Literally decades in the making, Heroes and Legends featuring the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame is now open at Kennedy Space Center Visitors Complex.
Positioned just inside the entrance, the attraction takes guests on a journey through an awe-inspiring immersive exhibit that uses cutting-edge technology and interactive elements to introduce the legendary men and women who pioneered our journey into space.
Designed by Falcon’s Treehouse, an award winning design Orlando firm, the architectural design for the new building is meant to celebrate spacecraft throughout history and into the future.
Heroes & Legends is separated into three distinct experiences, plus the Astronaut Hall of Fame:
- In What is a Hero?, the stunning 360-degree discovery bay, guests will explore how society defines heroism through diverse perspectives. During the seven-minute presentation, the historic beginning of the space race is acknowledged as the impetus for America’s push to the stars in NASA’s early years and the rivalry between the United States and the Soviet Union during the Cold War.
- Through the Eyes of a Hero is a custom-built theater featuring a multi-sensory experience during which guests will join NASA’s heroes and legends on the most perilous stages of their adventures. Artistically choreographed lighting and special effects such as fog, mist, water spray and wind will be enhanced by intense, deeply resonant sound effects and surrounding images to create the sensation of being “in the moment.” The seven and one-half minute show takes guests on an intimate journey with four space-age heroes to fully immerse them in the awe, excitement and dangers of the first crewed space program missions.
- How Heroes Become Legends offers interactive exhibits that highlight the nine different attributes of our history making astronauts: inspired, curious, passionate, tenacious, disciplined, confident, courageous, principled and selfless. A collection of nine exhibit modules will explore each aforementioned attribute, through the actual experiences of NASA’s astronauts, enhanced with holograms and memorabilia from the astronaut and the space program.
The final exhibit of Heroes & Legends is the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame. Housed in a majestic rotunda, the exhibit intimately connects the visitor to each of the nearly 100 astronaut inductees through the use of state-of-the-art interactive technology. A signature element of the experience will be the ability to capture a memento of their journey: a special photo opportunity that allows the guests to pose with some of the featured heroes and legends.
The goal is for visitors to leave both attractions with a renewed sense of pride and a more in-depth understanding and appreciation of the qualities of heroism represented by NASA’s pioneering astronauts, and why they deserve admiration and respect.
The Boeing Company is the title sponsor of the attraction, marking the first time in more than 50 years that the visitor complex has entered into an agreement with a corporate sponsor.
Heroes & Legends featuring the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame is included with admission to the Kennedy Space Center Visitors Complex. For more information or to purchase admmission, visit KennedySpaceCenter.com.
[Images courtesy Kennedy Space Center]
- Orlando Science Center Hosts Science Night Live! Craft Beer Edition June 3, 2017 - May 25, 2017
- Out and About: Nine Spices Serves Up Delicious Hotpot Near Universal Orlando - May 23, 2017
- LEGOLAND Florida to Offer $99 Annual Awesomer Pass Sale May 26-29, 2017 - May 22, 2017
- Orlando Dining News Round-Up May 21, 2017: Portobello, The Halal Guys, Tijuana Flats - May 21, 2017
- The Shining is Coming to Universal Orlando Halloween Horror Nights 27 - May 20, 2017
- Sesame Street Land is Coming to SeaWorld Orlando By Fall 2022 - May 19, 2017
- Ace Cafe Orlando Hosts Grand Opening Weekend May 19-21, 2017 - May 15, 2017
- Orlando Fringe Festival Returns To Amaze And Entertain May 16-29, 2017 - May 14, 2017
- Orlando Thanks Visitors in a Guinness World Records Way for Making it No. 1 Destination in U.S. #OrlandosBIGThankYou - May 13, 2017
- Orange County Library System Spring Book Sale Takes Place May 18-21, 2017 - May 11, 2017