Ms. Wheelchair USA is a national competition that focuses on the empowerment of women with disabilities by allowing them to demonstrate their personal glamour, achievements, and dedication to community service.
This summer, Sanford resident Sylvia Longmire was crowned Ms. Wheelchair USA 2016. She was chosen from among fourteen state and regional finalists who competed for the title on the basis of personal interviews, a platform statement, and formal wear presentation.
Ms. Longmire has lived with multiple sclerosis (MS) for over 11 years, and is the founder of the PreJax Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit that provides scholarships for students with lives affected by MS.
“I started a scholarship program because I was inspired by the sacrifices my own kids have had to make, and I want to see others like them have their burdens lifted if only for a short while. Ms. Wheelchair USA can help me accomplish this.”
She is also a service-disabled veteran, consultant, author, and subject matter expert on Mexico’s drug war and border security issues.
About her win, Ms. Longmire says she is thrilled to represent Latina women, veterans, and entrepreneurs, in addition to Central Florida and the South.
More information about the pageant can be found at mswheelchairusa.org.
- Rascal Flatts to Perform DAYTONA 500 Pre-Race Show February 18, 2018 - January 20, 2018
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup: January 19, 2018: Marlow’s Tavern, The Glass Knife, Brews ‘n’Blues, and More - January 19, 2018
- Praise Wave 2018 Starts at SeaWorld Orlando Jan 20 - January 19, 2018
- James Taylor to Play Two Central Florida Shows with Bonnie Raitt in May 2018 - January 18, 2018
- LEGO® NINJAGO® Days Take Over LEGOLAND Florida Weekends in Jan-Feb 2018 #BuiltForKids - January 18, 2018
- Meet Monster Jam Drivers And Their Monster Trucks On January 18 Around Orlando - January 17, 2018
- Supernatural Convention Comes to Orlando for First Time Jan 19-21, 2018 - January 17, 2018
- Out and About: Otronicon 2018 at the Orlando Science Center Proves STEM is Fun - January 16, 2018
- BIG Something to Play The Social in Orlando on January 17, 2018 - January 15, 2018
- UFC FIGHT NIGHT® Returns to Amway Center with Action-Packed Card February 24, 2018 - January 15, 2018