On Tuesday, November 1, I was invited to check out opening night of The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night-Time at Dr Phillips Center.
I didn’t know much about it other than it was a Tony award winning play adapted from the book of the same name, so I was intrigued when I saw the stage set up.
It featured three black walls with a grid layout, surrounded on the top and sides by boxy rows of lights. But there was more than meets the eye to this stage, which featured projections on the wall, moving lights, and secret doors built into the wall to help tell the story.
And that story centered on a teen English boy who tries to figure out who killed the neighbor’s dog. Along the way, he finds out his father, who he lives with, has two very big secrets. Secrets that will change both their lives forever. To say anything more would ruin the big reveal.
I found the story interesting, and the way it is told is inventive and thought-provoking. It’s also rather humorous, including several jokes that break the fourth wall.
If you want to see for yourself, The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night-Time is at the Dr Phillips Center in downtown Orlando through Sunday, November 6.
Tickets start at $33.75 and can be purchased at drphillipscenter.org or at the venue box office.
[Photos courtesy Dr Phillips Center/Joan Marcus photographer, except the Playbill one]
- Busch Gardens Tampa Announces Concert Line-Up for 2017 Food & Wine Fest - February 24, 2017
- Central Florida Fair Returns to Orlando Mar 2-19, 2017 - February 23, 2017
- Downtown Food & Wine Fest Returns to Lake Eola Park in Orlando Feb 25-26 - February 22, 2017
- An Evening with Elayne Boosler Comes to Dr Phillips Center March 8 - February 21, 2017
- Upcoming Central Florida Food Events for Early Spring 2017 - February 20, 2017
- Out and About: Paddlefish Elevates Waterfront Dining at Disney Springs - February 19, 2017
- Headlining Acts Announced for 2017 Garden Rocks Concert Series at Epcot - February 18, 2017
- Lady Gaga Brings Joanne World Tour to Amalie Arena in Tampa Dec 1, 2017 - February 17, 2017
- 138th Silver Spurs Rodeo Returns To Kissimmee Feb 17-19 - February 15, 2017
- Rivers of Light to Open at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Feb 17, 2017 - February 14, 2017