The first time I visited Walt Disney World, the first ride I went on was Star Tours at (what was then) Disney-MGM Studios.
That’s soon about to change. Due to constant outcry from both Star Wars and Disney park fans, Star Tours is finally getting an update.
Star Wars creator George Lucas has filmed an entirely new adventure for riders to take. This new one takes place between the two Star Wars movie trilogies and still starts out with people boarding a shuttle to tour the galaxy. Shortly after launch, everyone becomes part of a “detour” that includes becoming part of a pod race (similar to the one shown in Star Wars: Episode 1 Phantom Menace). The adventure is also rumored to be a 3D attraction.
Though the park, in conjunction with the Star Wars convention Celebration V, threw a “Last Tour to Endor” party at the theme park, the ride is still open for a few more days.
But if you want to enjoy the original adventure, you only have until this Tuesday, September 7. As of September 8, Star Tours will be shut down for the renovations and will not be available to ride again until next year. No exact date has been given but I’m guessing they’ll be shooting for May 2011, just in time for next year’s annual Star Wars Weekends.
Thanks to Disney, I can share with you this teaser video for the new film that will run when Star Tours reopens. This video first aired at Celebration V.
- Dr. Phillips Center Announces The Residency Festival with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and Special Guests Oct 3-8, 2023 - September 11, 2023
- CitySurfing Orlando Turns 13 Today! - September 2, 2023
- Out and About: Magical Dining at AVA MediterrAegean in Winter Park - September 1, 2023
- ‘Every Brilliant Thing’ Starring John O’Hurley Coming to The Garden Theatre in Winter Garden Sept. 8-24 - August 31, 2023
- SeaWorld Orlando Opens Registration for the 2024 Free Teacher Card - August 30, 2023
- A List of Hurricane Idalia Closings in Central Florida - August 29, 2023
- LEGOLAND Florida Offers Florida Resident Rates For Hurricane Idalia Sheltering - August 29, 2023
- Rosen Hotels & Resorts in Orlando Reduces Pricing for Florida Residents Ahead of Idalia - August 28, 2023
- SeaWorld and Busch Garden Florida Parks to Go Cashless Aug 30, 2023 - August 25, 2023
- The Edison at Disney Springs Will Team Up With Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando for Cocktails and a Special Event - August 24, 2023