The holidays at Universal Orlando are full of wonder and magic. Macy’s brings a few balloons from their legendary Thanksgiving Parade to Universal Studios Florida for a mini-parade that makes me want to go to NYC to see the whole thing! It’s amazing to watch as these gigantic balloons are maneuvered down the street in the park. I think I was just as excited as the kids were.
At the end of the parade, Santa stops in front of the Macy’s store façade in the park, and lights the Christmas tree. The parade includes Rockette type dancers, snowmen, penguins, and other characters. The only drawback we had was that we had to get to where we were at 4 pm for a 5pm parade. There is not enough handicap areas in this section of the parade route. I don’t know about elsewhere. I strongly recommend getting there early to get a good viewing spot.
The parks are so pretty at Christmas time. But there is something about Suess Landing that is extra special. Maybe it’s the stage production of Grinchmas Who-liday Spectacular, a live retelling of Dr. Seuss’ classic holiday tale. The entrance is in Islands of Adventure, with the show presented in a soundstage that is located between the two parks.
This show lasting about 30 minutes. This stage production is well done. The acting is good, and the sets put you in the middle of Whoville, while the air conditioning makes it seem like winter. Not really, but it is welcomed with our higher temps than normal for this time of year. The music is composed by Mannheim Steamroller. I really like this show, and so did my family.
The last of the big holiday events is the Mannheim Steamroller concert on select weekends. It’s always seems more like Christmas with their music. Those shows take place in the Universal Studios park, on the Music Plaza Stage. It’s not a 2 hour concert, but it’s a nice relaxing time as the park closes.
All of these events (except the Mannheim Steamroller concert) run on selected dates through January 3, 2017, and are included with park admission. All of these events are also handicap accessible.
Read our post to find out more about holidays at Universal Orlando.
[All photos by Carol Garreans]
- Out and About: Universal Orlando Celebrates Holidays with Macy’s Parade and Grinchmas - December 27, 2016
- Out and About: Disney on Ice Follow Your Heart is Fun for the Whole Family! - September 5, 2016
- Out and About: House of Pho Opens in Orlando - August 14, 2016
- Out and About: A Dining Review of Pincho Factory in Dr Phillips - April 18, 2016
- Out and About: Silver Spurs Rodeo is Fun for the Family - February 20, 2016
- Out and About: Osceola County Fair is a Fun Family Outing - February 15, 2016
- Out and About: Monster Jam is Exciting Family Fun and It’s Coming to Orlando Jan 23 - January 19, 2016
- Out and About: Orlando Shakespeare Theater’s Magic Tree House: A Ghost Tale for Mr. Dickens Fun for Families - October 27, 2015
- Out and About: AIMExpo 2015 Delivers Fun With Motorcycles and ATVs - October 21, 2015
- Out and About: Jimmy Hula’s in Hunters Creek Offers Beach Shack Food and Experience - September 25, 2015