Last night, The Illusionists – Live From Broadway kicked off the 2016-2017 Broadway in Orlando season at the Dr. Phillips Center, and CitySurfing Orlando was invited to check this enjoyable show.
With his sparkly suits and outlandish wit, comedic magician Jeff Hobson is the ringmaster of sorts for the show. Interacting with the audience, he put everybody at ease while amusing them with his sassy personality and various magic tricks.
Also present throughout the evening, magician Kevin James wowed the crowd with his large-scale illusions involving things like sawing a person in half… with both halves completely visible. Interestingly, James is actually related to the legendary P.T. Barnum. Must be where he gets his showmanship from.
Deductionist Colin Cloud uses the magic of observation and misdirection to somehow know what you’re thinking. In fact, he performed a trick of deduction that not only encompassed the entire audience, but the printed Playbill for the show. That’s talent that would make Sherlock Holmes proud!
South Korea’s Yu Ho-Jin specializes in sleight-of-hand, and it’s a talent he’s honed well. I sometimes didn’t know if he was pausing for effect or for applause, but I enjoyed his manipulations.
Ben Blaque is a weapons master, and his choice of weapon was the crossbow. His magic consisted of dangerous acts of dexterity and straight aim. Watching his act, it’s easy to see why he appeared four times on America’s Got Talent. And that last trick shot was just amazing.
Escape artist Andrew Basso is an Italian master of getting out of dangerous physical situations. Tonight, he was submerged upside down in a tank of water, handcuffed, and feet restrained, and forced to escape before he ran out of air in his lungs. This one had me the most nervous, so kudos to Basso.
Rounding out the touring cast for the Orlando shows is shock magician Dan Sperry, who specializes in illusions that are macabre and even grotesque. Definitely not for everyone, but he was very talented.
Overall, The Illusionists is a show that truly offers something for every one. It’s suitable for most ages, though some of the humor is a little ribald. If you want to be amazed at what your eyes are seeing, definitely check out this show this week while it’s in Orlando.
The Illusionists is at the Dr Phillips Center for the Performing Arts through Sunday, October 9. Tickets start at $30.75, and are available at drphillipscenter.org, and the venue box office.
For more info on the show, visit theillusionistslive.com.
[Photos courtesy Dr Phillips Center; photographer Joan Marcus]
Disclaimer: I was provided tickets for purposes of review. As always, my opinions are honest, and my own.
- Out and About: Christmas Comes to Gaylord Palms - November 21, 2017
- Central Florida International Auto Show Rolls Into Orlando November 23-26, 2017 - November 19, 2017
- The Status of CitySurfingOrlando.com - November 15, 2017
- The Phantom Returns in Love Never Dies at Dr Phillips Center Nov 21-26, 2017 - November 14, 2017
- Festival Of Trees Kickstarts The Holidays At Orlando Museum Of Art Nov 11-19, 2017 - November 10, 2017
- Out and About: The Glass Knife Debuts in Winter Park - November 9, 2017
- Out and About: Fresh Kitchen Opens in Waterford Lakes - November 3, 2017
- Central Florida Foodie Events for November 2017 - November 1, 2017
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Bring Soul2Soul World Tour to Central Florida Oct 2017 - September 25, 2017
- Dr Phillips Center Welcomes Back Bill Maher July 8, 2017 - June 19, 2017