I love all things spicy, so when Chuy’s invited me to check out this year’s Green Chile Fest menu, of course I said, “Yes!”
The fest celebrates the green chile harvest in Hatch, New Mexico. Every year Chuy’s contracts with family farmers to grow over 2 million pounds of the very best green chiles on the planet just for them.
Chuy’s then creates a special limited time menu of made-from scratch dishes to serve for three weeks during the heat of the harvest. Which happens to be right now.
We started out with the Queso Fundido (photo top), a mixture of melted jack cheese, chorizo, and roasted green chiles, topped with pico de gallo and cilantro, served on a hot cast iron skillet. It comes with a side of flour tortillas, though the chips served when you are seated work well, too.
We both really enjoyed the flavors of the dish, and the chiles added a little background heat without overwhelming everything else.
For the main dish, I ordered the Burrito Loco, which features a flour tortilla stuffed with green chile and poblano peppers, jack cheese, and charro beans. It’s then smothered in a roasted pork green chile poblano sauce, more roasted green chiles, cotija cheese, and a few slices of marinated red onion. It comes with a side of green chile rice. (I swear there is a burrito underneath all that sauce in the photo above!)
I added a dollop of sour cream to tone down all the peppers a bit, but the dish was so packed with cheesy heat, my taste buds were extremely happy.
I’ve been trying out the Green Chile Fest menu for a couple of years, and I have to say this is my favorite dish so far. I also liked that it could easily be made vegetarian by substituting an enchilada sauce or queso for the sauce it comes with.
My guest ordered the Green Chile Street Tacos, a trio of homemade corn tortillas flash fried and filled with steak carnitas, cotija cheese, tomatoes, roasted green chiles, and cilantro. It also came with a side of the green chile rice.
The steak was well seasoned, and the ingredients worked well together. The only issue she had with this dish was the flash frying of the corn tortillas turned them a bit chewy and tough to bite into. The kitchen remade the dish with regular corn tortillas, and it worked much better.
We finished the meal by sharing a slice of Chuy’s famous Tres Leches cake. The creamy sweetness was the perfect companion to a spicy meal.
The Green Chile Fest menu has one drink on it, the New Mexican Martini. It features Green Chile-infused el Jimador Silver tequila and Cointreau. Taste-wise, it’s like a traditional margarita with a bit of a slow burn on the backside of every sip. The chile flavor was more pronounced after eating the Tres Leches. I liked it, but if I ordered another, I’d drink it all before dessert.
Chuy’s 2016 Green Chile Fest menu is available through September 4 at all Central Florida locations except Winter Park (since it just opened this month). I ate at the location at I-Shops on International Drive. I go there often, and the staff is always wonderful.
Disclaimer: We were hosted by Chuy’s for purposes of review. As always, my opinions are honest and my own.
- ‘The Music of Pixar Live!” to Debut at Disney’s Hollywood Studios Memorial Day Weekend 2017 - March 24, 2017
- Passes Now On Sale for OrlandoiX 2017 at Full Sail University Aug 17-20 - March 23, 2017
- Cars 3 Road to the Races Tour Kicks Off at Disney Springs March 23-26, 2017 - March 22, 2017
- PBA South Open Rolls Into Orlando’s Boardwalk Bowl March 24-26, 2017 - March 21, 2017
- Comedian Chris Rock Brings Total Blackout Tour to Dr Phillips Center April 16 and 17 - March 20, 2017
- Out and About: Millenia 106 offer New American Classics Loaded with Flavor - March 19, 2017
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with Complimentary Irish Samplings - March 15, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Returns to Orlando’s Amway Center This Week - March 14, 2017
- Out and About: Planet Hollywood Observatory at Disney Springs Brings Flavortown to Orlando - March 13, 2017
- Osceola Council on Aging Hosts March for Meals 5K Run & Walk March 18, 2017 - March 12, 2017