It was announced this weekend at D23 Expo The Great Movie Ride at Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be closing in August 2017.
The Great Movie Ride opened with the park on May 1, 1989, and is the last attraction from opening day to remain in operation.
On the park’s opening day, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Minnie Mouse, Goofy, Roger Rabbit, and other Disney characters placed their signatures, footprints, and handprints in front of the façade of The Great Movie Ride, which was housed in a replica of the famous Chinese Theater in Hollywood.
As part of an exclusive programming deal with Disney, Turner Classic Movies agreed to become the sponsor of the attraction. It underwent a refurbishment in 2015, with the addition of a new pre-show and post-show hosted by TCM’s Robert Osborne, who also provides onboard narration to the ride.
If you want to experience the long-running attraction before it closes, you have until August 13, 2017. After that, it will be closed to make way for the new Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway attraction.
What do you think? Are you sad it’s closing, or do you think it’s time for a change? Let us know in comments.
- Velvet Sessions At Hard Rock Hotel Presents The Fixx Aug 31, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Win Tickets to Disney On Ice: Dare to Dream at the Amway Center September 8-10, 2017! - August 13, 2017
- Out and About: Sampling the New Menu at Highball and Harvest at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando - August 12, 2017
- Taste! Central Florida to Serve Up Delicious Local Cuisine For a Great Cause August 19, 2017 + Win 2 Tickets! - August 8, 2017
- The Florida Orchestra to Welcome Sting for 50th Anniversary Gala Concert - August 7, 2017
- Dine Around Apopka in August to Help Habitat for Humanity Seminole-Apopka - August 6, 2017
- American Idol Auditions Coming to Orlando August 17, 2017 - August 5, 2017
- Save on Back-to-School with Florida Sales Tax Holiday Aug 4-6, 2017 - August 4, 2017
- BaseLine Tap House Coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios - August 3, 2017
- Out and About: Margaritaville Resort Orlando Breaks Ground - August 2, 2017