Everybody knows the story of The Wizard of Oz as told from Dorothy’s point of view. But the hit musical Wicked tells the story from the witches Glinda and Elphaba (aka “The Wicked Witch of the West”) point of view.
This show has been a bucket-list item for years, and last night, I finally got to experience it at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. It was everything I thought it would be and more.
The story begins when Elphaba is born, then jumps to when she and Glinda meet for the first time at school. We get to see their friendship grow, then get tested as life events create hatred from the people towards Elphaba. Towards the end of the show, we see interactions with Dorothy but still from the witches’ point of view, and there is a surprise ending, as well.
Wicked is highly entertaining, with catchy songs, great acting, and imaginative sets. The touring cast, especially Jessica Vosk as Elphaba and Amanda Jane Cooper as Glinda, inject a lot of humor – especially physical humor – into the story, and they seem to be having a lot of fun with it.
But Wicked is also an important story about how preconceived notions, and hatred and fear of people who are different, can have devastating results. It’s also a good reminder not to judge people until you hear both sides of the story.
If you want to check out Wicked for yourself (and I suggest you do), it will be at the Dr. Phillips Center through January 29, 2017. Show run Tuesday through Sunday evenings, with matinees on Saturdays and Sundays.
Tickets start at $42.75. They may be purchased online at drphillipscenter.org, by calling 844.513.2014 or by visiting the Dr. Phillips Center Box Office.
There is also a Ticket Lottery for each show. A limited number of $25 orchestra seats will be available. 2 1/2 hours before each performance, names will be collected for 1/2 hour, then names will be drawn to purchase up to 2 tickets, cash only. Winners must be present (with valid ID) or they forfeit the right to purchase the lottery tickets.
[Disclaimer: CitySurfing Orlando was invited to a media night performance. My opinions are always honest, and completely my own.]
- Orlando Science Center Hosts Science Night Live! Craft Beer Edition June 3, 2017 - May 25, 2017
- Out and About: Nine Spices Serves Up Delicious Hotpot Near Universal Orlando - May 23, 2017
- LEGOLAND Florida to Offer $99 Annual Awesomer Pass Sale May 26-29, 2017 - May 22, 2017
- Orlando Dining News Round-Up May 21, 2017: Portobello, The Halal Guys, Tijuana Flats - May 21, 2017
- The Shining is Coming to Universal Orlando Halloween Horror Nights 27 - May 20, 2017
- Sesame Street Land is Coming to SeaWorld Orlando By Fall 2022 - May 19, 2017
- Ace Cafe Orlando Hosts Grand Opening Weekend May 19-21, 2017 - May 15, 2017
- Orlando Fringe Festival Returns To Amaze And Entertain May 16-29, 2017 - May 14, 2017
- Orlando Thanks Visitors in a Guinness World Records Way for Making it No. 1 Destination in U.S. #OrlandosBIGThankYou - May 13, 2017
- Orange County Library System Spring Book Sale Takes Place May 18-21, 2017 - May 11, 2017