The Buehler Planetarium at Seminole State College is proud to present Space Week 2017, a celebration of all things astronomy, January 6-14.
The week-long celebration will showcase the planetarium’s capabilities and the far-reaching impacts of space exploration to the local community via lectures and demonstrations, as well as laser light shows, culminating in the Winter Sky Festival at the end of the event.
Here’s a run-down of events during Space Week 2017:
Friday, January 6 and Saturday, January 7 – There will be four laser shows each evening, at 7, 8, 9, and 10pm. The cost to attend is $10 for adults, $8 for students and adults 55+, and $5 for Seminole State College students/staff/faculty with ID.
Monday, January 9 – Students and the public are welcome to visit the Sanford/Lake Mary campus for Solar Observing between the A and UP buildings from 10am-2pm. Planetarium representatives will set up three telescopes for solar viewing and will be holding several giveaways for free laser show tickets. Follow #SeminoleSolar on social media.
Tuesday, January 10 – The Space Times Media Roundtable will feature prominent local space journalists who will participate in a moderated panel discussion and provide perspective on the past, present, and future of the Space Coast and NASA. This event, free and open to the public, will occur from 7–8:30pm. at the Fine Arts Concert Hall (Building G on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus). It will also be livestreamed online. Stay up to date using #SpaceTimes on social.
Tuesday, January 10 through Thursday, January 12 – The planetarium is presenting a double feature from 2-3pm.: Legends of the Night Sky: Orion (one of the most well-received children’s laser shows ever produced), along with a guided tour of the solar system utilizing the planetarium’s immensely powerful full dome video system. This event is intended for ages 8 and under. Tickets are $6 for adults and $4 for children ages 3 and up. Capacity is limited to 50 seats per show, and advance registration at Eventbrite is required: Jan 10 * Jan 11 * Jan 12
Wednesday, January 11 – Part of the Stellar Speaker Series of science lectures, Dr. Humberto Campins, the Provost Research Professor of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Central Florida, will be presenting a talk titled: “NASA’s OSIRIS-REx and Asteroid Redirect Missions to Near-Earth Asteroids.” This is scheduled to take place from 7–8:30pm. at the Fine Arts Concert Hall (Building G on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus).
Thursday, January 12 – Join featured presenters from the Buehler Planetarium for Telescope Thursdays at Nerd Nite Orlando XLVII: SPACE NITE. Hosted from 7-9:30pm at The Abbey in downtown Orlando, this special event combines a regularly scheduled Telescope Thursday with Nerd Nite Orlando, and registration is required.
Friday, January 13 and Saturday, January 14 – Seminole State College proudly presents another weekend of laser light shows at the Buehler Planetarium. There will be four shows on Friday evening (7, 8, 9, and 10pm) and five shows on Saturday evening, during the Winter Sky Festival (5:30, 6:30, 7:30, 9, and 10pm). Prices are $10 for adults, $8 for students and adults 55+, and $5 for Seminole State College students/staff/faculty with ID.
Saturday, January 14 – The week-long celebration culminates in the Winter Sky Festival, the largest astronomy-themed event in Florida. With an expected attendance of at least 3,500, this includes talks and demonstrations, two dozen telescopes, laser shows, and food trucks. The event will occur from 5–11pm. Follow #WSF on social media for updates.
Located on Seminole State’s Sanford/Lake Mary Campus, the Emil Buehler Perpetual Trust Planetarium offers live, interactive shows and full-dome video presentations. For more information on the Buehler Planetarium and upcoming Space Week 2017 events, visit seminolestate.edu/planet.
- Passes Now On Sale for OrlandoiX 2017 at Full Sail University Aug 17-20 - March 23, 2017
- Cars 3 Road to the Races Tour Kicks Off at Disney Springs March 23-26, 2017 - March 22, 2017
- PBA South Open Rolls Into Orlando’s Boardwalk Bowl March 24-26, 2017 - March 21, 2017
- Comedian Chris Rock Brings Total Blackout Tour to Dr Phillips Center April 16 and 17 - March 20, 2017
- Out and About: Millenia 106 offer New American Classics Loaded with Flavor - March 19, 2017
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with Complimentary Irish Samplings - March 15, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Returns to Orlando’s Amway Center This Week - March 14, 2017
- Out and About: Planet Hollywood Observatory at Disney Springs Brings Flavortown to Orlando - March 13, 2017
- Osceola Council on Aging Hosts March for Meals 5K Run & Walk March 18, 2017 - March 12, 2017
- Out and About: Main Event at Pointe Orlando Offers Great Fun and Food for Everyone - March 10, 2017