Literally decades in the making, Heroes and Legends featuring the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame is now open at Kennedy Space Center Visitors Complex.
Positioned just inside the entrance, the attraction takes guests on a journey through an awe-inspiring immersive exhibit that uses cutting-edge technology and interactive elements to introduce the legendary men and women who pioneered our journey into space.
Designed by Falcon’s Treehouse, an award winning design Orlando firm, the architectural design for the new building is meant to celebrate spacecraft throughout history and into the future.
Heroes & Legends is separated into three distinct experiences, plus the Astronaut Hall of Fame:
- In What is a Hero?, the stunning 360-degree discovery bay, guests will explore how society defines heroism through diverse perspectives. During the seven-minute presentation, the historic beginning of the space race is acknowledged as the impetus for America’s push to the stars in NASA’s early years and the rivalry between the United States and the Soviet Union during the Cold War.
- Through the Eyes of a Hero is a custom-built theater featuring a multi-sensory experience during which guests will join NASA’s heroes and legends on the most perilous stages of their adventures. Artistically choreographed lighting and special effects such as fog, mist, water spray and wind will be enhanced by intense, deeply resonant sound effects and surrounding images to create the sensation of being “in the moment.” The seven and one-half minute show takes guests on an intimate journey with four space-age heroes to fully immerse them in the awe, excitement and dangers of the first crewed space program missions.
- How Heroes Become Legends offers interactive exhibits that highlight the nine different attributes of our history making astronauts: inspired, curious, passionate, tenacious, disciplined, confident, courageous, principled and selfless. A collection of nine exhibit modules will explore each aforementioned attribute, through the actual experiences of NASA’s astronauts, enhanced with holograms and memorabilia from the astronaut and the space program.
The final exhibit of Heroes & Legends is the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame. Housed in a majestic rotunda, the exhibit intimately connects the visitor to each of the nearly 100 astronaut inductees through the use of state-of-the-art interactive technology. A signature element of the experience will be the ability to capture a memento of their journey: a special photo opportunity that allows the guests to pose with some of the featured heroes and legends.
The goal is for visitors to leave both attractions with a renewed sense of pride and a more in-depth understanding and appreciation of the qualities of heroism represented by NASA’s pioneering astronauts, and why they deserve admiration and respect.
The Boeing Company is the title sponsor of the attraction, marking the first time in more than 50 years that the visitor complex has entered into an agreement with a corporate sponsor.
Heroes & Legends featuring the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame is included with admission to the Kennedy Space Center Visitors Complex. For more information or to purchase admmission, visit KennedySpaceCenter.com.
[Images courtesy Kennedy Space Center]
- Wild Florida Launches First Annual Gator Week May 2017 - April 24, 2017
- Rock & Brews Opens Second Central Florida Location in Orlando April 24 - April 21, 2017
- Velvet Sessions At Hard Rock Hotel Presents Eddie Money April 27 - April 20, 2017
- Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando Hosts Jake’s Beer Dinner April 28 - April 19, 2017
- Out and About: Create Your Nature Offers Healthy Delicious Food in Winter Park #getyourbowlon - April 18, 2017
- Six Orlando Restaurants to be Featured on Upcoming ‘Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives’ Episodes - April 17, 2017
- Walt Disney World Announces Dates for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party 2017 - April 16, 2017
- Planet Fitness Offers Free HydroMassage to Soothe Tax Day Stress April 15-22, 2017 - April 15, 2017
- SeaWorld Orlando to Open Infinity Falls in Summer 2018 - April 14, 2017
- Out and About: Disney Princesses Dish it Out During Disenchanted! at Plaza Live! Orlando - April 13, 2017