On Tuesday, November 1, I was invited to check out opening night of The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night-Time at Dr Phillips Center.
I didn’t know much about it other than it was a Tony award winning play adapted from the book of the same name, so I was intrigued when I saw the stage set up.
It featured three black walls with a grid layout, surrounded on the top and sides by boxy rows of lights. But there was more than meets the eye to this stage, which featured projections on the wall, moving lights, and secret doors built into the wall to help tell the story.
And that story centered on a teen English boy who tries to figure out who killed the neighbor’s dog. Along the way, he finds out his father, who he lives with, has two very big secrets. Secrets that will change both their lives forever. To say anything more would ruin the big reveal.
I found the story interesting, and the way it is told is inventive and thought-provoking. It’s also rather humorous, including several jokes that break the fourth wall.
If you want to see for yourself, The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night-Time is at the Dr Phillips Center in downtown Orlando through Sunday, November 6.
Tickets start at $33.75 and can be purchased at drphillipscenter.org or at the venue box office.
[Photos courtesy Dr Phillips Center/Joan Marcus photographer, except the Playbill one]
- Visit Orlando Announces Orlando’s Signature Dish - December 14, 2017
- 2017 Marilyn Monroe Look-Alike Crowned by Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Orlando - December 13, 2017
- Skydiving Santas Return to Cocoa Beach Pier December 16, 2017 - December 12, 2017
- Walt Disney World Releases Details on the Disney Skyliner System Stations - December 11, 2017
- MetroWest Hosts Free WinterFest Dec 9, 2017 - December 7, 2017
- Marvel Character Dinner Coming to Universal Orlando in December 2017 - December 6, 2017
- Ripley’s Believe it or Not! Orlando Hosts Marilyn Monroe Look-Alike Contest Dec 9, 2017 - December 5, 2017
- Walt Disney World To Live Stream ‘Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM!’ From Disney’s Hollywood Studios Dec 4, 2017 - December 4, 2017
- Book of Mormon Returns to Dr Phillips Center Dec 12-17, 2017 - December 3, 2017
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater Hosts An Evening with Anna Deavere Smith Dec 10, 2017 - December 2, 2017