A new Mickey Mouse-inspired attraction will be coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios, it was announced at D23 Expo this weekend.
Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will put you inside the wacky and unpredictable world of a Mickey Mouse Cartoon Short where you’re the star and anything can happen. The attraction is inspired by the Mickey Shorts that you can see on the Disney Channel.
It will feature a new story and a new singable attraction theme song, as well as a new experience they are calling “2 1/2 D.” No glasses will be required. Walt Disney Imagineer Kevin Rafferty said teams are inventing new technologies that turn the flat world of a colorful cartoon short into a “dimensional display of amazingness.”
While an attraction based on the Mouse that build the World is exciting, the downside is it will be replacing the much loved The Great Movie Ride, which as been the centerpiece of the park since it opened. In fact it was just refurbished a few years ago.
At least, from what I understand, the Chinese Theater exterior will remain. But the iconic Walt Disney World attraction will close in less than a month on August 13, 2017, to make way for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway.
No opening date has been listed for the new attraction, but I’m guessing it will be open in time for Walt Disney World’s 50th anniversary in 2021.
What are your feelings about this? Can they still call it “Hollywood” studios when the main “Hollywood” ride is gone? Let us know in comments.
[Images courtesy Walt Disney Parks & Resorts]
- Spooky Empire Horror Con Returns to Orlando October 27-29, 2017 - October 17, 2017
- Coca-Cola Orlando Eye Launches Spooky Nights and Spider Frights for Halloween Fun - October 16, 2017
- 6th Annual Orlando Sentinel Pink Bash Set For Oct 20 in Winter Park - October 15, 2017
- On Your Feet! The Emilio and Gloria Estefan Broadway Musical Comes to Dr Phillips Center Oct 17-22, 2017 - October 12, 2017
- Salty Sweet Women’s Pro/Am Surf Event Returns to Cocoa Beach Pier Oct 14-15 - October 11, 2017
- Sonny’s BBQ Hosts Pulled Pork Palooza Oct 12 for #NationalPulledPorkDay - October 10, 2017
- Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes to Perform Benefit Show at Hard Rock Live Orlando - October 9, 2017
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater Announces Titles for PlayFest 2017 - October 5, 2017
- Win Tickets to The Americas Cake Fair Oct 13-15, 2017! - October 4, 2017
- Celebrate National Taco Day 2017 With These Orlando Area Restaurants - October 4, 2017