Ms. Wheelchair USA is a national competition that focuses on the empowerment of women with disabilities by allowing them to demonstrate their personal glamour, achievements, and dedication to community service.
This summer, Sanford resident Sylvia Longmire was crowned Ms. Wheelchair USA 2016. She was chosen from among fourteen state and regional finalists who competed for the title on the basis of personal interviews, a platform statement, and formal wear presentation.
Ms. Longmire has lived with multiple sclerosis (MS) for over 11 years, and is the founder of the PreJax Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit that provides scholarships for students with lives affected by MS.
“I started a scholarship program because I was inspired by the sacrifices my own kids have had to make, and I want to see others like them have their burdens lifted if only for a short while. Ms. Wheelchair USA can help me accomplish this.”
She is also a service-disabled veteran, consultant, author, and subject matter expert on Mexico’s drug war and border security issues.
About her win, Ms. Longmire says she is thrilled to represent Latina women, veterans, and entrepreneurs, in addition to Central Florida and the South.
More information about the pageant can be found at mswheelchairusa.org.
- Tijuana Flats to Host “Day of Outrageousness” on October 21, 2017 - October 20, 2017
- Out and About: On Your Feet! a Dazzling Musical Telling of Gloria and Emilio Estafan’s Rise to Fame - October 19, 2017
- WDW Swan & Dolphin Food & Wine Classic Celebrates 8th Year Oct 27-28, 2017 - October 18, 2017
- Spooky Empire Horror Con Returns to Orlando October 27-29, 2017 - October 17, 2017
- Coca-Cola Orlando Eye Launches Spooky Nights and Spider Frights for Halloween Fun - October 16, 2017
- 6th Annual Orlando Sentinel Pink Bash Set For Oct 20 in Winter Park - October 15, 2017
- Go DIY at Maker Faire Orlando Oct 21-22, 2017 - October 13, 2017
- On Your Feet! The Emilio and Gloria Estefan Broadway Musical Comes to Dr Phillips Center Oct 17-22, 2017 - October 12, 2017
- Salty Sweet Women’s Pro/Am Surf Event Returns to Cocoa Beach Pier Oct 14-15 - October 11, 2017
- Sonny’s BBQ Hosts Pulled Pork Palooza Oct 12 for #NationalPulledPorkDay - October 10, 2017