On Tuesday, November 1, I was invited to check out opening night of The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night-Time at Dr Phillips Center.
I didn’t know much about it other than it was a Tony award winning play adapted from the book of the same name, so I was intrigued when I saw the stage set up.
It featured three black walls with a grid layout, surrounded on the top and sides by boxy rows of lights. But there was more than meets the eye to this stage, which featured projections on the wall, moving lights, and secret doors built into the wall to help tell the story.
And that story centered on a teen English boy who tries to figure out who killed the neighbor’s dog. Along the way, he finds out his father, who he lives with, has two very big secrets. Secrets that will change both their lives forever. To say anything more would ruin the big reveal.
I found the story interesting, and the way it is told is inventive and thought-provoking. It’s also rather humorous, including several jokes that break the fourth wall.
If you want to see for yourself, The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night-Time is at the Dr Phillips Center in downtown Orlando through Sunday, November 6.
Tickets start at $33.75 and can be purchased at drphillipscenter.org or at the venue box office.
[Photos courtesy Dr Phillips Center/Joan Marcus photographer, except the Playbill one]
- Where to Watch the 2017 Solar Eclipse in Central Florida - August 19, 2017
- Win Tickets to the 8th Annual Orlando Fall Home & Garden Show Aug 2017! - August 18, 2017
- Velvet Sessions At Hard Rock Hotel Presents The Fixx Aug 31, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Win Tickets to Disney On Ice: Dare to Dream at the Amway Center September 8-10, 2017! - August 13, 2017
- Out and About: Sampling the New Menu at Highball and Harvest at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando - August 12, 2017
- Taste! Central Florida to Serve Up Delicious Local Cuisine For a Great Cause August 19, 2017 + Win 2 Tickets! - August 8, 2017
- The Florida Orchestra to Welcome Sting for 50th Anniversary Gala Concert - August 7, 2017
- Dine Around Apopka in August to Help Habitat for Humanity Seminole-Apopka - August 6, 2017
- American Idol Auditions Coming to Orlando August 17, 2017 - August 5, 2017
- Save on Back-to-School with Florida Sales Tax Holiday Aug 4-6, 2017 - August 4, 2017