Orlando Shakespeare Theater will host an evening with actress Anna Deavere Smith, best known for roles on the TV series The West Wing and Nurse Jackie, on Dec 10, 2017.
Through a short performance and interview, audiences will hear about the process of combining a passion for social causes with documentary style theater making.
Crafted using her unique method, Smith’s theater works seek to “discern the American character and to capture its politics.” Following her interviews with scores of individuals, usually on a topic of civic and political interest, she creates performances in which she plays many characters – as many as 52 in one production – representing multiple points of view.
When granted the prestigious MacArthur Award, her work was described as “a blend of theatrical art, social commentary, journalism, and intimate reverie.”
The discussion, led by Producer in Residence Kristin Clippard, will focus on how she finds the authentic voice of the people she interviews and then creates on stage. There will be a Q&A following the interview.
Tickets start at $30 and are available at orlandoshakes.org or the box office at Lowdnes Shakespeare Center (812 E. Rollins, Orlando).
- Orlando Science Center Opens Registration For Winter Break Camps - December 18, 2017
- Aloma Bowling Centers Offering Winter All Access Pass Through January 2018 - December 17, 2017
- Gaylord Palms Resort Makes “Kiss-Story” By Breaking GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS Title - December 16, 2017
- LEGOland Florida Offers VIP Experience During the Holidays - December 15, 2017
- Visit Orlando Announces Orlando’s Signature Dish - December 14, 2017
- 2017 Marilyn Monroe Look-Alike Crowned by Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Orlando - December 13, 2017
- Skydiving Santas Return to Cocoa Beach Pier December 16, 2017 - December 12, 2017
- Walt Disney World Releases Details on the Disney Skyliner System Stations - December 11, 2017
- MetroWest Hosts Free WinterFest Dec 9, 2017 - December 7, 2017
- Marvel Character Dinner Coming to Universal Orlando in December 2017 - December 6, 2017