Last night, The Illusionists – Live From Broadway kicked off the 2016-2017 Broadway in Orlando season at the Dr. Phillips Center, and CitySurfing Orlando was invited to check this enjoyable show.
With his sparkly suits and outlandish wit, comedic magician Jeff Hobson is the ringmaster of sorts for the show. Interacting with the audience, he put everybody at ease while amusing them with his sassy personality and various magic tricks.
Also present throughout the evening, magician Kevin James wowed the crowd with his large-scale illusions involving things like sawing a person in half… with both halves completely visible. Interestingly, James is actually related to the legendary P.T. Barnum. Must be where he gets his showmanship from.
Deductionist Colin Cloud uses the magic of observation and misdirection to somehow know what you’re thinking. In fact, he performed a trick of deduction that not only encompassed the entire audience, but the printed Playbill for the show. That’s talent that would make Sherlock Holmes proud!
South Korea’s Yu Ho-Jin specializes in sleight-of-hand, and it’s a talent he’s honed well. I sometimes didn’t know if he was pausing for effect or for applause, but I enjoyed his manipulations.
Ben Blaque is a weapons master, and his choice of weapon was the crossbow. His magic consisted of dangerous acts of dexterity and straight aim. Watching his act, it’s easy to see why he appeared four times on America’s Got Talent. And that last trick shot was just amazing.
Escape artist Andrew Basso is an Italian master of getting out of dangerous physical situations. Tonight, he was submerged upside down in a tank of water, handcuffed, and feet restrained, and forced to escape before he ran out of air in his lungs. This one had me the most nervous, so kudos to Basso.
Rounding out the touring cast for the Orlando shows is shock magician Dan Sperry, who specializes in illusions that are macabre and even grotesque. Definitely not for everyone, but he was very talented.
Overall, The Illusionists is a show that truly offers something for every one. It’s suitable for most ages, though some of the humor is a little ribald. If you want to be amazed at what your eyes are seeing, definitely check out this show this week while it’s in Orlando.
The Illusionists is at the Dr Phillips Center for the Performing Arts through Sunday, October 9. Tickets start at $30.75, and are available at drphillipscenter.org, and the venue box office.
For more info on the show, visit theillusionistslive.com.
[Photos courtesy Dr Phillips Center; photographer Joan Marcus]
Disclaimer: I was provided tickets for purposes of review. As always, my opinions are honest, and my own.
- 139th Silver Spurs Rodeo Teams with Free School’s Out Blow Out June 2-3, 2017 - May 26, 2017
- Orlando Science Center Hosts Science Night Live! Craft Beer Edition June 3, 2017 - May 25, 2017
- Out and About: Nine Spices Serves Up Delicious Hotpot Near Universal Orlando - May 23, 2017
- LEGOLAND Florida to Offer $99 Annual Awesomer Pass Sale May 26-29, 2017 - May 22, 2017
- Orlando Dining News Round-Up May 21, 2017: Portobello, The Halal Guys, Tijuana Flats - May 21, 2017
- The Shining is Coming to Universal Orlando Halloween Horror Nights 27 - May 20, 2017
- Sesame Street Land is Coming to SeaWorld Orlando By Fall 2022 - May 19, 2017
- Ace Cafe Orlando Hosts Grand Opening Weekend May 19-21, 2017 - May 15, 2017
- Orlando Fringe Festival Returns To Amaze And Entertain May 16-29, 2017 - May 14, 2017
- Orlando Thanks Visitors in a Guinness World Records Way for Making it No. 1 Destination in U.S. #OrlandosBIGThankYou - May 13, 2017