Last night the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, Florida Theatrical Association and Broadway Across America announced the roster of shows for the FAIRWINDS Broadway in Orlando 2016/2017 season.
In addition to the previously announced three-week engagement of the blockbuster Wicked, the line-up includes seven other acclaimed and award-winning productions and musicals.
Here is the complete roster of 2016/2017 shows coming to the Dr. Phillips Center:
The 2013-14 Broadway season in Orlando was announced this week, and it includes several Tony award-winners.
Here is a rundown of the scheduled shows:
- The Book of Mormon from October 29 through November 10, 2013. This nine-time Tony winning musical was written by “South Park” creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker, and it tells the story of two naive Mormon missionaries who travel to AIDS-ravaged Uganda. They learn lessons about religion, humanity, and friendship in often comical ways.
- Flashdance the Musical from December 3-8, 2013. This musical is based on the hit 1980s movie of the same name. It features 16 new songs.
- Once from January 28 through February 2, 2014. This is based on the film of the same name, about a Dublin street musician who is about to give up his dreams when a quirky young woman takes interest in him and his music. This took home eight awards at the 2012 Tonys.
- War Horse from February 25 – March 2, 2014. Based on the movie, the show is set in 1914 England, where a young boy’s beloved horse is sent to the troops fighting in World War I. This production features life-size horse puppets and won 5 awards at the 2011 Tonys.
- Evita from March 25-30, 2014. This award-winning Andrew Lloyd Webber musical follows the rise and fall of Argentina’s Eva Peron. It was recently revived on Broadway, and is now hitting the road again.
- Ghost from May 13-18, 2014. Based on the 1990 movie starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore, this musical version tells the story of a love that transcend’s death.
2013-14 series tickets range from $196 to $668, depending on performance time, day of week and seating location selected, and feature all six of the above shows. To order, call 800-448-6322 or go to OrlandoBroadway.com. Individual show tickets will be available at a later date.
There will also be two additional musical shows that are not included in the series ticket package. Mamma Mia!, based on the music of Abba, will run October 3-9, 2013. Jersey Boys, which tells the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, will run April 15-27, 2014.
All shows will be performed at the Bob Carr Performing Arts Centre, and are presented by the Florida Theatrical Association.
The Florida Theatrical Association has announced that the Broadway hit musical, “The Book of Mormon,” will headline their 25th anniversary season in Orlando.
“The Book of Mormon” is a musical comedy that follows two Mormon missionaries, Elder Price and Elder Cunningham, as they attempt to convert Africans in a war-torn village to their religion.
The show opened on broadway in 2011, and quickly became sold out for months on end. It was written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone of South Park fame, along with Robert Lopez, who co-wrote another hit Broadway musical, Avenue Q.
It won several Tonys, as well as other theater awards, and even a Grammy for the soundtrack.
Exact dates have not been mentioned, but I’m told all will be revealed February 11, when the Florida Theatrical Association announces the complete 2013-14 line-up that will play at the Bob Carr P.A.C.
Season ticketholders will get first chance at “The Book of Mormon” tickets starting February 12. Single tickets will be available later.