I first heard of BabyCakes on a Food Network program and I was intrigued, because they offer both gluten-free and vegan baked goods. But I thought I’d have to go to New York City to give it a try.
Imagine my surprise when I went with my roommate to check out the new eateries that are now inhabiting the old McDonald’s building at Downtown Disney, and just to the right of the door was a little counter that turned out to be BabyCakes newest outpost.
There was no question we would be trying some of the baked goods being offered, but which ones?
We started with the case that held the cupcakes. I asked the girl at the counter which was the most popular and she said the gluten-free Red Velvet. So we got that, along with a seasonal Pumpkin flavored cupcake. Both were listed as being agave-sweetened, as it seems BabyCakes also doesn’t use refined sugar.
Then we headed over to the other case and decided to do a brownie-off. We bought one brownie bite sweetened with agave, and one sweetened with unrefined sugar.
The cupcakes were $3.50 each and the brownie bites were $1.25, so with tax, the four items came to about $10.
We found a booth in the back of the seating area and started our tasting.
The brownies went first. The unrefined sugar one was larger but a bit dry and it tasted dense. The agave one was smaller, but it was not only moister, it also had a small pool of liquid chocolate on top that ran down when we cut the brownie in half. Out of the two, the agave-sweetened was the bigger hit with us.
Next we tried the Red Velvet cupcake. The cake part was really dense, and a little dry, but paired with the frosting, it had a good taste that wasn’t super sweet like a regular red velvet cake.
Finally we tried the Pumpkin cupcake. We were both happy that it was saved for last, as it was a big hit with both of us. The cake alone was moist and very flavorful, like a pumpkin-infused spice cake. That paired with the frosting tasted just like a mouthful of pumpkin pie. It was so super yummy!
In addition to the cupcakes and brownies, BabyCakes offers other baked goods like donuts, cookies, loaves and crumbs. Lots of goodies to try on a future trip to Downtown Disney.
So just to clarify, you’ll find BabyCakes in the building with Pollo Campero and Fresh Apeel (in the Marketplace between T-Rex restaurant and Lego Store). Their hours are 8am until 11pm daily.
Want more info? You can call BabyCakes at Downtown Disney at 407-938-9044 and follow them on Twitter @DTDBabyCakesNYC.
[All images by Michelle Snow]
This post is part of the Disney Blog Carnival. Head over there to see more great Disney-related posts and articles.
- Madonna Brings Madame X Tour to Miami for 5 Dates in December 2019 #Madonna - May 21, 2019
- Tickets Now Available for #NBA Experience Opening this Summer at #DisneySprings - May 20, 2019
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Partners with Rocket Mortgage to Honor Apollo 11 Crew @ExploreSpaceKSC - May 19, 2019
- Universal Orlando Offers First Look at Hagrid from Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Ride #HarryPotter #WizardingWorldOrlando - May 18, 2019
- Reggaeton Icon J Balvin to Play @AmwayCenter September 2019 - May 17, 2019
- Eat To The Beat Bands Revealed For 2019 #Epcot Food & Wine Festival at #WaltDisneyWorld - May 16, 2019
- INCUBUS Brings 20th Anniversary Tour to Dr. Phillips Center Nov 2019 - May 15, 2019
- TODAY Show to Live Broadcast the Grand Opening of #TODAYCafe at #UniversalOrlando @TODAYshow - May 14, 2019
- M•A•C Cosmetics to Host World Premiere Event for Disney’s Aladdin Collection at #DisneySprings @MACCosmetics - May 14, 2019
- Monster Jam World Finals XX Saturday Night Competition Winners #MonsterJam - May 13, 2019