Universal Orlando has announced the thrill ride Dragon Challenge at Universal’s Islands of Adventure will be closing in September 2017 to make way for a new Harry Potter-themed attraction.
The coaster was originally known as Dueling Dragons, and was one of the main attractions when Islands of Adventure opened in May 1999.
It featured intertwined tracks with inversions, and the ride was themed to two chasing dragons. One side was known as the Chinese Fireball and the other was the Hungarian Horntail.
The ride was renovated in 2009, reopening March 2010. It was renamed Dragon Challenge later that year when The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade grand-opened on June 18, 2010.
Unfortunately the park will lose one of its original rides when Dragon Challenge closes on September 5, 2017. The last day to ride with be Labor Day, September 4.
What do you think? Are you excited for the new Harry Potter attraction? Or are you sad Dragon Challenge is closing? Let us know in comments.
- Artlando Takes Over Loch Haven Park in Orlando Sept 30 - September 24, 2017
- Meet Stars of Sci-Fi/Horror/Comics at MegaCon Tampa Bay Sept 29-Oct 1 - September 23, 2017
- $10 Day Returns To Orlando Science Center On Sept 24, 2017 - September 22, 2017
- Disney to Live Stream Mickey’s Boo To You Parade from Magic Kingdom Sept 22 - September 21, 2017
- Visit Orlando Extends Magical Dining Month to Oct 12 Due to Hurricane Irma - September 20, 2017
- Willie Nelson and Family to Play Dr Phillips Center October 15, 2017 - September 18, 2017
- Spooky Empire Presents Spooky Day in the Parks Sept 22-24, 2017 - September 17, 2017
- Velvet Sessions At Hard Rock Hotel Presents Extreme Sept 21, 2017 - September 15, 2017
- SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Offering BOGO Tickets Through September 17, 2017 - September 13, 2017
- Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra Presents Star Wars: A New Hope in Concert at Dr Phillips Center October 8, 2017 - September 12, 2017