On Tuesday, November 1, I was invited to check out opening night of The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night-Time at Dr Phillips Center.
I didn’t know much about it other than it was a Tony award winning play adapted from the book of the same name, so I was intrigued when I saw the stage set up.
It featured three black walls with a grid layout, surrounded on the top and sides by boxy rows of lights. But there was more than meets the eye to this stage, which featured projections on the wall, moving lights, and secret doors built into the wall to help tell the story.
And that story centered on a teen English boy who tries to figure out who killed the neighbor’s dog. Along the way, he finds out his father, who he lives with, has two very big secrets. Secrets that will change both their lives forever. To say anything more would ruin the big reveal.
I found the story interesting, and the way it is told is inventive and thought-provoking. It’s also rather humorous, including several jokes that break the fourth wall.
If you want to see for yourself, The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night-Time is at the Dr Phillips Center in downtown Orlando through Sunday, November 6.
Tickets start at $33.75 and can be purchased at drphillipscenter.org or at the venue box office.
[Photos courtesy Dr Phillips Center/Joan Marcus photographer, except the Playbill one]
- Meet Monster Jam Drivers and Their Monster Trucks on January 19 For Free - January 18, 2017
- Dr Phillips Center Presents An Evening with Billy Crystal Feb 1 - January 16, 2017
- Out and About: Wicked Casts Its Magic Over the Dr Phillips Center - January 13, 2017
- Praise Wave Christian Music Fest Returns to SeaWorld Orlando January 2017 - January 12, 2017
- U2: The Joshua Tree Tour Hits Florida for Two Shows Summer 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Florida Georgia Line to Play Amway Center January 28 - January 9, 2017
- Dr Phillips Center Presents An Evening with Elayne Boosler March 8 - January 8, 2017
- Billy Joel to Rock Amway Center in Orlando January 27 - January 7, 2017
- Orlando Dining News Round-Up January 6 2017: The Meatball Stoppe, Culver’s, PB&G at Four Seasons - January 6, 2017
- Wicked Returns to Dr Phillips Center Jan 11-29 - January 5, 2017