Everybody knows the story of The Wizard of Oz as told from Dorothy’s point of view. But the hit musical Wicked tells the story from the witches Glinda and Elphaba (aka “The Wicked Witch of the West”) point of view.
This show has been a bucket-list item for years, and last night, I finally got to experience it at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. It was everything I thought it would be and more.
The story begins when Elphaba is born, then jumps to when she and Glinda meet for the first time at school. We get to see their friendship grow, then get tested as life events create hatred from the people towards Elphaba. Towards the end of the show, we see interactions with Dorothy but still from the witches’ point of view, and there is a surprise ending, as well.
Wicked is highly entertaining, with catchy songs, great acting, and imaginative sets. The touring cast, especially Jessica Vosk as Elphaba and Amanda Jane Cooper as Glinda, inject a lot of humor – especially physical humor – into the story, and they seem to be having a lot of fun with it.
But Wicked is also an important story about how preconceived notions, and hatred and fear of people who are different, can have devastating results. It’s also a good reminder not to judge people until you hear both sides of the story.
If you want to check out Wicked for yourself (and I suggest you do), it will be at the Dr. Phillips Center through January 29, 2017. Show run Tuesday through Sunday evenings, with matinees on Saturdays and Sundays.
Tickets start at $42.75. They may be purchased online at drphillipscenter.org, by calling 844.513.2014 or by visiting the Dr. Phillips Center Box Office.
There is also a Ticket Lottery for each show. A limited number of $25 orchestra seats will be available. 2 1/2 hours before each performance, names will be collected for 1/2 hour, then names will be drawn to purchase up to 2 tickets, cash only. Winners must be present (with valid ID) or they forfeit the right to purchase the lottery tickets.
[Disclaimer: CitySurfing Orlando was invited to a media night performance. My opinions are always honest, and completely my own.]
- Passes Now On Sale for OrlandoiX 2017 at Full Sail University Aug 17-20 - March 23, 2017
- Cars 3 Road to the Races Tour Kicks Off at Disney Springs March 23-26, 2017 - March 22, 2017
- PBA South Open Rolls Into Orlando’s Boardwalk Bowl March 24-26, 2017 - March 21, 2017
- Comedian Chris Rock Brings Total Blackout Tour to Dr Phillips Center April 16 and 17 - March 20, 2017
- Out and About: Millenia 106 offer New American Classics Loaded with Flavor - March 19, 2017
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with Complimentary Irish Samplings - March 15, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Returns to Orlando’s Amway Center This Week - March 14, 2017
- Out and About: Planet Hollywood Observatory at Disney Springs Brings Flavortown to Orlando - March 13, 2017
- Osceola Council on Aging Hosts March for Meals 5K Run & Walk March 18, 2017 - March 12, 2017
- Out and About: Main Event at Pointe Orlando Offers Great Fun and Food for Everyone - March 10, 2017