week, the place is going to get incredibly geeky cool when OSC hosts the annual Otronicon event January 14-17.
For those wondering, Otronicon is short for (O)rlando Elec(Tron)ic (I)nteractive Technology (Con)vention. The OSC describes the event as “a celebration of interactive technology using video games to demonstrate the future of how we live, learn, work and play.” But it’s really so much more.
Sure, there are video games to check out. Maitland video game creators Electronic Arts are sponsoring the EA Sports Arena and the Rock Band Experience. EA produces games ranging from The Sims to Rock Band to Medal of Honor to Madden NFL Football. Chances are, if you have a gaming system in your house, you own at least one EA game.
Friday night will be so much fun, it’ll bring out the dead. It’s Zombie Night and will feature costume contests, movies, and tournaments featuring games like Left for Dead and Call of Duty: Zombie Survival Mode.
The creators of the recently released TRON: Evolution – Battle Grids will be at Otronicon on Saturday. The original TRON film will also be screened on the Dr. Phillip’s CineDome.
But beyond playing video games, Otronicon will show how this technology is being used in simulators to train the medical and military communities.
Of course, if current video games aren’t your thing, there will also be a Classic Arcade Lounge featuring vintage games like Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Centipede, Gauntlet (I LOVED this game as a kid!) and, yes, the original TRON arcade game.
Saturday night is when the Cocktails and Cosmos party will be held. It features live performances, music, food and drink, and it’s included in that day’s admission.
So how much is all this fun going to cost you? Less than the price of one video game in the store. $17 for adults, $16 for students and seniors, and $12 for kids 3-11. It also costs $5 to park, so stuff as many gamers into the car as possible.
Whether you just want to check out some cool video games or want to learn more about how they’re being used in real life teaching, Otronicon is going to be a fun event for the whole family to check out.
The Orlando Science Center is located at 777 E Princeton St and you can reach them by phone at 888.OSC.4FUN or 407.514.2000.
- WRESTLEMANIA® Week 2020 Events at Amalie Arena in Tampa Go Onsale Today .. @WWE @AmalieArena #Wrestlemania - December 13, 2019
- Def Leppard, Mötley Crüe, Poison and Joan Jett & The Black Hearts Bring Summer 2020 Tour to Camping World Stadium in Orlando .. @CWStadium @DefLeppard @MotleyCrue @Poison @JoanJett - December 12, 2019
- 2019 Hearthstone Collegiate Championship Fall Finals To Be Held At The Fortress At Full Sail University Dec 14 .. @FullSail @Blizzard_Ent - December 11, 2019
- Orlando Shakes presents ‘Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley’ Through Dec 29 .. @OrlandoShakes - December 11, 2019
- Tony Roma’s Hosts ‘Toys for Tots Toy Drive & Mixer’ Dec 13 .. @TonyRomas #ToysForTots - December 10, 2019
- Epcot International Festival of the Holidays 2019 Food and Drink Guide .. @WaltDisneyWorld #Epcot #Disney #Foodies - December 10, 2019
- Amazon Prime Video To Promote ‘The Aeronauts’ With Free Victorian Fair in Orlando Dec 13 .. @TheAeronautsMov @PrimeVideo - December 9, 2019
- Celebrate the ‘Songs of the Season’ at Dr. Phillips Center for Free on Dec. 12 .. @DrPhillipsCtr - December 8, 2019
- Orlando Story Club Presents “Best Of 2019” at The Abbey on Dec 11 .. @OrlandoStoryClub - December 6, 2019
- #Free 2019 Central Florida #Holiday Events for You and Your Family to Enjoy - December 5, 2019