Universal Orlando has announced the thrill ride Dragon Challenge at Universal’s Islands of Adventure will be closing in September 2017 to make way for a new Harry Potter-themed attraction.
The coaster was originally known as Dueling Dragons, and was one of the main attractions when Islands of Adventure opened in May 1999.
It featured intertwined tracks with inversions, and the ride was themed to two chasing dragons. One side was known as the Chinese Fireball and the other was the Hungarian Horntail.
The ride was renovated in 2009, reopening March 2010. It was renamed Dragon Challenge later that year when The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade grand-opened on June 18, 2010.
Unfortunately the park will lose one of its original rides when Dragon Challenge closes on September 5, 2017. The last day to ride with be Labor Day, September 4.
What do you think? Are you excited for the new Harry Potter attraction? Or are you sad Dragon Challenge is closing? Let us know in comments.
- Velvet Sessions At Hard Rock Hotel Presents The Fixx Aug 31, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Win Tickets to Disney On Ice: Dare to Dream at the Amway Center September 8-10, 2017! - August 13, 2017
- Out and About: Sampling the New Menu at Highball and Harvest at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando - August 12, 2017
- Taste! Central Florida to Serve Up Delicious Local Cuisine For a Great Cause August 19, 2017 + Win 2 Tickets! - August 8, 2017
- The Florida Orchestra to Welcome Sting for 50th Anniversary Gala Concert - August 7, 2017
- Dine Around Apopka in August to Help Habitat for Humanity Seminole-Apopka - August 6, 2017
- American Idol Auditions Coming to Orlando August 17, 2017 - August 5, 2017
- Save on Back-to-School with Florida Sales Tax Holiday Aug 4-6, 2017 - August 4, 2017
- BaseLine Tap House Coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios - August 3, 2017
- Out and About: Margaritaville Resort Orlando Breaks Ground - August 2, 2017