Ms. Wheelchair USA is a national competition that focuses on the empowerment of women with disabilities by allowing them to demonstrate their personal glamour, achievements, and dedication to community service.
This summer, Sanford resident Sylvia Longmire was crowned Ms. Wheelchair USA 2016. She was chosen from among fourteen state and regional finalists who competed for the title on the basis of personal interviews, a platform statement, and formal wear presentation.
Ms. Longmire has lived with multiple sclerosis (MS) for over 11 years, and is the founder of the PreJax Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit that provides scholarships for students with lives affected by MS.
“I started a scholarship program because I was inspired by the sacrifices my own kids have had to make, and I want to see others like them have their burdens lifted if only for a short while. Ms. Wheelchair USA can help me accomplish this.”
She is also a service-disabled veteran, consultant, author, and subject matter expert on Mexico’s drug war and border security issues.
About her win, Ms. Longmire says she is thrilled to represent Latina women, veterans, and entrepreneurs, in addition to Central Florida and the South.
More information about the pageant can be found at mswheelchairusa.org.
- ‘The Music of Pixar Live!” to Debut at Disney’s Hollywood Studios Memorial Day Weekend 2017 - March 24, 2017
- Passes Now On Sale for OrlandoiX 2017 at Full Sail University Aug 17-20 - March 23, 2017
- Cars 3 Road to the Races Tour Kicks Off at Disney Springs March 23-26, 2017 - March 22, 2017
- PBA South Open Rolls Into Orlando’s Boardwalk Bowl March 24-26, 2017 - March 21, 2017
- Comedian Chris Rock Brings Total Blackout Tour to Dr Phillips Center April 16 and 17 - March 20, 2017
- Out and About: Millenia 106 offer New American Classics Loaded with Flavor - March 19, 2017
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with Complimentary Irish Samplings - March 15, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Returns to Orlando’s Amway Center This Week - March 14, 2017
- Out and About: Planet Hollywood Observatory at Disney Springs Brings Flavortown to Orlando - March 13, 2017
- Osceola Council on Aging Hosts March for Meals 5K Run & Walk March 18, 2017 - March 12, 2017