Orlando’s Mad Cow Theatre presents Big River: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn September 22 through October 22, as the first production of its Season 21.
Adapted from the novel The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, Big River tells the story of reckless Huckleberry “Huck” Finn, runaway slave Jim, and the journey they take together along the roaring Mississippi River.
Huck and Jim’s heartfelt experience is told through foot-stompin’ music as they navigate their way in search of freedom, friendship, and their future – a classic celebration of pure Americana adventure.
The original Broadway production of Big River took home seven Tony Awards in 1985, including Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical, and Best Original Score, becoming one of the very successful American musicals of the 1980s.
Returning to the Mad Cow Theatre stage are Jeffrey Todd Parrott (Animal Crackers, The History Boys) as Huckleberry Finn, Clinton Harris (Ain’t Misbehavin’, The Brothers Size) as Jim, Bobbie Bell (Pygmalion, You Can’t Take It With You) as Pap, and Alex Mansoori as The Duke (It Was A Very Good Yule.)
Mad Cow also welcomes Liam O’Connor as Tom Sawyer, Mickey “MJ” Layman as the King, and Melissa Jean Peterson as Mary Jane. Big River also features Matt Lipscomb as Dick/Andy, Janine Papin as Widow Douglas/Sally Phelps, Emilie Sheetz as Jo Harper/Joanna Wilkes, Ben Campbell as Ben/Hank, Monica Mulder as Simon/Susan, Reca Oakley as Alice, Austin Sultzbach as Judge Thatcher/Harvey Wilkes, and LaDawn Taylor as Alice’s Daughter. Whitney Morse, Damany O. Riley, Michael Cerasoli, and Zachary S. Williams round out the ensemble. Jacqueline Cunningham is featured as an onstage musician.
Big River is directed by Mark Edward Smith (The Amish Project, 1776), with music direction by Timothy Turner (It Was A Very Good Year), Scenic Design by Alex Whittenberg (Skylight, Constellations), Lighting Design by Eric Craft (Animal Crackers, Three Sisters), and Costume Design by Bailee Booser. Lisa Egan Woods* serves as Stage Manager.
Tickets start at $33, with performances at 7:30pm Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays and at 2:30pm Sundays, with additional performances Saturday, September 30 at 2:30pm. Discounts are available to Students, Seniors, and Active Military.
Talkbacks take place after each Thursday and Sunday performance. Talkbacks are free to audience members.
Monday night performances for Big River will be held on October 2 and 9 at 7:30pm. Tickets start at $18.
To purchase tickets, or for more information, visit madcowtheatre.com.
[Photo: Jeffrey Todd Parrott and Clinton Harris. Photo by Tom Hurst.]
- Tijuana Flats to Host “Day of Outrageousness” on October 21, 2017 - October 20, 2017
- Out and About: On Your Feet! a Dazzling Musical Telling of Gloria and Emilio Estafan’s Rise to Fame - October 19, 2017
- WDW Swan & Dolphin Food & Wine Classic Celebrates 8th Year Oct 27-28, 2017 - October 18, 2017
- Spooky Empire Horror Con Returns to Orlando October 27-29, 2017 - October 17, 2017
- Coca-Cola Orlando Eye Launches Spooky Nights and Spider Frights for Halloween Fun - October 16, 2017
- 6th Annual Orlando Sentinel Pink Bash Set For Oct 20 in Winter Park - October 15, 2017
- Go DIY at Maker Faire Orlando Oct 21-22, 2017 - October 13, 2017
- On Your Feet! The Emilio and Gloria Estefan Broadway Musical Comes to Dr Phillips Center Oct 17-22, 2017 - October 12, 2017
- Salty Sweet Women’s Pro/Am Surf Event Returns to Cocoa Beach Pier Oct 14-15 - October 11, 2017
- Sonny’s BBQ Hosts Pulled Pork Palooza Oct 12 for #NationalPulledPorkDay - October 10, 2017